Xbox Linux NAS

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
spicemuseum

Re: Xbox Linux NAS

Post by spicemuseum »

NeMesiS wrote:Do the first gen RPi have USB2.0?
Yes.
NeMesiS wrote:I believe RPi2 Model B have 900MHz Quad Core processor, 1Gb RAM and 4xUSB2.0 ports.
Correct.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

NeMesiS wrote:
psyko_chewbacca wrote:I have a first gen 256MB RAM Model B. I doubt having 512MB of RAM in my case would have boosted performance significantly.
Do the first gen RPi have USB2.0?
Have you tried OpenMediaVault.org?
I believe RPi2 Model B have 900MHz Quad Core processor, 1Gb RAM and 4xUSB2.0 ports.
Yes all Raspberry Pies have USB2.0. A USB HDD under USB1.1 would reach like 500-600KB/s max transfer rate alone(no other traffic on USB bus). Let's not talk about bus sharing between USB HDD and LAN interface!

OpenMediaVault looks cute lol! Much too bloated for my taste. I prefer to set everything once via command line and never touch it again! Of course, if you have a machine with lots of ressource to spare and you constantly need to modify your sharing parameters this thing becomes useful.
For me, I cannot justify using it. As stated earlier, I run my server on a very old Atom machine, no UI, Samba, NFS, FTP, Sickbeard(yeah yeah, I'll change to sonar when I have the time), transmission daemon(+webUI), ShellInABox and a few cron jobs. With all that running, I don't any web service hogging ressource that could translate to better transfer speeds if they weren't used by some nice web UI! Network shares are set at OS install and I don't think I ever changed them(maybe created some temp FTP accounts but that's all).

If you know what's you're doing when setting up your own NAS, you'll always get better performance than those ready-made "distro" that focus on looks and ease of integration. Don't get me wrong, I'm not degrading their usefulness; not every one are skilled or willed enough to set up a whole NAS via command line the way they really want it. These distro provide the ease of setup needed at the expense of "wasted" ressource.

I don't plan on purchasing a Raspberry Pi 2. I already have my Atom server and a Cubox-i4pro running OpenElec.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

spicemuseum wrote:
asbo wrote:
Geeba wrote:HP microserver!
This, this, a thousand times this!
Install a BIOS mod...
Yep. The Spice Museum has a G54 powering its data centre.
Are you refering to your handle in the third person or is there an actual spice museum?
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

NeMesiS wrote:I dunno the HP microserver maybe a good option for UK residence,
but they seem very expensive and uncommon in Australia.
Doesn't seem to be as many on Aussie ebay, but they are there for similar to UK prices....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-PROLIANT- ... 1e9f4d1cc1

260 bucks, about £130 with a best offer as well... not to bad :)

They really are fantastic boxes... I do like R-Pi's, got a few myself, but I find once you've messed about buying all the bits for them they seem to not work out as cheap as you thought they were.. and there always seems to be a compromise with them...
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

Geeba wrote:I do like R-Pi's, got a few myself, but I find once you've messed about buying all the bits for them they seem to not work out as cheap as you thought they were.. and there always seems to be a compromise with them...
I know what you mean but theres the satisfaction that you built something yourself.

If i were to build a RPi NAS in a xbox, My parts list would be as follows;
(I would probably also want to use this for XBMC and emulators)

1x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B $55
1x TP-Link WR703N mini Router $35
2x 3.5" WD Green SATA HDD $180
2x 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter $5
2x Sata to mini USB board $4
2x mini USB to normal USB cable $4
1x 110W Dell Power Supply $10
1x Molex to 2 SATA Power Cable Splitter $2.50
1x Good qualtity HDMI cable $10
2x 360 control recievers to USB $5
1x 80mm Bearing/Maglev Fan $15

Around the total of $520aud approx.
HP microserver 260 + 2(180) = $620aud approx.

I've thought about having duel RPi's, one for NAS and the other for entertainment.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

Raspi prices just dropped, most expensive now is $35
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

(Assuming that's USD...) Lucky you.

For those of us not living in the colonies, a penny shy of thirty pounds gets you a Pi2, or you can have a model B for just under twenty.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

The price took a dive to match the new $9 "chip" thingy. So im guessing the price dropped everywhere.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

What would be cool would be a working smb server, then hook up a ps2 to opl the files, just cos.