HELP! (softmod)

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
PhobosDevourer

HELP! (softmod)

Post by PhobosDevourer »

So today I purchased a v 1.0 xbox, I assumed it was softmodded cause every single xbox Ive met through my life has been, at least where I live, plus it was at a good price ;P
When I booted it it took me to the stock dash, wich was weird to me, it appears to be in the 5838 kernel version
and for some reason it wont let me switch languages at all, im providing screenshots soon.
Im deseperate to be able to ftp cause the harddrive seems to sound as if it was dying.
It even had dead roaches inside, ew.
Anyways, thanks in advice for your help! :D
EDIT: It is softmodded, since it is shows extra options from the stock dash, it also has the same files as my 1.6 running xbmc for xbox media and custom software, and it can run some backups (had to swap drives, the one with it was completely broken, and my spare phillips only reads some games).
Here are the pictures:
Rocky5

Re: HELP! (softmod)

Post by Rocky5 »

That's a v1.0 Xbox & if it's softmodded it must be an old old softmod that uses a BFM Bios.
(Kernel 5838 is a v1.6 kernel)

Or it's TSOPED, with a custom bios.

NKPatcher doesn't change the kernel version, only a bios replacement does. That can be done by 3 ways, BFM Bios, TSOP or a Chip.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

Thanks for the quick reply, Im still pretty noobie at this.
anyway I can access to it via FTP?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

PhobosDevourer wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, Im still pretty noobie at this.
anyway I can access to it via FTP?
Load a disc like Hexen or 2016 Softmodding Tool Extras Disc, both will give you FTP access.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

No need to tsop over it?
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

Doing a quick update on this.
I finally managed to burn Hexen into a dvd (for school reasons), and finally reinstalled the whole softmod, so I ended up ftping xbmc and chimp into the console, however I've come across these issues:

1.I've set up Evo-x as my default dash, however I cant seem to find a way to boot directly into xbmc.
2. Chimp does not display all of the options (cloning hdd, locking, etc.)
It will only display xbox console info network settings etc.
I will provide caps soon, however if anyone could try to help me out on this one I'd be really grateful.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

PhobosDevourer wrote:1.I've set up Evo-x as my default dash, however I cant seem to find a way to boot directly into xbmc.
2. Chimp does not display all of the options (cloning hdd, locking, etc.)
It will only display xbox console info network settings etc.
I will provide caps soon, however if anyone could try to help me out on this one I'd be really grateful.
1. you probably have a file called "evoxdash.xbe" on your E drive. If you don't, then that file is somewhere on your E (or C?) drive. The easiest and cleanest ways to boot into XBMC on a softmod is to use the PC program "XBE Shortcut Maker" and create a shortcut to XBMC and replace evoxdash.xbe with the shortcut it makes. Alternatively, you could copy the contents of XBMC onto your E drive (or wherever evoxdash.xbe is located) and rename XBMC's "default.xbe" file to "evoxdash.xbe", replacing the old one. Note: it's usually a good idea to copy Evox (or another custom dashboard like UnleashX/Avalaunch) to the Xbox and use that new dashboard to connect via FTP before replacing evoxdash.xbe just in case the Xbox needs it (or other files it uses) while you're replacing it.
2. Which version of Chimp are you using? Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing?
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

I will provide that soon, also I looked like crazy for my evox dash file couldn't find it anywhere
I tried the shortcut method cause that's the way I did it on my 1.6 but on this is nowhere to be seen :/
Ill show my screens soon , thanks for your fast reply!
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

Then again a quick update with the screens, I've decided to search for another version of chimp, see if that works or other tool, heres what it shows anyways.
Also theres no evoxdash in my c drive but I fund a folder in my e drive with all the dashes and it has a defaul xbe, should I replace that for the xbmc shortcut?
thanks for any1's help again.
Chimp:
C partition:
Dash folder inside E:
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

UPDATE:
I've managed to get Chimp 2618, guessing that's a version from a youtube video, the hard drive has successsfully been cloned, still I need to be able to boot into xbmc.
I found another folder in E: called shortcuts, should i do a xbmc shortcut to that?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Why not download my disc & burn it to a DVD-R then use the restore to factory option in the advanced settings menu.

You can then resoftmod the system from the MSDash, so you don't need to use a game to do it.
(Read the UDDAE Instructions.txt)

After that use the disc to install a clean copy of XBMC.

This will get rid of any of the faff on your E partition.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

Because I already redid the soft mod I just want to know what xbe file I need to replace for my xbox to boot to xbmc, since I also have it on the hdd and can be launched as an app.
So in short, I just want somebody who has used Hexen's disc, to tell me which file I need to replace, to boot to xbmc using the shortcut method.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Ok
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

PhobosDevourer wrote:Because I already redid the soft mod I just want to know what xbe file I need to replace for my xbox to boot to xbmc, since I also have it on the hdd and can be launched as an app.
So in short, I just want somebody who has used Hexen's disc, to tell me which file I need to replace, to boot to xbmc using the shortcut method.
E:\Dash\default.xbe is more than likely where your softmod is looking for when it tries to boot the dashboard. Try copying over a recent copy of XBMC to E:\XBMC\ and then just create a shortcut to "E:\XBMC\default.xbe". If you already have XBMC on your hard drive, change the shortcut path as needed. Then just copy the shortcut file that the shortcut maker app generates and copy it to your Xbox to E:\Dash\default.xbe and XBMC should then start automatically.

I personally haven't used Hexen but your dashboard being located at E:\Dash\default.xbe would not be surprising at all.
Last edited by GoTeamScotch on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Your dashboard would seem to be E:\Dash\default.xbe

This is why I said to update to mine, you shouldn't have to faff about with shortcuts, with mine you just stick the XBMC folder in C or E & that's that.

Simple & piss easy to update dashboards.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Koitsu

Post by Koitsu »

That green dash isn't stock, btw, it's an old tHc Lite mod. You can tell by the way it "flips" into place at startup. The stock dash doesn't do that, and it doesn't have the shimmering orb.

There's likely a config.xbx file somewhere that you could open with Notepad. Anyway, without being able to see your entire E drive, it does look like your dashboard is in E\Dash\ as said, but I've seen xboxes with a Dash folder and Dashboard folder...and it ended up being in the Dashboard folder.
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

Never said it was stock ,i said it looked stock.
Thanks btw i was really intrigued by where that came from, wiped now, redid the softmod with Hexen's disc