2tb Hdd Seagate weird noises - WTH?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
CapedCrusader

2tb Hdd Seagate weird noises - WTH?

Post by CapedCrusader »

So, my new HDD simply beeps/ blips/ chirps or whatever you call it. The sound is very similar to a beep of PC speaker, eg. when a PC starts.

The beep (produced by the HDD mechanism) happens repeatedly every second when the HDD is working but not recognised (eg. Xbox with a wrong adapter or PC while Xbox-formatted).

With a good adapter it works normally in Xbox, but every time I power it off I can hear a split-second beep from the HDD. The same when powered off on a PC.

It is not a huge problem but I'm afraid it may indicate further problems with the drive.

Any advice?
CapedCrusader

Re: 2tb Hdd Seagate weird noises - WTH?

Post by CapedCrusader »

Funny - I have just noticed that the 1tb Samsung in my PC has the same chirp at shutdown - maybe it's normal then? I don't know any more...
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

that noise is the park sequence before it parks it writes the smart table to increace the park counter then swings back
update the firmware on the drive, some segate drives have faults with sleep modes and keep waking and sleeping when they shuld not.
recent breeeds of segate drives often chirp for no reason at all and it is to do with bung firmware.
CapedCrusader

Post by CapedCrusader »

Thanks for the info!

Is it possible to change firmware in a HDD?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

yes you need to type your serial number and model in the the checker at the segate web site then if there is one available it will direct you to a download that you burn to an iso and update the firmware on your pc.

some segate drives have faulty firmware but segate not adressed them all yet dont be supprised if there is not a firmware update for your drive.
CapedCrusader

Post by CapedCrusader »

Thanks!