Ideal GPU/CPU temperatures?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
richg164

Ideal GPU/CPU temperatures?

Post by richg164 »

Hi guys

I have just completed the 80mm silent fan mod posted here a while back. All went well and I removed and re-applied some thermal paste on my cpu/gpu.

XBMC gives readings of:
GPU - 52
CPU - 42

I'm thinking the graphics is a bit high???

Am I right or just paranoid? The heatsink feels very hot to the touch in comparison the cpu heatsink is at most slightly warm

Is that normal? :?

I'm currently running with lid off drives placed on the work bench wary of putting everything back together until I can get this confirmed

Thanks for looking
Last edited by richg164 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGeekoid

Re: Ideal GPU/CPU temperatures?

Post by TheGeekoid »

I dont know wether your measurments are in celsius or farenheit but my temperature is as follows:

XBMC4Xbox v3.5

Fan speed 40% (i have it in overide mode at this static speed, theres also the option of adjusting the fan based on temp)

CPU Temp: 106 F

GPU Temp: 89 F

Those are measured in Farenheit (i for some reason cant type a degree symobol)

The resting temp of my laptop is much the same. Computers are designed to run this way.

Edit: I thought i should add that this is with the stock Fan, thermal paste, and heat sinks. I did cut away the metal RF shield in front of the fan to help with airflow. I left the plastic outer grille there though.
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
richg164

Post by richg164 »

Cheers geekoid
TheGeekoid wrote:I dont know wether your measurments are in celsius or farenheit
Celsius
CPU Temp: 106 F

GPU Temp: 89 F
My GPU is 52 degrees Celsius equivalent to about 125 degrees Fahrenheit seems really high compared to your setup especially when yours is running enclosed in the xbox housing.

Strange.... it was hot with old thermal paste and now with the new stuff applied
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

It does seem a tad bit odd but after playing videos or movies mine gets up to about that. I dont think it will harm it (when playing MC on my laptop it gets up to 200 F) but if it gets any higher see if you can find a skin with less eye candy (animations and pretty renderings) Or try poking around a bit more.

Glad i could help :)
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

You should also consider ambient temperatures when comparing, and whether the Xbox is out in the open or tucked away somewhere inside a cupboard.

Also see similar discusions on thermal paste and fan mods and overheating:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=218
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=158
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 5269#p5269

Thermal paste e.g. Arctic Silver (if correctly applied) has a break-in period where it takes a few multiple thermal cycles to achieve maximum conduction, see application instructions document. If the heatsink is hot it means its probably doing its job :-)
richg164

Post by richg164 »

Thanks Guys

I went ahead and completely put everything back together now I have temps reading CPU 41°c and GPU 44°c after video playback.

Strange I now have lower temps with the lid DVD and hard drive sat on top of it (thought it would get warmer once surrounded).

Anyway its obviously nothing to worry about as that's not too high. Perhaps its what Dan dar3 pointed out regarding the paste needing a few cycles to reach effectiveness.
RoyalX

Post by RoyalX »

You do have your fan blowing air out of the xbox, right?

Check the arrow on the fan for which direction it goes.

And at what % you have your fan going?

See also this: What does make the temperature rise?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Your DVD and HDD need to be in place, and ideally with the lid on to be an accurate representation. Everything but the screws will affect airflow.

Cool air is drawn mainly in the sides of the Xbox and passes through under the drives, forcing the air to move across the heatsinks before getting pulled out by the fan.

With everything removed, there isn't airflow coming in from any particular direction, so cooler air doesn't pass over the GPU in your case.
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

install 80mm fan artic silver clean dust do some cooling mods
and mine runs idle 20/25 celcius
playing game 40/45 stable
ellowmatetyler

Post by ellowmatetyler »

Get a 80 mm computer fan and just steal power from the molex that plugs into the hdd. Most pc fans come with splitters. You'll most likely have to cut up the plastic tray the hdd sits in but it's worth it. My xbox is slient and glows green. Looks awesome in the dark. I also used a thin cardboard box to make a better fan shroud thing to direct the air over the heatsinks better. My fan is set to pull air out of the xbox.
Using Tapatalk
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Do you have a picture of the shroud or a description of it?
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

ellowmatetyler wrote:My fan is set to pull air out of the xbox.
That is no good and have been covered over and over since 2001.
Thermodynamics 101.
ellowmatetyler

Post by ellowmatetyler »

If you look up xbox 360 fan shroud mod. That's where I got the idea from. You pretty much use a cereal box or somthing like that to direct the air across the heatsinks to the fan to blow the hot air out of the case. I'll turn the fan around to see if blowing air into the case would be better. My xbox runs around 55° C but ive never replaced the stock thermal paste. I'll get some pictures of it tomorrow.
Using Tapatalk
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Can someone reccomend a good 80mm fan with blue LED? Is it possible to add fans on top of the GPU and CPU heatsinks, and is that a good idea? I have a v1.2 motherboard.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I have seen people use Iceberq 4 GPU coolers for the CPU and GPU in the Xbox.

As for mounting them, I am not sure what they did.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

fxmech wrote:I have seen people use Iceberq 4 GPU coolers for the CPU and GPU in the Xbox.

As for mounting them, I am not sure what they did.
Will those work for any version of xbox motherboard?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I don't see why not. I recall someone else with a "laptop Xbox mod" that wrote a little blurb on replacing the heatsink with the Iceberq copper heatsink
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »