Softmod hdd upgrade using chipped box .?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
hawsey

Softmod hdd upgrade using chipped box .?

Post by hawsey »

Hi ,
help required please,

I am in the process of starting a box upgrade and want to double check I am on the right track at the moment I have a chipped xbox with a 320gb drive and also a softmodded one with a 160gb drive in , both have virtually the same content on the drives I.e xbmc4xbox 3.5 and a Games folder with emulators in and also Xmugen

What I need to do is now upgrade another softmodded xbox with the stock hdd up to a new 160 gb one and have the same content on it .

I know I need to have a copy of the Eeprom from the softmodded box and get this on to the new hdd and locked but am not sure the best way to proceed ,

Thanks in advance as always :-)
professor_jonny

Re: Softmod hdd upgrade using chipped box .?

Post by professor_jonny »

your in the wrong section but chimp or xbox hdm method is what you are after.

you could also create a new hdd in the chipped xbox then lock it with the eeprom then pop it in the other xbox, that way you can just pop in hexen to mod it saving a lot of hassle with xboxhdm.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Professor_jonny
Ooops can somebody move my thread please , I used tapatalk and it looked like I was in the right section ( honest)
I will do that then as I have HeXen already on CD
So I have not done this before I.e swap eeproms so will need my hand held so to speak .
Would this be right
Hook up my softmodded box that needs upgraded , ftp in to it and take a copy of the e.bin file .
Then put the new hdd in to the chipped box,
now I am unsure about this bit do I use softmod or hardmod options at this point ?
Then do I unlock the hdd , delete the old eeprom file and put in its place the softmodded one , then lock the hdd again ;
Does that sound about right .
professor_jonny

yip pop the new hdd in the chipped xbox and do a full rebuild/soft mod install.
You could lock and test it all works on the chipped xbox if you can disable the modchip that is.

If not leave it unlocked, then you can lock the hdd with the dump of the eeprom from the box you want to upgrade.

Then just pop it in the softmod box and you will be all go.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks will be on the case tonight
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I am in the process of trying this right now ,
So I ftped in to the softmod Xbox I want to upgrade the hdd on and I have found a folder in E/backups/eeprom/backup and in there are a few files , one of them being eeprom.bin , is that what I need to put in my new hdd ?
Thanks
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I've got my new hdd in my chipped box now and HeXen loaded up , I've also ftped the backups folder with the eeprom in it across but I'm not sure how to proceed professor_jonny :-(
Do I click on softwood xbox tools, then one click softmod install ? If so then will it give me an option to put in the eeprom I have off the xbox that is getting upgraded ?
I am lost lol
Also the box getting upgraded will be PAL and the chipped one I'm building it on is NTSC , will that matter .
Cheers
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

hawsey wrote:I've got my new hdd in my chipped box now and HeXen loaded up , I've also ftped the backups folder with the eeprom in it across but I'm not sure how to proceed professor_jonny :-(
Do I click on softwood xbox tools, then one click softmod install ? If so then will it give me an option to put in the eeprom I have off the xbox that is getting upgraded ?
I am lost lol
Also the box getting upgraded will be PAL and the chipped one I'm building it on is NTSC , will that matter .
Cheers
Why do you not just use chimp to upgrade your hdd?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi thanks , but I have a feeling I'm almost there , do you know where I will find the eeprom that I need to replace with the one off my xbox I am upgrading please ?
I have file explorer loaded up but just can't find it ha
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I've not used chimp :-(
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I have the drive in my chipped box , built ready for the eeprom then lock it to put in the softmodded box but I just cant find where you put it .
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I gave up tonight ha , I couldn't find any options to load a different eeprom and then lock it within HeXen , I did find what looked like the old eeprom so I deleted that , put the new one in its place and locked the drive , but alas no joy :-( I think I need a step by step for this pretty please .
Would chimp be better than what I tried , if yes how please .
Thanks guys .
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Hey Hawsey, ever consider doing a TSOP mod? Could be easy if your new softmodded xbox is a 1.6. I wish I could help a bit more but I need to do some serious brushing up on softmod stuffs.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

Watch this and it will show you how to use chimp, the only issue you may have is the separate power supply for your new hdd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdstTRnINk. You could get power from another box just make sure they are feed from the same electricial supply. :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Just looked at that video ,very good bid , I think it looks doable for me , I will try that tonight or tomorrow .
And yes it's a crystal 1.6 but have never looked in to TSOP is it easy on a 1.6 ?
Cheers
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

hawsey wrote:Just looked at that video ,very good bid , I think it looks doable for me , I will try that tonight or tomorrow .
And yes it's a crystal 1.6 but have never looked in to TSOP is it easy on a 1.6 ?
Cheers
You cannot do a TSOP on a 1.6 sadly :( I used the version of chimp on the last Slayers disk on my 1.6 and that worked fine.
professor_jonny

hot swapping an ide drive is bad, you should never do it they were not designed for it, you risk damaging your xbox, hdd or both.

the method I provided is safe just format the hdd in a chipped xbox install a soft mod then lock it with the dump of the eeprom/ hddkey from the softmod box you want to upgrade.

there are plenty of tools on the pc to lock a hdd hirens boot disk has an array of tools cd I believe you can even do it from chimp if you run it on your chipped xbox.

running chimp on the modded xbox is save if you have a no dvd sheck bios and can boot with tht second hdd connected.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks guys , I have the drive built and have the eeprom and hddkey in a folder called backups but where do I put it ? I can't see an eeprom.bin file anywhere on the drive I have built other than this one that I ftped across .
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

hawsey wrote:Thanks guys , I have the drive built and have the eeprom and hddkey in a folder called backups but where do I put it ? I can't see an eeprom.bin file anywhere on the drive I have built other than this one that I ftped across .
It is the one from your softmod box that you want to use. :)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I know that lol but where do you put it ? :-) it is still in the backups folder that I transferred it across from the softmodded box in .