i Was Running Out Of Xboxes So i Bought Some.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Tayjelir

Re: i Was Running Out Of Xboxes So i Bought Some.

Post by Tayjelir »

Hey I saw this Ebay auction too. I thought, whoever got this is one lucky person.

Were all them repairable or did you get a few for the parts pile?
i love People Races On Field day in the EaStern iSlands On thuRsdays. just_ don't expect JanitOrs to cleaN your kNickers when You lose.
xman

Post by xman »

I must be doing something wrong doing TSOPs. I am putting in pin headers to run a modchip, attaching the D0 wire and set the chip to auto boot. That is all working correctly. I am getting a machine that will boot the install disc. I install the softmod using the HeXEn disc that appears to load and I get all the prompts to indicate all has gone well. I then disable and remove the modchip to test the softmod and after the startup bios screen, error 5 or error 6 and the machine will no longer except an install disc. To give some help in an answer to this problem, in the preparing for the modchip, I am doing a HDD rebuild using Slayer's so the modchip install actually works. When the pin header and D0 wire is soldered, I am also putting in the TSOP link points. What the hell am I doing wrong?.
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

xman wrote:I must be doing something wrong doing TSOPs. I am putting in pin headers to run a modchip, attaching the D0 wire and set the chip to auto boot. That is all working correctly. I am getting a machine that will boot the install disc. I install the softmod using the HeXEn disc that appears to load and I get all the prompts to indicate all has gone well. I then disable and remove the modchip to test the softmod and after the startup bios screen, error 5 or error 6 and the machine will no longer except an install disc. To give some help in an answer to this problem, in the preparing for the modchip, I am doing a HDD rebuild using Slayer's so the modchip install actually works. When the pin header and D0 wire is soldered, I am also putting in the TSOP link points. What the hell am I doing wrong?.
Can I just ask why if you are doing a tsop you don't just softmod, solder the tsop, then load the bios?
xman

Post by xman »

I don't have one of the the required game discs to do a softmod directly. Meaning I need to install a modchip to allow a softmod install disc to load., softmod the machine, boot from the softmod to flash the TSOP.
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

xman wrote:I don't have one of the the required game discs to do a softmod directly. Meaning I need to install a modchip to allow a softmod install disc to load., softmod the machine, boot from the softmod to flash the TSOP.
So are doing a softmod or hardmod install from hexen?
xman

Post by xman »

Hardmod using Slayer's and softmod using HeXEn and then when I get to it, flash TSOP with Slayer's because I use those bioses it has.
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

xman wrote:Hardmod using Slayer's and softmod using HeXEn and then when I get to it, flash TSOP with Slayer's because I use those bioses it has.
I've only done a few but I thought you need the linux game save in place for the softmod to work. I've not tried going from hard to soft to tsop :!:
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

xman wrote:I must be doing something wrong doing TSOPs. I am putting in pin headers to run a modchip, attaching the D0 wire and set the chip to auto boot. That is all working correctly. I am getting a machine that will boot the install disc. I install the softmod using the HeXEn disc that appears to load and I get all the prompts to indicate all has gone well. I then disable and remove the modchip to test the softmod and after the startup bios screen, error 5 or error 6 and the machine will no longer except an install disc. To give some help in an answer to this problem, in the preparing for the modchip, I am doing a HDD rebuild using Slayer's so the modchip install actually works. When the pin header and D0 wire is soldered, I am also putting in the TSOP link points. What the hell am I doing wrong?.

you are not doing any thing wrong you are doing the right thing but you need to lock the hdd to use a softmod that is missing bit.

[bold]5 - kernel - HDD not locked (The retail xbox bioses require the hdd to be locked)

lock it and it will be away going.

then just flash your bios as you would with a chip, if it is a winbond you will have to be selective in your method as not all programs support windbond flash chips.
Last edited by professor_jonny on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
professor_jonny

Ging3rguy wrote: I've only done a few but I thought you need the linux game save in place for the softmod to work. I've not tried going from hard to soft to tsop :!:
You only need a method to get the softmod files on the xbox, and you can use a hard mod to do that if you wish.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

xman wrote:Hardmod using Slayer's and softmod using HeXEn and then when I get to it, flash TSOP with Slayer's because I use those bioses it has.
Following this thread, as I have, I'm inclined to think that whilst you've come to the right conclusion to flash the TSOP on all the v1.0-v1.5s, the route you're proposing to get there is, errr, inefficient at best. Why don't you just get yourself a softmod kit?

...I could cobble one together for you, I've got a spare copy of Splinter Cell and an old memory card you can have.
Tayjelir

Post by Tayjelir »

spicemuseum wrote:
Following this thread, as I have, I'm inclined to think that whilst you've come to the right conclusion to flash the TSOP on all the v1.0-v1.5s, the route you're proposing to get there is, errr, inefficient at best. Why don't you just get yourself a softmod kit?

...I could cobble one together for you, I've got a spare copy of Splinter Cell and an old memory card you can have.
You deserve thanks... and hug maybe?
i love People Races On Field day in the EaStern iSlands On thuRsdays. just_ don't expect JanitOrs to cleaN your kNickers when You lose.
xman

Post by xman »

spicemuseum wrote:

HaHaHa yes, I'm incline to agree there Spice but when I think of it not really because I pull the board out to do the TSOP points anyway and I clean under the mother board as well. It takes me under 5 minutes to put in the pin header except on those bastard 1.0 boards and I use the underside D0 point for the D0 wire. About 2 minutes to solder in the TSOP links, when I remember to turn my soldering iron right down after using it on max to solder in the pin header, so I see no real waste of time. However that offer is very nice of you Spice of the softmod kit. I may take you up on that if I get the shits doing it this method. I have about 6 X 40 row pin headers here I cut to size for the pin headers and a roll of mylar wire for the D0 wire. The idea is after the modchip has done the job, I remove it from the pin header and cut the D0 wire just in case it's ever required again.
xman

Post by xman »

professor_jonny wrote:

you are not doing any thing wrong you are doing the right thing but you need to lock the hdd to use a softmod that is missing bit.

[bold]5 - kernel - HDD not locked (The retail xbox bioses require the hdd to be locked)

lock it and it will be away going.

then just flash your bios as you would with a chip,
I did spot it not being locked while the HeXEn disc was in and running in the EvoXDash settings on HeXEn and locked it. Could it be because I installed the softmod while the HDD was unlocked prior to me spotting it unlocked maybe?. What I mean is does the HDD have to be locked prior to loading the softmod?.
professor_jonny wrote:
if it is a winbond you will have to be selective in your method as not all programs support windbond flash chips.
I deliberately targeted a non Winbond chip machine as I know I will have more questions then. :?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Steve, you have to un-socket the chip before you can flash the tsop otherwise all you are doing is re-flashing the chip.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
xman

Post by xman »

bigkidoz wrote:Steve, you have to un-socket the chip before you can flash the tsop otherwise all you are doing is re-flashing the chip.
Yer I'm aware of that but when I remove the chip after thinking the softmod is installed, the machine is throwing up error codes. It won't read the HeXen disc again until I put the modchip back in again. I do have a question though, on the HeXEn disc there are several methods to use. I am using the PAL ones but there are two types of PAL softmods. Crazies and some other clowns. Which is the quickest and easiest to install coinciding it will all be erased once I TSOP it anyway?.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

I use Krayzie one-click install, PAL SC game saves.

Mostly because it's reliable, I understand what to expect at each step, and I have the game[*] ! :-D

[*] note that having a copy the game is completely unimportant and irrelevant in this case since it's not needed.
asbo

Post by asbo »

xman wrote:I am doing a HDD rebuild using Slayer's so the modchip install actually works.
Surely that's what's buggering it up? Are you doing that after you've plugged the modchip in and before you use Hexen to install the softmod?
I think I'd leave any fiddling with the HDD until after the TSOP flash is done, a modchip will boot from a disc regardless of the state of a HDD won't it?

I might be completely wrong :lol:
xman

Post by xman »

asbo wrote:
xman wrote:I am doing a HDD rebuild using Slayer's so the modchip install actually works.
Surely that's what's buggering it up? Are you doing that after you've plugged the modchip in and before you use Hexen to install the softmod?
I think I'd leave any fiddling with the HDD until after the TSOP flash is done, a modchip will boot from a disc regardless of the state of a HDD won't it?

I might be completely wrong :lol:
Shit Asbo, you may be right there. I normally set up the HDD using Slayer's and just carried on the normal process I do for a full blown modchip machine but I see no reason why in this case.
professor_jonny

you can set the xbox up with slayers as you would normally do, then lock the hdd, then just install a softmod.

I can't vouch for hexen etc as I have never used it I all ways use Ndure-3.1 installer on my pc then just ftp the files across to the xbox.

i have a little installer package on my pc and it has a modified slayers with two bioses on it and it boots right up to flash the bios it is dropped in the dash foloder in the soft mod install.
xman

Post by xman »

professor_jonny wrote:
i have a little installer package on my pc and it has a modified slayers with two bioses on it and it boots right up to flash the bios it is dropped in the dash foloder in the soft mod install.
Hmm, wouldn't that program come in handy if you had say 40 odd machines you need to TSOP.

Actually I'm thinking once I have one stock HDD softmodded and an app like EvoXDash with the bioses for flashing on it, I can use it to go from machine to machine using Slayers to except the HDD and to lock and unlock it rather than softmodding every machine's HDD. When locking, it uses the machine it's in's code to lock the HDD. Am I right in this assumption or it isn't as easy as that?.