Sound Output At The AVI Plug.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xman

Sound Output At The AVI Plug.

Post by xman »

I have a project that needs sound in the Xbox itself. I'm just wondering, can I use 2 small 1/2 watt speakers, one per channel of sound, connected directly to the sound output wires inside the Xbox before they go to the AVI connector and will it be audible or will I need to use an amp?. Also with this setup, will I still be able to use the sound output at the AVI connector to still drive the connected device, a T.V. etc?.
These are the speakers I was thinking of using internally...
http://www.dx.com/p/diy-yd15a08-04w20-0 ... aD9T7UzJAM

bigkidoz

Re: Sound Output At The AVI Plug.

Post by bigkidoz »

Interested to see if this will work, an xbox with lcd and on board speakers would be pretty cool. I saved a pair of speakers from an old TV but i think they will need an amp of some kind.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
xman

Post by xman »

If your just after sound on the Xbox an easy way is to rip apart a set of USB powered speakers like those used on your PC. these work fine as the amp is part of the speaker set itself and that board can be fitted inside the Xbox easierly. This is my alternative idea if I do indeed need an amp but I would prefer not to use an amp if I can use these small speakers without them.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Good idea, like a docking tray built in. I like to think of the Xbox as a badass mp3 player for the TV.

How about something USB powered? If you wire up a powered hub on a relay with a controller port.

Or a Bluetooth stereo audio module. For wireless audio of course.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4N410G

What about that amp?
xman

Post by xman »

It is actually a pair of these LED effects kits I want the sound in the Xbox for. I need something for the mics to hear for it to work. The unit won't be as basic as this when I'm finished with it but for the price of a pair of these kits plus a few mods, it should give a nice LED effect I'm hoping. Doesn't matter how loud the in Xbox speakers are as long as the effect board's mic can hear them, it should work. I have got two of these boards, one for each channel so as to give a stereo effect. Something I couldn't do with one SickMods sound board I have. Yes I agree, the Xbox is a badass mp3 player for the TV but it is also an excellent music video player. Either way I figure a cheap but functional stereo LED effects setup would be a nice upgrade and that is what I'm out to do.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-Voice-Cont ... 1582268036
asbo

Post by asbo »

I reckon it'll work. I used to use headphones connected directly to the xbox with no amp and had to have the volume at -30 otherwise it would be too loud. I doubt you'd be able to hear much from those speakers once they're inside the xbox but for the LED effect thingy I'm sure it would work.
I don't know much about these things but couldn't you just wire the audio output straight into mic input on the LED effect board?
xman

Post by xman »

asbo wrote:I reckon it'll work. I used to use headphones connected directly to the xbox with no amp and had to have the volume at -30 otherwise it would be too loud.
Well that sounds very promising and you also gave me another idea. Rather than order and wait for those speakers to arrive that will probably take another 2-3 weeks, why not rip apart a set of cheap head phones I can get locally in a day?.
asbo wrote: I don't know much about these things but couldn't you just wire the audio output straight into mic input on the LED effect board?
It could work but I would prefer to keep the sound circuit isolated from the LED effects circuit. It could back-feed the 5vDC supply I'll power the effects board straight back into the Xbopx's pre amp circuitry as a worse case.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

The interesting thing to do would be to have one audio stream playing some fancy epic noise to the internal speakers and then the normal stream to the television with the system audio. Absolutely no idea how you would do such a thing though. ;)
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
asbo

Post by asbo »

xman wrote: why not rip apart a set of cheap head phones I can get locally in a day?.
Sounds like a good plan to me :)
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

it will work but the output from the xbox is lowlevel if you are driving speakers you really need an amp to get any real oomph out of them and if you overload the xbox output it could damage something also, it's not best practice not to say it won't work I have done it before also.

but the level display would probally work and cause no ill evvects if its input level is the same as the xbox output level.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

xman wrote:Sound Output At The A/V (Or RCA?) Plug.
FTFY. AVI is a (old outdated) video container. :wink:

Speaker, line and headphone audio levels are not the same but they're very often confused.
Line level = 100-600 ohms. 1-2v.
Headphone level = Most headphone are 32-64 ohms. Low impedance ones are 16-32 ohms. Some have higher impedance, mainly for studio usage (ex: several headphones connected to the same output in parallel). ~1v.
Speaker level = 0.5(very powerfull DVC subwoofer) to 16 ohms, High voltage: 5-10-100 volt RMS.

So line and headphone level are kinda compatible, but speaker level is not compatible with the others at all.
I've once blow a phono input on my first A/V receiver as a kid, learned to respect different audio levels since then. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level#Line_out
wikipedia wrote:Connecting a low-impedance load such as a loudspeaker (usually 4 to 8 Ω) to a line out will essentially short circuit the output circuit. Such loads are around 1/1000 the impedance a line out is designed to drive, so the line out is usually not designed to source the current that would be drawn by a 4 to 8 ohm load at normal line out signal voltages. The result will be very weak sound from the speaker and possibly a damaged line out circuit.
The Xbox sound chip will not appreciate this. It might work forever, but it's outside the range it was design for.
Try it as is, but only if you don't care about eventually breaking something on the Xbox motherboard.
To make the Xbox sound chip happy you would need to mount at least 10 of those 6 omhs speakers in series on each channel. But then, you won't have much power to drive them.

The impedance of the speakers make a big difference. Lower impedance = more wattage flowing through the speakers = more volume.

You can use a small amp board which will draw next to no power and will be connectable on the Xbox 12v.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au?ViewItem&item=261886439965
That's where you should start IMHO. Get one of these board to suit the quality of the sound you want, depending on what speaker you use.
Don't waste your time with high quality amps if you don't use high quality speakers. The one I linked should work just fine. Never used this exact one my self though.

Can we have more details on the project ? :)
Unless you're trying to install speakers in a slim and want them hidden, I would at least use ½ decent coaxial car speakers.
3.5" shallow mount speakers should be fittable on the top cover. One could even mould a fibreglass box in the back.
I agree that it's out of the scope of what you see to originally been planning, but at least with decent audio quality for an entire room, not just a coffee table.