Can tsopped xbox softmod other Xbox drive?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Eel_dahc

Can tsopped xbox softmod other Xbox drive?

Post by Eel_dahc »

Hello, first post.

Once an Xbox is tsop flashed can it read a drive from another Xbox? For instance can I soft mod a different Xbox drive using the tsopped board?
xman

Re: Can tsopped xbox softmod other Xbox drive?

Post by xman »

"Once an Xbox is tsop flashed can it read a drive from another Xbox?" You can read it providing it isn't locked to the machine it come from.

"For instance can I soft mod a different Xbox drive using the tsopped board?"
Well you can create a Xbox drive with a softmod installed on it on a TSOPed machine but the problem is a Hdd or Xbox drive needs to be locked to work on a non modded machine. More importantly, the drive needs to be locked to the machine you put it in. Here lays the problem. You need the machine modded to use any of the locking tools and a softmod won't work until it is locked. If you lock the drive on your modded machine and try to put that drive in a non modded machine, the machine will see it is locked to another machine and not work. Only way around it is to softmod the machine itself with the drive in that machine or TSOP or chip the machine and put the drive into it but then if you have the machine TSOPed or chipped, why would you want it softmodded?. A TSOP or chipped machine is far superior to a softmodded machine.
Eel_dahc

Post by Eel_dahc »

I have an xbox without a DVD drive. The clock cap leaked, kept restarting, power button didn't work. After rinsing it off and drying in a toaster it boots up fine.

So I was going to (hopefully) tsop flash it, using a DVD drive from another box.

I was thinking of using this Xbox to test drives in to see if they boot in it. For instance, before I found the leaky cap I thought that the hard drive was bad.

I was confused about the drive locking and you cleared that up for me. Thanks.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

God I'm confused now lol

DVD drives from all Xbox work in any Xbox.

Hard drives don't, they require the hard drive to be locked to the Xbox motherboard eeprom key.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

Is it just me or is anyone else thinking wtf at
After rinsing it off and drying in a toaster it boots up fine
And I thought kitchen appliances were limited to xbox casings in the dish washer, obviously I haven`t seen the potential in all
other kitchen items, microwave etc :shock:
Eel_dahc

Post by Eel_dahc »

Lol yes I know its crazy but I wanted to make sure it was !thoroughly! dry. I had to scrub all of the capacitor juice off after I popped the clock cap off of the board and I was low on alcohol so I just rinsed it off under the shower. I do not recommend it at all. Not good of course because of corrosion but this was a box that was free and it had no DVD drive in it.

This board started by itself when plugged in sometimes it stay on or just keep resetting. Eject would start to eject then go back in and shutoff. I thought it was the common corrosion for the power buttons till I saw the cap juice. It seemed screwed anyway so I took the chance.

Got it softmodded now, going to try to flash the stop next.
xman

Post by xman »

Hmm, my bad presuming drive was hard drive. Didn't even think DVDrive. :oops:
Eel_dahc

Post by Eel_dahc »

You were correct. I meant the hard drive, not the DVD drive.
I just didn't know what I was talking about.

Got this thing tsop flashed to use without a dvd drive but slapped a PC dvd drive in it instead for watching dvds and put a push button on the outside of the case to close and eject it. Only downside is I need to reload xbmc when I change a disk, but at least i don't have to restart the Xbox.

Went from trash to useful. Thanks
vp74

Post by vp74 »

U can softmod an unmodded ogXbox with a tsoped ogXbox.
Doesn't matter if the hdd is locked. U put the 2 xboxes side by side with open cases.
You put on the unmodded Xbox a music CD to play for 5 minutes.
You put on the tsoped Xbox s drive a copy of hexxen tools to load.
Select ur favorite softmod one click method and wait for the umodded Xbox s hdd to be unlocked after playing the music CD for 5min. When the 5 6min passes you remove the ide cable from the tsoped chipped Xbox and you connect it to the unlocked now unmodded Xbox s hdd. You press start on the hexxen and softmod starts. That's it.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Six year old thread but still an interesting technique I'd not heard about as a way of unlocking a Xbox whether modded or not.

It suggests to me a, now possibly better, use for it with FATXplorer ie. unlocking and then hot-swapping to PC either USB IDE external housing or direct IDE connection if available. Copy in some softmod files and then swap the HDD back.

Might work and no disc drive being needed, the big advantage.
vp74

Post by vp74 »

I've done my first with the pc and swap but now that have lots ogxboxes it's easier for me to have an ind-bios tsoped for softmodding the others and then backup eeprom or tsop them too instead of my pc. Thought it might be useful to someone that softmods lots of xboxes at once cause it works great with music CD or a any game loaded for 5 6 minutes. :)