Is there anyway to flash tsop

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
geep

Is there anyway to flash tsop

Post by geep »

I am wondering if there is a way to program the on board tsop like what is done with the 360 just wire in a flasher and read and write the on board flash got 5 version one x boxes with no hard drives
professor_jonny

Re: Is there anyway to flash tsop

Post by professor_jonny »

yip :-)

but it depends on the version of the xbox. any thing other than a version 1.6 can be tsop flashed.

as none have harddisks you would need a mod chip to get the xbox working with a make shift harddisk first to flash the tsop.

alternatively you could rip the eeprom with a i2c cable and create a new harddisk with xboxhdm and flash the tsop that way.

what I would do is get a modchip, boot the console with an auto installer dvd such as hexen install a soft mod then from the soft mod run xblastos or hexen and flash the tsop.
geep

Post by geep »

Not to be rude but i dont think you get what i meant what i am looking for is a way to just program the tsop like they do with the 360 jtag port like hook pc based flasher to xbox mother board and read and flash tsop with a pc
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

geep wrote:Not to be rude but i dont think you get what i meant what i am looking for is a way to just program the tsop like they do with the 360 jtag port like hook pc based flasher to xbox mother board and read and flash tsop with a pc
Why do you want to do it? ...what's your use case?
geep

Post by geep »

use would be to be able to just flash the tsop then de solder the bridge without having to have a mod chip which i dont have and they seem to be and hard to get anymore i have 5 xboxs that dont have hard drives and they are all stock i think you can flash the tsop over the lpc header been looking for info on this seems like there might have been away to do this but most info on xbox-scene is gone
professor_jonny

you need a programmer you cant do it in circuit like the xbox360 with a jrprogrammer like the 360

you would have to desolder it clean it up and put in test burn socket/ external programmer flash it and then solder it back alternatively
you could use a nand clip/ ProgSkeet but it is a lot more hassle than it is worth and no info around if you can even do it.

just don't ask for support from here as to my knowledge no one has done this before, the ProgSkeet forums might be able to help.

you can get a chip from bennydiamond (aka psyko_chewbacca) he made some just recently I can vouch for him being reliable.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/xbo ... ion.58923/
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=2937
professor_jonny

geep wrote:use would be to be able to just flash the tsop then de solder the bridge without having to have a mod chip which i dont have and they seem to be and hard to get anymore i have 5 xboxs that dont have hard drives and they are all stock i think you can flash the tsop over the lpc header been looking for info on this seems like there might have been away to do this but most info on xbox-scene is gone
you can not flash from the lcp header as per say you need to have a mod chip with the tsopd6 bios installed to do this.
bacsicallt it boots a small bit from on board tsop then it loads the rest of the bios off the mod chip enabling the tsop wr re lines to flash the tsop with your favourite tool.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

You absolutely can't flash the TSOP without getting the machines to boot first.
A motherboard with a stock BIOS can't boot without an HDD locked with his unique password.

You could use an EEPROM reader to retrieve the HDD password for each machine then build a HDD from a PC using XboxHDM then lock/unlock the HDD for each machine.

I strongly recommend you to get a modchip, you only need one and they are not that rare. http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info ... cts_id=266

Else you need to desolder the TSOP and use an EEPROM programmer. $+ and good luck.
geep

Post by geep »

Found this on the way way back machine kinda what i wanted but it is very complicated think is something like the progseek https://web.archive.org/web/20041208190 ... lksop.html
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

geep wrote:Found this on the way way back machine kinda what i wanted but it is very complicated think is something like the progseek https://web.archive.org/web/20041208190 ... lksop.html
Ok, now I see why you contacted me!

If you want to reflash the TSOP you can use a 29-wire modchip and follow this guide : http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop.php
For this, you'll need a compatible flash chip and a way to put a BIOS on it.
SST39SF020A is the perfect candidate for your needs. A 256KB flash chip you can put a hacked BIOS on.
To program the BIOS onto the chip, you'll need a flash/eeprom programmer. I suggest the TL866 as it's really cheap ($40) and modern (USB interface, PC software still maintained). There are cheaper alternatives (Willem programmer) you can buy but they mostly interface via your PC parallel port and do not support as much devices as the TL866.

After you have your flash chip programmed, you need to solder it to the Xbox motherboard. You'll need to be patient as you have 29 wires to solder to the vias on the backside of the motherboard, near the TSOP/MCPX area.

The other solution is to use a LPC modchip. With a modchip, you can boot a hacked BIOS from it. Cheap Aladdin XTs (still available for purchase) are already flashed with a hacked BIOS so you'd be good to go with it. You'll never have to boot from TSOP again and installing a new hard drive in your xbox will be really easy, providing you have a working Xbox DVD drive.

If you really want to reflash your TSOP, you could buy a XBlast Lite which does have the ability to reflash the TSOP. You need to have a XBlast Lite modchip and a working DVD drive connected to your Xbox. Soldering is also much easier than the 29-wire modchip repair method!
You can find more information on how to repair the TSOP using XBlast Lite here : https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/l ... a_features