NeMesiS TSOP Flasher & Auto Installer 3.0

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
NeMesiS

Re: NeMesiS TSOP Flasher & Auto Installer 3.0

Post by NeMesiS »

Rocky5 wrote:Why not use UnleashX & compress everything into rar files & then unzip it on the console & replace the dash xbe with Evox & then launch it?
Couldnt possibly fit all this on 8mb memory card and I dont think the .xbe would launch without an exploit otherwise you could just do it all off a DVD. Same reason why you need a mod to run copied games.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

NeMesiS wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:Why not use UnleashX & compress everything into rar files & then unzip it on the console & replace the dash xbe with Evox & then launch it?
Couldnt possibly fit all this on 8mb memory card and I dont think the .xbe would launch without an exploit otherwise you could just do it all off a DVD. Same reason why you need a mod to run copied games.
You can fit UnleashX, evox, 256kb BFM Bios & loader, + a rar filled with stuff on a 8MB memory card with space left.

Have a look at my Softmod package, you will see how mine is setup & it's setup so it fits on a 8MB memory card.

Biggest bios you will have is 512kb (x2 5035)
(EvolutionX & gentoox will resize bios to fit, well they just write them 4 times if the bios is 256kb & twice if it's 512kb, note Gentoox writes to all TSOPs, loads bios from "C:\Bios\Bios.bin" Evox writes to all bar winbond)

If you're compressing files, use winrar & don't zip them, rar them. Also everything bar UnleashX, the unleashX config, the BFM bios, bios config & the BFM bios loader can be compressed to a rar & when you run the exploit you unrar everything & relaunch UnleashX to initilize the new Config.

Only downside is UnleashX is 2MB in size, but it's the only dashboard that supports unraring files.

Personally I would only include the most used bios.

M8+, M8, X2 5035, x2 4983, Ind-Bios 5003 & 5004.

Ind-Bios 5003/5004 & X2 5035 support 128MB ram & the HDD partition table.

X2 4983 only supports 128MB ram.

M8 & + version only support the LBA48 hack.

LBA48 hack is a hardcoded partition table, ie, 137GB on F rest on G or all on F & only supports 1TB.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

[quote="Rocky5]You can fit UnleashX, evox, 256kb BFM Bios & loader, + a rar filled with stuff on a 8MB memory card with space left.[/quote]

If you still need evox for flashing then I dont see the point of over complicating this for something thats not neccessary, especially when evox works fine for this purpose. The only advantage that I could see is that if UnleashX can make a backup of a BIOS from 1.2-1.5 version xbox as a 256k bios.bin.

Also had you read more of this topic you would realise that the objective of this project is to standardise things like the BIOS and Dashboards giving noobies a nice complete platform to start with. Advanced users should have the know how to make changes to the BIOS as they see fit. This TSOP Flashing Tool is deisigned to be simple and effective, requiring minimal modding know how and experience.
Rocky5 wrote:M8+, M8, X2 5035, x2 4983, Ind-Bios 5003 & 5004.
Again these BIOSs have been discussed earlier in this topic;

EvoX M8 Supports upto 2Tb HDD (not sure bout 128mb RAM)
X2 4981 Supports 128mb RAM and upto 2Tb HDD
X2 5035 Supports 128mb RAM and upto 2Tb HDD (512k only bad)
iND 5004 Supports 128mb RAM and upto 2Tb HDD (256k only good)

Generally the iND 5004 is still listed as 5003 but the way to tell is when you press the black and while buttons together on the control, if it shutsdown you got a 5003 but if it doesnt its 5004 and that bug is pretty much the only difference between the two.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

That sounds like a feature not a bug lol
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

seriouslycgi wrote:That sounds like a feature not a bug lol
The bug was that it was meant to be both triggers and back and white for shutdown not just back and white... I think black and white before, either way it was meant to be 4 buttons for shutdown not 2..
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Unless the bios supports custom partitions ie, the partition table, you cannot have 2TB, so out off those bios you listed only two support the partition table.

The max cluster size is 64kb that only supports upto 1TB, this is why when you use say X2 5035 or Ind-Bios you are required to split F & G equily.
(900+GB each)

I'm trying to help you here :shock:

Just in case you don't know, the partition table was added to bios late in the game & allows custom partitions, ie, support for more than 1TB hdds, the LBA48 hack doesn't allow custom partitions, so it's 137GB on F & the rest upto 981GB or so on G, or you can have F take all the space, but above 981GB you will get data corruption due to the cluster size limit.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

Rocky5 wrote:The max cluster size is 64kb that only supports upto 1TB, this is why when you use say X2 5035 or Ind-Bios you are required to split F & G equily. (900+GB each)
Thats why I chose the iND 5004.67 (F&G) as a standardised BIOS for this project. Being 256k in size it is cross compatible with all TSOP Xbox Versions 1.0-1.5. Having a easily customisable config file also makes it unnecessary to reflash the BIOS, a good platform for a noobie to start with.
Rocky5 wrote:I'm trying to help you here
Didnt mean to come off the wrong way, I dont really like to repeat myself. I've completed the project with over 1mb spare, there was a damn backup folder I forgot to delete. I might make a quick demo video tomorrow and another full video over the weekend where I will TSOP flash a virgin unopened console.

@Rocky5: What are the odds of getting a mini sd adapter to work on the xbox? Is there a size limitation? I'm gonna have to give it a crack tomorrow.

@Anyone: Should "reset on eject" be enabled or disabled as default?
I just found it a bit strange when you eject a game and it stays on the screen...
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

NeMesiS wrote:
seriouslycgi wrote:That sounds like a feature not a bug lol
The bug was that it was meant to be both triggers and back and white for shutdown not just back and white... I think black and white before, either way it was meant to be 4 buttons for shutdown not 2..
I wonder if igr is bad for the hardware? It would have been awesome if they had coded not only igr but off switch combo too, then we could mod a controller to press those buttons with one button (custom added) then it would be a lot like a 360 controller, the center decal(jewel) on the controller could be used as a button for on off (with yellow cable mod) idk. Might make another thread.
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

How does one edit the initrd and vmlinuz files from raincoat? Sorry linux noob...
Just some quick pointers to get me started I should work out the rest...
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

NeMesiS wrote:How does one edit the initrd and vmlinuz files from raincoat? Sorry linux noob...
Just some quick pointers to get me started I should work out the rest...
I made custom initrd there is a post on here somewhere, it might of been on the old forum.

It has the ability to load a Linux bash script from outside the initial ramdisk stored on the xbox hdd

The cleaver thing you could copy on another script and customize a flash tool that could be used as an auto installer and supported windbond chips.

It did bios file size verification on startup and did selection using a keyboard or controller for input as I patched in drivers for the controller to map buttons to keys on the keyboard.

Only problem is that I did not or could not figure out how to compile busy box and patch it in the initrd I messed with different built tools and finally gave up.

The raincoat flasher disk busybox build was rather stripped down did not have all the Linux commands to do file verification checks so I remed the lines hoping someone would follow on from my attempts.

I used it several times to do windbond flashing booting Linux and loading bios images off hdd.

the initrd you have to have the image under 4 or 8 mb I think because of available ram and I could not fit all the bios images and scripting to do a complete flash tool and I wanted to make it simple and small.

here is the link:

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 942#p13942

it brought up a little text menu and psarsed on the selection to raincoat flasher.

I used file to disk on the pc to mount the initrd as a disk then ran a emulator on windows of a Ubuntu install.

I had to do it this way for netbsd socket emulation as I had a winmodem and it did not work under Linux.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

If you don't mind me asking. Why are you wanting to edit raincoat?

There are apps out there that can flash all versions of TSOPS (that's from 1.0/1.5), that's including the Windbond variant.
(Gentoox loader & XBlast OS can flash all TSOPS & they require no additional files, ie, there just an XBE file.)

You could even edit the Gentoox loader/XBlast OS source to load directly into the bios flash screen.

Just saying since this way you don't need the user to know what version of Xbox they have or what TSOP chip they have.
(Obviously v1.6 can't be flashed, but the user only needs to look at the manufacturing date on the bottom of the console)

Also if your doing a disc version, I have editied the Configmagic source to only backup the eeprom data & return to the dashboard, I never used this with my Softmod package as I couldn't reduce the xbe size :? (Wouldn't fit on a 8mb card) so if you want a one click eeprom backup tool I can send you it.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
professor_jonny

I think the plan is to automate it somewhat which I can understand but xblast has a basic script engine that may do what he wants.

I did it for my own use before xblast os was about and it ran from the mechasault exploit as it was the only hackable game I had.
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

@PJ: Interesting read, would have been nice if you had succeeded...
Rocky5 wrote:If you don't mind me asking. Why are you wanting to edit raincoat?
One curiosity, two the raincoat I'm using has a stupid bug where instead of looking for bios.bin and config file within its directory, it looks for it in the 007 savegame (e:\UDATA\4541000d\000000000000\bios.bin).

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=2293
Rocky5 wrote:I use the Gentoox loader to flash Winbond TSOP's since the 007 Raincoat flasher stopped working, for no apparent reason.
Which probably explains that...

The raincoat I'm using is from "007 TSOP Flash Kit v1.0 alpha"

http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name= ... le&sid=160
Rocky5 wrote:There are apps out there that can flash all versions of TSOPS (that's from 1.0/1.5), that's including the Windbond variant. (Gentoox loader & XBlast OS can flash all TSOPS & they require no additional files, ie, there just an XBE file.) You could even edit the Gentoox loader/XBlast OS source to load directly into the bios flash screen.
professor_jonny wrote:I think the plan is to automate it somewhat which I can understand but xblast has a basic script engine that may do what he wants.
Thanks, I'll have a look into Gentoox Loader...
professor_jonny wrote:I did it for my own use before xblast os was about and it ran from the mechasault exploit as it was the only hackable game I had.
Same here... I've been away from the scene for almost ten years, gentoox & xblast are all new to me...
professor_jonny wrote:Also if your doing a disc version, I have editied the Configmagic source to only backup the eeprom data & return to the dashboard, I never used this with my Softmod package as I couldn't reduce the xbe size (Wouldn't fit on a 8mb card) so if you want a one click eeprom backup tool I can send you it.
Nice... But doesnt EvoX do that too? When I use the ID_Backup command it gives me a copy of the bios, eeprom & hddkey... If someones going to TSOP their console couldnt you just unlock the HDD and not have to worry about locking it again not like you can go one xbox live anymore... I could be missing something, cant remember what the lock, unlock & eeprom things was all bout...
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

It just does it automatically, so you select/load the xbe & backs up the eeprom in 3 variants & then reloads the dashboard.
(Basically the same as selecting the option in Evox but using any dashboard)

Since I don't use Evox as the dash, it requires the user to load Evox & select an option & then select another one to return to the dashboard.

On a side note XBMC does this also, think the command is BackupSystem or SystemBackup.

It's a pity the Evox dash source isn't available, as I could have made that auto backup the eeprom onload saving space & making it seamless.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

Rocky5 wrote:It just does it automatically, so you select/load the xbe & backs up the eeprom in 3 variants & then reloads the dashboard. (Basically the same as selecting the option in Evox but using any dashboard)
Did you manage to get rid of all the media, like that intro that seems to go on forever?
Rocky5 wrote:Since I don't use Evox as the dash, it requires the user to load Evox & select an option & then select another one to return to the dashboard.
Fair enough...
Rocky5 wrote:On a side note XBMC does this also, think the command is BackupSystem or SystemBackup.
Didnt know that...
NeMesiS wrote:It's a pity the Evox dash source isn't available, as I could have made that auto backup the eeprom onload saving space & making it seamless.
I agree the EvoX dash could use a bit fine tuning...
Using the Evox [action] you can do the following;

Code: Select all

[Action_20]

Info "Prepare HDD"
Warning "Format & Install"
Warning "Files to New HDD"
Progress "Processing..."
#
ConfigSector "\disk.bin"
Format c:
Format e:
Format f:
Format g:
Format x:
Format y:
Format z:
#
copy "\xboxdash\" "c:\"
copy "\evoxdash\" "c:\"
copy "\xbmc4xbox\" "c:\"
copy "\apps\" "e:\apps\"
#
hddlockdisable
It would be nice if you could throw one of the following in the mix;
Item "Backup",ID_Backup, or...
Item "Reboot",ID_Reboot, or...
Item "Launch EvoX","c:\evoxdash.xbe"

So you can backup, format, install, unlock and reboot with one click of a button.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

NeMesiS wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:It just does it automatically, so you select/load the xbe & backs up the eeprom in 3 variants & then reloads the dashboard. (Basically the same as selecting the option in Evox but using any dashboard)
Did you manage to get rid of all the media, like that intro that seems to go on forever?
Yes, it's the XBE, a background & a font file.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
professor_jonny

NeMesiS wrote:@PJ: Interesting read, would have been nice if you had succeeded...
it did work I just had issues with busybox being so cut down and could not do file size verification checks which raincoat currently does not do.

the plan was to dump compare size with selected then flash if all was ok.

As it was it worked well just the script could of been more automated I just could not figure out how to patch in a more feature packed version of busybox.

I can't find the initial ramdisk file I had with the patched linuxrc file or I would flip it on for you to play with.
arnesr

Post by arnesr »

xman wrote:
NeMesiS wrote: Back in the day I only ever used M8plus, it worked fine for what i needed for and never thought to change. Of course in the process of this project I had to see if there was a better alternative. Its nice to discover something new and I am impressed with the iND BIOS with config file...
M8 plus is fine but does have issues with 1 and 2TB satas. The original M8 bioses do not. That is the reason I use them even when it is a smaller IDE HDD because I often get asked to up the size of the fitted HDD with a large sata. Having the older M8 bioses enables me to prepare the 1 or 2TB sata HDDs in one of my spare machines and literally swap it with the original HDD in the customer's machine without doing anything to the bios. Laziness I guess. :D but I am also the master of standardization. I also used M8 bioses with Aladdin modchips because they were actually listed as being "suitable" for up to 2TB machines. They still quote this in current Aladdin modchip ads. As for configuring the bios like the IND bioses can, I found once I had the M8 bios I liked, I just uploaded that to my flashing version of EvoXDash and do this via the app but that again I found not real necessary because no matter the colour combo etc you select, you only see that splash screen for a second or 2 at best however, if the machine is destined to be a slim , I do use that modded bios because it does allow for "No DVD Check" and I also have the LED colour set to work as a check list on bootup. That being red till the bios splash screen, orange means made it past the bios splash screen and green, XBMC has booted. The bios also has no EVOX logo or MS logo. The Xbox logo is the colour of my avatar I use on this forum with a bright white outline.
spicemuseum wrote:Any chance of 're-discovering' and posting your recipe here?
It is gone and would require a full re-write. :twisted: Would any one be after a fresh "How To Build a 2TB machine From Scratch" other than you Spice?. If it is just for you I think TeamSpeak may be the way to go and that way, what would take me hours of typing and picture editing would take about 1 hour using TeamSpeak. I build these machines in about an hour from stock to 2TB ready to load then you can spend the next 3 days loading it with content.
I would be interested in a "How To Build a 2TB machine From Scratch" tutorial. I've done a couple years ago but forgot most of the details. It would be good to have and I believe I still have the parts to do another some day. I've moved on to other platforms for media, but miss the game/emulation aspect of the o'l box.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

+1 for the 2TB tutorial :-)
I would like to make a "forever Xbox " possibly using NeMesiS Tsop on a virgin Xbox 1.4 I just received .
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

TSOP Xbox with Ind-Bios 5003/4
Insert new 2TB hdd.
Insert disc with UnleashX as the main dashboard.
UnleashX will load & ask you to format the drive, press both triggers & start.
Run XBPartitioner v1.3
Press (B)
Press (start)
Press (Y)
Hdd will be formatted & new partition table will be written.

That's you done, F & G will have equal space of 900+ GB.

Exact same procedure with a softmodded Xbox only you use Chimp to clone & format the new HDD, before running XBPartitioner.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5