Case Mods Showcase

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
GoTeamScotch

Re: Case Mods Showcase

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Here's one I finished over the weekend. I kept the paint scheme pretty simple. The white parts are new paint and the black are part of the stock case.

Mods: TSOP flash w/ iND-BIOS, controller port mod (color-changing/linked to power circle), heatsink replaced with passive cooler, re-pasted with MX4, 250GB HDD (soon to be 2TB). Planning on doing a TSOP BIOS bank switch.

There's a few minor spots I need to touch up on but for the most part it came out looking really sharp!
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Very clean! :)
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

GoTeamScotch wrote:Here's one I finished over the weekend. I kept the paint scheme pretty simple. The white parts are new paint and the black are part of the stock case.

Mods: TSOP flash w/ iND-BIOS, controller port mod (color-changing/linked to power circle), heatsink replaced with passive cooler, re-pasted with MX4, 250GB HDD (soon to be 2TB). Planning on doing a TSOP BIOS bank switch.

There's a few minor spots I need to touch up on but for the most part it came out looking really sharp!
Very nice box. I am planning on doing controller port mod myself, but how do you link it to the power/ejectbutton lights?

Sent fra min NX551J via Tapatalk

Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

LudviG wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 pmVery nice box. I am planning on doing controller port mod myself, but how do you link it to the power/ejectbutton lights?
Thanks! Basically, I took a set of 4 wires and soldered them to the underside of the motherboard where the power/eject connector plug is. The set of 4 wires splits off into 2 and each set of 2 goes to the left and right respectively. I only ran the positive current through the wires (left green + red and right green + red). From there, each set of 2 wires is connected to each bi-color LED. The negative lead of the LED is then soldered to the existing ground point inside each of the controller ports.

These photos are from the 1st time I did this mod a while back. I have photos on my camera at home of the wiring from this specific case (it's much neater and I use heatshrink and such).

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Nice, thanks for the info. It looks awesome!

Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

A couple better photos -

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I finally finished one of my ongoing Xbox projects.

Nickname: Black Crystal
Version: 1.6
250gb HDD
Upgraded IDE cable
80mm fan mod
New thermal paste
Painted HDD and DVD rom
Black jewel
Purple leds under jewel (they look blue on pics sadly)

ImageImageImageImageImage

GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

And TSOP switch is done :D

I didn't have a SPDT switch that wasn't huge so I used a SPST power switch instead. The switch goes into a 5v relay which is double-throw so that is what switches the connection points. The +5v line goes through an LED pointing out of the bottom so there's a very slight green glow on the bottom indicating which bank is in use. It's very subtle but still noticeable enough to tell at a glance which BIOS bank is enabled.

Quick Q - if I botch a BIOS flash on one of the banks, can I boot to the other and flip the switch to fix the broken one? Does switching BIOS banks after boot mess anything up?
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Just wanted to share with you all a project I've been putting together over the past few weeks. Here is a special edition Smoke Xbox. These were only available in Japan. This particular one was sold as "used", but it came in the original box with all of the manuals and cords sealed in their packaging. I haven't opened anything that arrived to me sealed. It also came with the matching controller and a stamped metal keychain with the console's number on it (out of 50k). The whole lot feels like it's totally brand new. When I got it, it had ~2 gamesaves on it from 2016 and that's it.

Mod list: This Xbox can be seen in this video where I review and install the 70mm silent fan listed above.

Note: the above video focuses on sound and doesn't reference temps. Stock fans do obviously move more total air but I haven't finished testing.

Also fyi, I'm selling the HD component cables. Auction ends 7/30. http://r.ebay.com/ugbAR1
BigDom

Post by BigDom »

Hey Guys,
I thought I'd leave some pictures of my Xbox here!

The Original Picture of the Kid I've bought it from he was around 10 years and must have tried to get into the console at some point

There still is this quite big hole in the front, but it doesn't really bother me that much right now!

The holes on the top piece were filled in with hot glue and the big Crack with some super glue.

Afterwards, I've painted the whole top piece in a shiny black with the typical blood splatter style to distract from the filled in area.
BTW after you've painted just one piece black you really notice, that the console itself is actually green! :lol:

Because I had seen a lot of these controller port LED mods I tried doing the same with what I had on hand which were SMD LEDs which didn't work. :)
So I went with one of these USB powered SMD 5050 RGB stips!

I'd recommend turning down your speakers/headphones! :!:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRpIwVCY2k4[/youtube]
This should be a YT Video!
DjRicochet1

Post by DjRicochet1 »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/SQiO5FDFtVY[/youtube]

Here's one of mine.