Removing Disc Drive Tray Face Plate

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Coldly-Indifferent

Removing Disc Drive Tray Face Plate

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Does anyone here know the correct way to remove the Xbox disc drive tray drawer face plate?

I have a unusuable Samsung disc drive (failing laser) from a Crystal Xbox but the replacement disc drive I have is a standard black Xbox Hitachi drive and I'd like to swap the faceplates.

The face plate design and attachment system looks to be the same for all the disc drive makes used but I can't work out how to get them off. At least not without the risk of doing the tray or the plate iteself some damage.

Advice appreciated.
barabasbricks

Re: Removing Disc Drive Tray Face Plate

Post by barabasbricks »

Pull the faceplate towards you, and lift the faceplate....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI GRA-L09 met Tapatalk
Coldly-Indifferent

Sorry but your instructions are a bit unclear without knowing which way/how the tray is positioned to start with.

I have the tray plus faceplate detached from the main disc drive and it is lying flat of the table with the disc receiving side upwards and the faceplate towards me so I can see the Xbox logo.

So which way do I have to pull and lift with that orienation?
xman

Post by xman »

Turn the DVDrive upside down with the DVD tray in the closed position. Grab the face plate in your left hand with your thumb facing up and 1st finger under it and hold the DVDdrive in your right hand. Now flex the face plate down and you will see a gap appear between the face plate and the drive. You will now notice two tabs on the face plate that have come away from the drive tray. Once they are clear of the DVD tray, push the face plate down with your thumb to slide it off the tray . To put it back on, with the DVDrive assembly up the right way, (not up side down), put the face plate on the slides that are on each end of the tray and slide down. The face plate will go down the sides and continue pushing the face plate down till it "clips" in place. Alternatively you can turn the DVDrive up side down, grab the face plate with your left hand, thumb at top, spread till the gap appears and put a butter knife in the gap and use the knife to lever the face plate till the tabs are separated. Now rather than twist with your thumb, push down on it and it will slide the face plate off the tray. :D
Coldly-Indifferent

Thanks, a very good and clear description.

I did in fact work out from the first reply how to do it once I'd realised you needed to flip it over so the underneath was facing you. I then noticed there were only two tabs, as opposed to the five tabs on the top side of the plate, and it was fairly obvious those were the ones you had to release and the technique required. It turned out to be easier than I expected.