Hard drive upgrade issues

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
hawsey

Hard drive upgrade issues

Post by hawsey »

Hi help please :-)
I have an xbox that boots normal with power on and with both power and eject pressed boots to a evo x / xbox / Linux screen to xbmc,
It seems to have the stock hdd ,
If I put in a 180 gb hdd it will boot to original dash with an error or if both buttons pressed it gets an orange light which is normal but no video output on screen
I tried booting first with the stock hdd then swapping the drives also but no luck
It will boot a slayers disc .
Any help appreciated ,thanks
hawsey

Re: Hard drive upgrade issues

Post by hawsey »

So this box won't boot a slayers disc unless it has the stock drive in but the light at the front still goes orange with both eject and power pressed .
Do you think it will work if I clone a drive from another known working chipped box using chimp ?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

What modification does the console have? (I'm guessing that it has a modchip, but I'd rather not make any assumptions.)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Well I am pretty sure it's a modchip because you can either boot to stock dash with a single press and you get a green led or it boots to modded dash with both buttons pressed and an orange light .I'm not sure you can do this with a soft mod but am probably wrong , he he
It only seems to work with the stock hdd in tho :-(
asbo

Post by asbo »

If you're taking it apart to swap the hard drive out why not just check if there's a modchip in there? Then you could see exactly what's going on in there.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

It's an Aladin XT , I looked back through previous posts and I took a picture and Heimdall identified it as such and you also helped out spicemuseum I think I gave up trying to sort it but really want to do a modded box for my son's room now .
I know I could soft mod if I can boot Hexen or similar but how would I put the bigger hdd in then ? Would chimp and the hot swap method work ?
It's weird how it only seems to boot to the chip if the stock hdd is in tho .
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

Have you checked that you have the large hdd set to master or cable and not slave :?:
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I've tried both
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

Do you know if the hdd is working and that it is compatible :?:
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hmm that I don't know , I will try it in my other chipped box that works ok and try build it in that box , should it then work in this one ?
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

If both the boxes are chipped you should be able to move the hdd from one to other.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

it is possibly partition table corruption on the drive.

pop it in a pc initilize it then put it back into the xbox to setup.

slayers takes ages to load if the partitont table is bung.

to prove my point if you are ftping files to e and then in slayers format f drive you have to power off to recover from the crash.
in the process it corrupts the hdd and takes to min to load slayers after that to get to the formatting options.

once you format it again it is away like normal.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for the help guys , going to swap over the hdd from a know working chipped box to confirm .
xman

Post by xman »

hawsey wrote:Thanks for the help guys , going to swap over the hdd from a know working chipped box to confirm .
Just make sure both HDD are unlocked before you go swapping them over between machines ;)
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers do I use Hexen to do that ?
xman

Post by xman »

I use Slayers myself.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Almost sorted now thanks for all the help .
I think it turned out to be the jumpers after all as I tried again in each position and finally got a drive to boot with the modchip on , slayers would not work for me so I have used Hexen which I have had success with before all was going smoothly except I can't get it to boot to xbmc using the hexen tool to create it for me , I just get a blank screen with some flickering at the top of the screen .
The only thing I was unsure about when building was when it asked did I have PAL or NTSC , I chose PAL as that is the correct region for the UK even though I have switched it to ntsc using the software , is that right or should I have gone for ntsc?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Got this sorted now , finally built the drive in my good xbox and it now boots to xbmc (a very old one ) in the box I want it in so I have marked up the stock drive in case I ever need it again and put the xbox back together , things still to do , ftp new xbmc4xbox , the emulation stuff and maybe a couple of original games I have suitable for my 5 year old :-)
I'm waiting for a hd cable off Amazon and a wireless controller then we will be good to go....
xman

Post by xman »

hawsey wrote:Got this sorted now , finally built the drive in my good xbox and it now boots to xbmc (a very old one ) in the box I want it in so I have marked up the stock drive in case I ever need it again and put the xbox back together , things still to do , ftp new xbmc4xbox , the emulation stuff and maybe a couple of original games I have suitable for my 5 year old :-)
Excellent news. For years I would setup the old build of XBMC on Slayers and use that XBMC to FTP everything including the new build of XBMC. Recently I trying Slayer's to FTP, after all, I have Slayers in for the rebuild and HDD setup and to my surprise, it is much faster and saved me setting up the old build of XBMC solely for FTPing. Now I use Slayers regularly to FTP large content transfers.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers :-) I didn't realise Slayers did ftp , might try that next time .
The £9 wireless controller arrived today , seems pretty responsive , the boy loves it ...waiting for the cable now .
Thanks for everyone's help ...