xbox power supply rev 1.0

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
smuddge

xbox power supply rev 1.0

Post by smuddge »

anyone know what resistor is at r10 on rev1.0 power supply

mine is blown and the resistor is burned so bad i can't see the lines to determine what its value is.

i have been asking around but no one is responding anywhere.

i know its old but I hate having things end up in landfill would rather fix it if i can.
barabasbricks

Re: xbox power supply rev 1.0

Post by barabasbricks »

Picture of the power supply?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI GRA-L09 met Tapatalk
smuddge

Post by smuddge »

here is pic

you can see at bottom of photo there is a missing resistor. r10 is location.
Attachments
20160417_163838.jpg
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I know its not what you are asking but this looks like a cheap replacement supply :-)
http://m.ebay.com/itm/251395849875?_trk ... mwBanner=1

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
xman

Post by xman »

R10 is a 68k 5 watt wire wound resistor. You may be lucky and the power supply will work fine once it is replaced, however there is a chance it blew because something further down the circuit drew to much power and caused it to fail. You have nothing to loose really. The resistor should cost under $1. If you get a new one in there just be mindful either it might blow or the part it feeds down the line in the circuit may. When testing it, leave the lid off the machine and watch what happens when you power the machine up. Any smoke or explosions and you know there is something further in the circuit causing the issue. The part may have just snapped off the board too. Mine has glue holding the resistor to the transistor heatsink located directly above it.
smuddge

Post by smuddge »

im looking all over for this resistor. I can't find it stocked anywhere.

digikey canada doesn't stock this part.

can you direct me to a site i can find it possibly?

@ xman thanks for the help. would not have got this information without you.
xman

Post by xman »

You can substitute the wire wound for a metal oxide or ceramic resistor if you can't find a wirewound. Both will handle the heat this part obviously has to endure.

Here is the power supply....

The resistor is in the middle of this picture. Note how the resistor body is mounted to the outside of the board and a lead is left to form a loop to the other inside mounting hole on the board. Also note this long lead is covered in heat shrink. Mine actually looks like it has two layers of heat shrink on it. This may be to stop arcing from the nearby heatsink. It may be worthwhile preparing your resistor exactly like this....

Lastly, here is the mount holes for the resistor. The red arrow is the solder point where the resistor body is mounted. The green arrow is the solder point of the long lead.

PS... really pissed of with this "new camera". Seems this new 12 megapixel Nikon really suks at taking good, clear pictures. Give me my old Kodak 4 megapixel back any day. That camera took amazingly sharp pictures 1st time around. Believe it or not, to get these pictures I had to take over 10 pictures and these were the sharpest of all of them.
asbo

Post by asbo »

xman wrote: PS... really pissed of with this "new camera". Seems this new 12 megapixel Nikon really suks at taking good, clear pictures. Give me my old Kodak 4 megapixel back any day. That camera took amazingly sharp pictures 1st time around. Believe it or not, to get these pictures I had to take over 10 pictures and these were the sharpest of all of them.
It might be doing that because it's exposure is set too long, make sure you haven't got the flash forced off or night time mode enabled(assuming the camera has those functions). If not, check if there is an exposure setting.