xbox help required - buldging caps

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
sixties keith

xbox help required - buldging caps

Post by sixties keith »

Hi all, i have an xbox i used all the time and recently when turning it on it would either stick or simply do the power on and power off by itself 3 times and then flash the lights in a cycle.

I used this xbox along time and before this never had a problem with it, expecting it to be something like the clock cap i opened it up, to find 2 or 3 bulging caps ina different place, Its the 3 large ones located in front of the cpu heatsink, one actually hissed gell outa it once i touched it the slightest bit.

Can these be replaced? What do they do etc? can provide a pic if required cheers

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
sixties keith

Re: xbox help required - buldging caps

Post by sixties keith »

This isnt my pic, its just to point out the caps im having problems with in an xbox that has the same placement as me. The 3 im having problems with are located under the right hand heat-sink (3 in a row)

Had a look and there doesnt seem to be anything else wrong with it, all other caps look good, was always kept clean and cool etc

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
xman

Post by xman »

See if they are all connected to each other, many are on the mother board and are there to filter the 5vDC power supply and a lot can be removed when running smaller power supplys so you could try just removing them as it is probably one that has shorted out and therefore shorting the 5vDC rail to ground. If it doesn't like having them removed put new ones in. Just make sure the uF is the same value and the voltage is the same or higher than that written on the caps.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

thanks xman, is there anywhere i can find out more info on what exactly can be or has been removed in the past without side effects?

It never rains but its pours as the saying goes, just had someone come back with an xbox i sold them dead as hector :(

NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

From your picture it looks like you have a v1.2-1.3 xbox console.

In regards to the caps, the clock cap should be removed (excluding. v1.6 consoles)
Clock cap is located within a cluster of caps on the bottom left of the MB. (SuperStor)

The caps below the CPU are 3x Nichicon HM Series (3300uf 6.3v)
I've been told that the HM Series have been known to fail (http://www.badcaps.net)
It would be recommended to use Panasonic FJ Series as replacement caps. (low ESR)

*FJ Series should also be used as replacements for the Nichicon HD caps (1500uf 6.3v)
All other caps on the MB can be replaced by Panasonic FR or FM Series caps.

Reparing Original Consoles:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=4222
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

@NeMesiS - thanks for that info thats will be of great help, couldn't believe it when i opened it up to see that. 2 xbox's with problems in one days after years without a hitch lol

aye i didnt bother usually about the clock cap but gona do it to all my consoles now. What exactly makes the other caps fail? is it simply a usage thing or is it due to heat etc?

ive found the xbox's that usually fail tend to have been stock for alot longer, i have an xbox here that has been modded since the original text based media centre was about and never had a problems with it, stilol used as the main xbox now, it hasent even had the clock caps removed, hadd a look at it recently and its looks brand new inside lol

xman

Post by xman »

sixties keith wrote:thanks xman, is there anywhere i can find out more info on what exactly can be or has been removed in the past without side effects? (
I would start by asking Asbo. He may be able to help you because he did a super slim a while back and I believe he removed a few of the caps. Removing some caps was also required to run the machine's on ATX power supplies to lower the inrush current and therefore the wattage required. Just remember, it only requires one to short out and you are actually shorting out the 5vDc rail and the power supply won't come fully on line. The caps will go one leg to the 5vDC rail and the other to the ground rail. You could try unsoldering one leg of a cap and lift that side of the cap and then try booting up the machine. If it makes no difference, solder the leg back in and move on to the next cap. If you find a shorted cap and it boots up, your in business. If it were a 1.6 machine I would most definitely be changing the on board regulator as pictured earlier in the post. I have had a few of those die on me before.
sixties keith wrote:It never rains but its pours as the saying goes, just had someone come back with an xbox i sold them dead as hector :(
On that machine I would be using a meter to see exactly what voltages aren't there. If you have no 3.3vDc standby, good chance it is the line fuse right near the mains input plug. If you have absolutely nothing on the 5vDC after trying to boot up the machine, the power supply is most likely dead. If the 5vDc is low but still there, you have a 5vDC rail short, like your cap would be doing on the upper machine. :x

Two machines dieing in quick succession, Was there a thunder storm lately?.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

no mate, just unfortunate the 2 machines broke at the same time. my own machine (with the caps) is just down to usage tbh, not sure about the other console, its literally worked and now is totally dead.

tried 2 different power supplies (known working) in other boards but nothing simply dead, no lights or anything. I thought stuff it, its completly broke n as it was only softmodded i thought ill use it for parts after abit more testing, so i threw a completely different power supply (one out of a crystal) expecting it to either blow up or do nothing and to my surprise the orange front ring came on, as did the fan boot etc so was very weird, still i think the voltage was off as the fan seemed to power cycle a few times and tbh i didn't keep it in very long, was just surprised that the board actually powered after its own power supply and 2 others of the same sort known working did nothing.

As for the first machine, i will defo test your method and see if i can find a problem cap, unfortunately i think i'll have to replace a few of those bulging / burst ones first

asbo

Post by asbo »

From what I remember, and looking at photos, I just laid the big caps down rather than removing them completely.
I can take the lid off and have a proper look for you if you want though? :)

Link to photo
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

yes please do, would really like to get this xbox working again as i had put so much time into modding it. (also can i say damm thats some xbox in the pics, nice work indeed)

also luckily the dead xbox is exactly the same model and the 3 caps on that one are fully intact

asbo

Post by asbo »

I wrote the below and then found this picture which shows the capacitors I removed:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/j ... NY0043.jpg
although I could have sworn I just saw an almost identical picture but with less caps in a row. The illness does affect my mind so its probably better to look at my pics than rely on my memory etc :lol:
I've had a look at the motherboard and its the same as in the photo. I've marked the obvious capacitor spaces and also the hidden one. I think its stock though as there is solder in the holes and there probably wouldn't be if I'd removed those capacitors.

I took a fair number of pictures whilst I was working on it and they are here and here.
I actually intended to work more on it/make another, but my health has prevented me from doing so :(
xman

Post by xman »

asbo wrote:From what I remember, and looking at photos, I just laid the big caps down rather than removing them completely.
I can take the lid off and have a proper look for you if you want though? :)

Link to photo
Shit, I thought my dodgy knee was affecting my head after reading that. It's not like I forgot the nights you spend on that machine.
@ 60s- it isn't something really dumbarse like a faulty controller cable plugged in is it?. I say dumbarse because that is what I called myself one night for doing exactly that. :evil: Using a controller that had one of the inner cables shorting to ground all inside the cable shielding and completely out of view. On removing the affected controller, the problem "magically" went away. :shock: Don't get me wrong, I do like magic. I just hate the fact it took me about 2 hours for the "trick' to work. :x
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

nah mate unfortunatly ive tried it with several different pads, i really dont know what the fella did with his xbox never seen one die like that, not too worried now as he hunted another one out of his loft and says if i softmod that and add some stuff hes happy enough. Still would like to know what happened especially since it tried to power with that 1.6 psu but sure its parts at least which leads me onto....

my xbox still the same prob, it actually booted and worked for abit last night, then once powered off and on again, 3 boot ups and light cycle so defo is to do with those caps i think, i'll remove them and see what happens, if they arnt just for 5dc and are required i can simply swap out the goods ones out of the broken xbox or at least have a go lol

xman

Post by xman »

Try powering them up without the HDD and DVDrive plugged in. See if it then gives you an error with the front LEDs.
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

asbo wrote:I wrote the below and then found this picture which shows the capacitors I removed:
although I could have sworn I just saw an almost identical picture but with less caps in a row. The illness does affect my mind so its probably better to look at my pics than rely on my memory etc.
I've had a look at the motherboard and its the same as in the photo. I've marked the obvious capacitor spaces and also the hidden one. I think its stock though as there is solder in the holes and there probably wouldn't be if I'd removed those capacitors.
The motherboard in the picture is obviously a v1.1
I believe the cap on the bottom left of the MB is missing. One of the silver 1500uf 6.3v is also missing.
However the cap that is hidden is only present on a v1.0 and would be filled with solder.
Alternatively a v1.6 may have been used as it has least amount of caps compared to other versions.
Or with v1.2 to 1.5 boards, they have 3x 3300uf 6.3v caps instead of 5x 1500uf v6.3 caps...
Maybe this could be applied to the v1.1 console?

My thoughts anyways...
Attachments
v1.4-1.5
v1.4-1.5
v1.1
v1.1
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

nps cheers the the info, still not had much luck with it but to be fair ive been fairly busy with work so havent had a real chance to check it out, was simply gona remove the caps (think mines a v1.4) and replace with like for like caps out of another broiken xbox (no other cap damage or other problems could be found)

@xman - is there a set of lights specifically i should be looking for, it just cycles between the 3 colors cheers