Spider GX vs Xecuter 3 - differences?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
XC-3730C

Spider GX vs Xecuter 3 - differences?

Post by XC-3730C »

I have the chance to get a Spider GX solderless modchip. I have seen pictures of one installed in an Xbox with an X3CP. I have an X3CP, but I am wondering what are the differences between the Spider GX and Xecuter 3?
professor_jonny

Re: Spider GX vs Xecuter 3 - differences?

Post by professor_jonny »

very little really but the xecuter has a backup flash bank and 2mb of flash while the gx has just the 2mb.

with the x3 the whole flash bank is available to the user but in the gx only 1mb is available

The OS in the x3 is more refined and offers more tweaking options. with the gx there is no option of a soldered or pin headder install.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Are any of the Spider GX's L D features any different than the x3's? What is the advantage of the x3's backup flash bank?
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

XC-3730C wrote:Are any of the Spider GX's L D features any different than the x3's? What is the advantage of the x3's backup flash bank?
X3 backup flash is a physically separate chip to store a 256KB BIOS you can boot by holding both Power and Eject button on your Xbox front panel. You usually put flashBIOS or anything that can help you easily reflash your main X3 flash chip (the 2MB one). I figure it was a failsafe decision to add it in case you completely corrupt your main flash chip and you don't have the X3 ConfigLive Bios flashed on it(As it's possible but completely senseless to have a X3 chip and not have a bank on it flashed with the X3 BIOS).

Now, hijacking a little this thread! Is SpiderGX OS compatible across all Xbox revisions (1.0 to 1.6b)?
I ask because if that's so, I could extract their X-Code table and memory timing values to integrate them into XBlast OS. I've been having issues with SmartXX init code and I can't quite put my finger on what's the problem. Maybe this could be solved using theirs!

So is it 100% compatible, were there any reports of strange boot behavior with those chips?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

It supposed to be compatible with v1.0-1.6. Once ai get it, I can help you with whatever, as long as you can tell me what to do, since I am not familiar with how this chip works
psyko_chewbacca

XC-3730C wrote:It supposed to be compatible with v1.0-1.6. Once ai get it, I can help you with whatever, as long as you can tell me what to do, since I am not familiar with how this chip works
It's not hard really. What I would do is install it in a 1.6b, power it ON and OFF a couple of times and check if there are occurences when it doesn't boot.
Repeat the same thing on a 1.6(a) and on another revision of your choice (preferrably 1.0).

I think I'll just browse Xbox-scene forums for any post that relates to trouble booting on certain revisions.

Thanks!
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Scratch this request. I got the xbox which I found out is a 1.2, and I am pretty sure this is an Xecuter 3 chip installed.
psyko_chewbacca

No problem.

I found some posts on Xbox-Scene that confirms booting issues of the SpiderGX on 1.6b consoles.