i Was Running Out Of Xboxes So i Bought Some.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xman

Re: i Was Running Out Of Xboxes So i Bought Some.

Post by xman »

Geeba wrote:Geessssss - I thought you had a farm to rebuild! LOL! - I dont get time to do much fun stuff these days... currently doing a loft conversion so that takes all my time.... :(
Yer the farm keeps going and work wants me doing a more senior role. Problem is people keep asking for Xboxes and I'm turning money away not doing them so this lot will keep me active for a couple of months. I've sold one to a person that wanted one 3 months ago but I couldn't deliver because I had none for sale. I will use the 500Gb out of one of this lot, I did get a 500GB HDD in one, put it in another one that already has a modchip, I got a few of those in the lot, add cables I have, and load it and they are paying $300 gladly for it. That is nice shot in the arm to paying for this venture. If I do sales like that with only 5 of the Xboxes and turn all the rest of the Xboxes into quail breading houses for the quails down the farm, I'm miles ahead aye. That is the way the wife sort of explained it to me at the shop I bought them from. Yes, she was there and encouraged me to buy them. It is in her interest I guess because a lot of her friends were after machines themselves and I had been turning them away.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

xman wrote: Pity they don't take PayPal but there ad does assure money back guarantee. Have you tried this company in the past?.

Yes I bought supplies from this particuliar seller. Sometimes, packaging could be a little better as he ships electro sensitive devices but it's cheap stuff from China so you know... I do think Aladdin XTs sold there do come sealed in anti-static bags from factory so it's likely not an issue here.

As selling device to circumvent copy protection is a shady business, I cannot vouch that you'll get a 100% working batch. You've been in the business long enough to know some of those cheap Aladdin XTs do arrive DOA(fake Lattice CPLD most of the time). Good luck getting a refund for those! Personally, I never received a DOA Aladdin XT but I can confirm some have had that misfortune. I have a pile of them that MrMasjest3r sent me a couple of weeks ago. All bad CPLDs!
xman wrote:Does your new chip allow for TSOPing after booting with the XBlast by chance?. That may be a better way for me. Even if it doesn't do all types of Xbox, as you can see, I now have multiples of every type.
XBlast Lite does support TSOP recovery feature like on the Chameleon modchip. You need to connect A15 solder pad to the proper A15 point on your motherboard (varies from motherboard revisions) and follow the procedure to enable TSOP recovery.
Check the wiki at https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/l ... i/mainmenu
Current tsop_m7.bin BIOS requires to launch XBE from DVD but I'm working on an updated version that could launch XBEs from HDD. Don't know when it will be ready...
xman wrote:
psyko_chewbacca wrote: I do have a few units converted to Aladdin XBlast lying around somewhere.
Could you do a large quantity at a realistic price?. It could go towards you next run of Xblast chips. How does the Aladdin Xblast differ from your normal Xblast. For this particular project, all 42 of them, :shock: just a nice simple chip is what I'm after.
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... din-XBlast

Aladdin XBlast is a mod for the "program" on the Lattice CPLD itself. You reprogram the CPLD with the code supplied, change the SST flash chip for a SST49LF080A (and program it with the latest version of XBlast OS BIOS) and you get a Aladdin XT with 1*512KB and 1*256KB BIOS bank controlled by XBlast OS. You basically get a Aladdin modchip with 2 BIOS banks controlled by an onboard OS. No LCD, no TSOP feature but you do get Smart LFRAME signal blocking to avoid damage to 1.6/1.6b boards in the long run and you don't need to wire the modchip to the power button no more.

Of course to do this, you must have the necessary equipment to program the CPLD and the flash chip. Check the linked thread, there's more detailed information there.

If you only want a chip to load a single BIOS like Evox M8 then just buy those cheap Aladdin XTs and install them just as usual. Don't bother with the Aladdin XBlast stuff really. If you want multi BIOS banks and XBlast OS embedded on the chip, Aladdin XBlast is the cheapest and quickest way to get there right now if you want multiple units.

I have a limited quantity of Aladdin XTs(already converted to Aladdin XBlast or course) in my hands right now. I don't want to buy extra to make more. I can sell you what I have right now but that's it. FYI, if you buy your own programming equipment, you'll be able to make as much as you want!

I prefer to focus on the real deal, the Xblast Lite. If you want to sell all your Xboxes fast, I suggest you don't wait for it as I'm planning on a Q2 2015 release of only 250 units at first. I won't accept such large orders on the first batch to let as much people as possible get their hands on one.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Xman I can vouch for the xblast chip cool device and it will be worth the wait!

Ben was nice enough to give me a sample chip to play with and I have had a good play with it and have posted some bugs and requests on his bit bucket development svn repo, also a few wildly silly requests, does not hurt to ask :-).

I did make an aladdin xblast chip for giggles with my jtag programmer and it works well, but lcd support with the xblast is something I have been waiting for as it is hard to get ahold of a lcd enabled chip nows days I have two pride and joy x3 xboxes one standard and my trusty box and they rarely get used as im scared ill wear em out, and instead use my beat up old slim .

With his chip it has the equalivant of the coffee cooker on the smartxx chip that offeres general purpose I/O and I'm sure you could dream up some device to add to the xbox to control it, relay output, IR sender, hdd switcher, power on sound, video mode selector, light's etc...

There is also spi control from the chip that could enable oled displays... but some what relys on devs to implement these things into xbmc4xbox or our other fav apps and programs.
xman

Post by xman »

Yer Ben sent me one to trial as well but as you can see, my life is massive right at the moment. I read most of the posts regarding the chip however and proof read the user manual. My request, seeing as we are taking "wildly silly requests", would be to incorporate the software used on those learning IR mains receivers i showed you and talked about some time ago. Hook it up to the ON OFF switch using the IO ports on the Xblast so you could use any button on any remote you program to it to turn the Xbox on and off. Yes I know there are other chips and ways of doing it but to incorporate this into the XBlast modchip would be ideal I believe. Self learning code is the best system because that would allow any normal TV remote to turn the machine on and off. On reading through all the requests, I haven't seen anyone mention the most useful of all, remote on and off for the Xbox. :D

As for my latest lot of Xboxes, I have tested them all now and what I got was.
20 virgin machines all booting fine
7 modchip machines all booting the modchip except the Apple, it isn't doing anything. I'm presuming a power supply is needed.
Only one softmodded machine. :shock: .. i would say they delete those as soon as they arrive and this one slipped though.
7 stock machines that have been opened in the past.
3 machines not operating at all and never been opened.
1 booting but no video output.
and 3 machines booting to Error 7.
That is what I have so far. I haven't attempted any repairs yet.

Ow, nearly forgot. Courtesy of machines with modchips, old XBMC pics including one XBMC 1.0.0 and another of XBMP dated Sept 2003. This is a slideshow. It will change the pics over time unless you hit the arrow to speed it up changing. Enjoy. :D

http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/autos ... BMC%20pics
asbo

Post by asbo »

xman wrote:Pity they don't take PayPal but there ad does assure money back guarantee. Have you tried this company in the past?.
I've used aliexpress many times and spent hundreds of pounds with them, not that particular seller mind, but they all use the same aliexpress payment and money back guarantee system. Aliexpress hold onto your money until you tell them you've received your items and they're as described, then they pay the seller. So if there are any problems the seller either has to try again and send you what you actually ordered, or aliexpress gives you your money back. It works well :)
Note that they will withdraw payment in USD and chances are your bank will charge you a small fee for the currency conversion.
xman wrote: Ow, nearly forgot. Courtesy of machines with modchips, old XBMC pics including one XBMC 1.0.0 and another of XBMP dated Sept 2003. This is a slideshow. It will change the pics over time unless you hit the arrow to speed it up changing. Enjoy. :D

http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/autos ... BMC%20pics
The thing that hit me most is "build 6/9/04 by untermensch" :shock: , untermensch is what the Nazis called "inferior people". I guess that was funny back in 2004.
RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

Xman have a look at Entropay Virtual Visa, thats what Ive used on Alibaba.Alixpress. I havent had any
trouble but its nice to have a way out if the purchase goes bad. There will be similar virtual visa
companies in Oz no doubt.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

xman wrote:My request, seeing as we are taking "wildly silly requests", would be to incorporate the software used on those learning IR mains receivers i showed you and talked about some time ago. Hook it up to the ON OFF switch using the IO ports on the Xblast so you could use any button on any remote you program to it to turn the Xbox on and off. Yes I know there are other chips and ways of doing it but to incorporate this into the XBlast modchip would be ideal I believe. Self learning code is the best system because that would allow any normal TV remote to turn the machine on and off. On reading through all the requests, I haven't seen anyone mention the most useful of all, remote on and off for the Xbox
That's the kind of feature that could be included in a XBlast "Pro" modchip. My original (and impetuous) design included a Cortex-M3(Cortex-M0+ now looks way more promising with dual core CPU) micro to do exactly that sort of things. I'm thinking of a modchip that relay all communication, aside from BIOS loading, to a micro controller. You could program the micro to your liking and you'd get tons of IOs, PWM, SPI, I2C, UART as well as EEPROM/flash storage, USB support and other goodies to do all sorts of crazy things!

I'll start with the XBlast Lite and move on to something bigger in due time.
xman

Post by xman »

Sold two machines so far and are finding problems with others I've never seen before like a 1.1 that booted to a softmod twice but now booting nothing. It runs for about 7 seconds flashing yellow/ green, yellow/ green and then shuts down. Hmm. I'm thinking HDD is the issue but I'm not real sure. I can't confirm a HDD issue because I'm not getting an error code or screen for that matter.
professor_jonny

I had one xbox that would only boot cold as soon as it heated up it locked up, turned out to be a cold solder joint under the cpu as I pressed down on it and it would boot when warm just frag.

I made a bga rework station using a 100w halogen light and a thermocouple on my multi meter but I would not recommend that as a suitable idea.
fixed it tho.

I just pored liquid flux under the cpu and heated her up until I saw the cpu move.
xman

Post by xman »

So you think it may be the CPU?. I might just try a pin header and chip just to see it isn't the HDD pulling to much current as it is showing all the symptoms of something shorted or pulling to much power and then shuting down the power supply. At least with the chip, I know what to expect. A softmod that isn't the case. With a chip in, I can throw in a known good HDD as well. I'm expecting HDD errors because of this lot, I do have quite a few with error 7 coming up. Funny that this machine did originally boot to a softmod dash though. That sort of threw me.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Have you tried trying to boot with any old recovery/installation disc? From memory Slayers is your fave, but any should boot if the box isn't foobarred and a softmod is present..
xman

Post by xman »

Yer I was sort of hoping I found another softmodded machine in the batch so I could try a TSOP. The problem with this machine is, it only booted once to anything that being the softmod. I was looking forward to having two softmodded machines to do TSOPs on and that would be two I don't need chips for.
professor_jonny

I install a pin headder on every xbox softmod it remove the chip and flash the tsop, all 1.6 xboxes I fix up and hock of as is non modded.
xman

Post by xman »

professor_jonny wrote:I install a pin headder on every xbox softmod it remove the chip and flash the tsop.
Yer my issue is I don't have any of the games required to softmod.

I just got an error 16 on another machine. Never had one of those before. Another one to put on the too hard pill for the time being. I'm just going through the pile a couple a night fixing DVDrives. I figure I can never have enough working DVDrives. One trip to CBC Bearings to buy a handful of "O" rings costing 25c each, a total investment of $6, and all but one DVDrive I have worked on is up and running bar one that is so badly jammed, it refuses to open manually. I just take out the 4 screws, change the band for an "O" ring, clean the laser, dust the DVDrive out and re-assemble. Put back in the machine and try with an original game disc. I will do a tutorial on how to do this and what sized "O" ring works perfectly for those that may be interested.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

xman wrote:The problem with this machine is, it only booted once to anything that being the softmod.
What happens if you try starting up with a boot disc (Slayers/AID/HeXEn/Rocky's/Frosty's) ?
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

xman wrote:
professor_jonny wrote:I install a pin headder on every xbox softmod it remove the chip and flash the tsop.
You don't need any special game to do that, as I told you before. :)
All you need is to be able to boot an installer disk with a softmod installer on it. As prof said, using a chip.
There is absolutely no need to have special hardware to flash a TSOP (Game, cable adapter) when you can boot an installer disk on the machine.

Bridge flash enabling points > Install the chip > Boot installer disk > Install softmod > Boot from the softmod(not from the chip) > Flash the TSOP with your favorite BIOS. Done!
The chip can be removed after the TSOP is flash.

Also, whenever I decide use a softmod (till now, only my daughter v1.6 do) I still do header/D0/LPC rebuild. If anything happen it's fixed in no time. And I don't have to spend a chip.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Xphazer wrote:
xman wrote:
You don't need any special game to do that, as I told you before. :)
All you need is to be able to boot an installer disk with a softmod installer on it. As prof said, using a chip.
There is absolutely no need to have special hardware to flash a TSOP (Game, cable adapter) when you can boot an installer disk on the machine.

Bridge flash enabling points > Install the chip > Boot installer disk > Install softmod > Boot from the softmod(not from the chip) > Flash the TSOP with your favorite BIOS. Done!

Also, whenever I decide use a softmod (till now, only my daughter v1.6 do) I still do header/D0/LPC rebuild. If anything happen it's fixed in no time. And I don't have to spend a chip.
Its a catch 22, you cant tsop flash till its softmodded, and he cant softmod without an exploitable game disc and without installing a chip.

Steve, buy a copy of splinter cell, its handy to have for quickly softmodding virgin machines.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

God i miss nz aus, these friendly folks in my area want $50usd for a stock xbox because they are "rare" lol this is nuts i was paying $20nzd at the most with tons of extras. $50 will get a 360 on craigslist. Im tempted to learn to rgh jtag.
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

It would be cool to cluster them and make a super computer :)
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

bigkidoz wrote:Its a catch 22, you cant tsop flash till its softmodded, and he cant softmod without an exploitable game disc and without installing a chip.

Steve, buy a copy of splinter cell, its handy to have for quickly softmodding virgin machines.
Wrong. Just read what I've said in my previous message again. :smile:
If a modchip is installed, you DO NOT need an exploitable game to install a softmod.

Of course it's nice to have one, I would recommend getting one too, but saying that you absolutely need one to flash a TSOP is 100% false.
With a modchip installed you can boot an installer disc and install a softmod (booting from the modchip) and flash the TSOP (booting from the softmod) afterward no problem.

I just said it but i'll say it again...

Bridge flash enabling points > Install the modchip > Boot installer disk from the modchip (ex: HeXEn) > Install softmod > Boot from the softmod (not from the chip) > Flash the TSOP with your favorite BIOS. Done!

I Haven't used an exploitable game in ages, as I always fit a pin header and a D0 wire anyways.