Get EEPROM Without HDD

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
ifrit05

Get EEPROM Without HDD

Post by ifrit05 »

Just a quick question; I have 3 Xbox's. One is softmodded and running great. Now I have 2 more I have gained throughout the years: one with a HDD and one without.

Now he question lol: The only way I can gain HDD password without the HDD present is through an EEPROM reader, correct??? I believe it's a v1.3/.4 Xbox, so I wanted to softmod it and put Linux on it. (My 1.6 has overscan, damn Xcalibur chip).
Xbox 1.6b, 120GB HDD, S-Video Output
Mikey

Re: Get EEPROM Without HDD

Post by Mikey »

I'm pretty sure that is the only way to do it. I remember using this tutorial by UNICRON to make a reader, some years back...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

...though it looks like the images are missing now.
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

The only other way is with a pre-flashed chip, since that will allow it to boot without the drive being locked. Im pretty sure Alladin chips come pre-flashed and they are dirt cheap.
ifrit05

Post by ifrit05 »

Alright, well Im gonna go ahead and get an Aladdin XT of deal extreme, it really is dirt cheap (6 bucks!!!). If I like it Im going to go ahead and get two more. Thanks for the replys guys. :)
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

Just make sure when you throw in the new HDD to either install Evox as dash or as an app and back up the eeprom and FTP it to your PC. That way if the chip goes sideways on you, you can just grab on of my AutoBuilder releases and softmod the sucker. Unless of course you have a mem card and an exploit game (eeprom should still be backed up though just to be safe)

And if you are unsure on the whole installation process (software wise) just grab XBMC Installer. Use it to format the HDD, install the stock files and the dash

I knew those suckers were cheap but I didnt think they were that cheap. God damn 5.50 plus shipping, cant beat that :D
ifrit05

Post by ifrit05 »

Yeah I know haha. I already have a softmodded Xbox I've been using for a couple of years. It runs XBMC4XBOX 3.2 as a dash with a 120GB HDD. I usually use XboxHDM to install softmods and stuff. And yeah backing up my EEPROM and FTP'ing it to my PC is the VERY first thing I always do lol.

Ill probably end up installing Cromwell as a bios/dash to it so I can set up a Linux box or... something... IDK... I've never actually installed a mod-chip in any of my consoles (usually stick to softmods, and wow, do I have a lot of softmodded consoles...).

Well, i gotta figure out a way to get it cause I don't actually have any credit cards! lmao (i'm 21).
asbo

Post by asbo »

ifrit05 wrote:Well, i gotta figure out a way to get it cause I don't actually have any credit cards! lmao (i'm 21).
Don't you have a bank account?
ifrit05

Post by ifrit05 »

Lol nope. Pathetic huh? :roll:
asbo

Post by asbo »

Well not pathetic, just a bit unusual. Mind you big brother has less of a grasp on you :lol:
I've had a current account since I was 16, and a savers account since I was born. I'm well in the system XD
ifrit05

Post by ifrit05 »

Well I found out why that one was in the trash (without HDD): The contacts on the power connecter on the PSU are blown all to hell. Non-recoverable (the legs are shortend and cut), must of been a lightning strike or a BIG serge.

Shame, it was either a 1.2 or a 1.3 MB. Im not gonna take the time to hunt down a older version PSU. I guess Im just gonna salvage the cords and parts.

Im still gonna go ahead and get that modchip though because my other spare Xbox is in a "coma". I don't remember ever modding it but I must have a while ago not knowing what I was doing at the time. Its a 1.4 (the 9th LPC contact is connected to a ground).

Thanks for pointing out the Aladding chip though I apreciate it a lot. :)