What is this on the back of my XBOX

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Poundrick

What is this on the back of my XBOX

Post by Poundrick »

I have attached a picture can anyone tell me what has been added to my xbox I am new to the scene so please be gentle with me.
Attachments
What is this mod?
What is this mod?
asbo

Re: What is this on the back of my XBOX

Post by asbo »

Looks like component(YPbPr) out and maybe the white one is digital audio. It means you won't have to buy xbox component leads to get 480p/720p out, although you will need some male to male component leads.
Poundrick

Post by Poundrick »

Thanks Asbo have you any idea how to activate them I've plugged the leads that came with the sytem into my tv and there is no picture? Would this output option be better than using a component RGB cable?
asbo

Post by asbo »

Just so I'm clear, you've plugged the xbox in using a cable like this?

Really I can only guess at how those connectors are wired inside the xbox but I'd assume you'd get exactly the same output as you would with an xbox component cable like this:
That being said the xbox requires certain pins to be connected in its A/V connector in order for it know which type of cable it has connected and which video mode to output(shown here if you're interested). In fact the xbox won't even boot without a video cable plugged in. This means there would need to be a switch or permanent connection between said pins in order for it boot and know to output component video to those connectors.

I'm guessing that you might have plugged the xbox in with the cable in the first picture as well as a composite cable like this:
If so it would be jolly confused and you should try with just the first cable.

Could you take the lid off the xbox and take a pic so I can have a better idea of what's going on in there?

I hope I've covered everything :)
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

you would need to select component mode via the mode select pins on the xbox avip connector or using switches soldered to the motherboard.

by default with nothing connected the xbox wont select a default av pack to make those component plugs work.

you can find info here on how to set a mode on the avpack:
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm

my thread here is a project along those lines to select a default pack with a little circuit and cycle pack types with a break out board but I have not had a chance to finish it all off as I'm way to busy at work and life out side of the xbox world for the mean time :-(.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=3644
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

And of course you select the right input selection on the tv