XBOX shuts off during FTP file transfer.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
XC-3730C

XBOX shuts off during FTP file transfer.

Post by XC-3730C »

I have an issue with my XBOX (actually 2 of them) shutting down during a FTP file transfer. I use XBMC as my dashboard and transfer files to it via FlashFXP from my Windows PC, and some time into the transfer process (I don't know how long since I set up the transfer while I go to work) which I think is several hours into it. I make sure I have auto shut down in XBMC is off.

I have also experienced this with transferring from FTP to my XBOX
(es) with DVD2XBOX loaded.

Any ideas? Perhaps a different program on my XBOX or PC?
professor_jonny

Re: XBOX shuts off during FTP file transfer.

Post by professor_jonny »

turn off the activity shut down timer in the ms dash?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

professor_jonny wrote:turn off the activity shut down timer in the ms dash?
I am not sure how or if I can access the MS dash from XBMC
professor_jonny

run the xboxdash.xbe on the c drive as long as you dont have a soft mod that will work.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Hmm well I do have a softmod on one system that this issue is happening in, but my TSOP one does this also
professor_jonny

it should not make a difference but i dont know how to get to the ms dash from a softmod it diffes per softmod method there is a lot around.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

most softmods will have the MS dash xbe somewhere in the root of the c:\ drive from my observations
xb0xdash.xbe perhaps?
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

If it shuts down in XBMC4Xbox only and not in other dashboards, you may disabling the "powersave" setting, here:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 725#p26725
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I set the power off timer in XBMC4XBOX to off, but in Avalaunch, it seems to randomly loose connection. I have tried both FlashFXP and FileZilla
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Dan Dar3 wrote:My first reply, 3rd from the top.
Read the whole thing, especially past the links.
It is an interesting post to read.

Can this explain the unusually low temperature in idle xbmc4xbox? Compared to UnleashX [at equal fanspeed], XBMC in my 1ghz Xbox runs 12C cooler while inactive. It begs some questions for me to ponder...

Is it safe to presume the processor stays active in UnleashX all the time? Can you FTP to UnleashX?

I also wonder if the UnleashX shutdown timer works as claimed, "upon the desired inactivity period, including FTP".

I'm going to test the power off / sleep timer features on XBMC and UnleashX during FTP transfers...

I wish UnleashX sources were somewhere.

Avalaunch I intend to test things with as well. (Currently it refuses to boot because I have a CoinOPS install? I've used Avalaunch very little and don't know).

Avalaunch , like UnleashX, FTP transfers at roughly double the rate of XBMC in my tests. I will try finding out if it suffers the same 'empty folder' bug UnleashX encounters. Once I get it booting, I will check to see if Avalaunch has a text editor too. I simply don't remember. Because of the empty folder bug in conjunction with FatX limitations, UnleashX commonly is a source of unexpected problems.

All very unrelated issues maybe. Still if anyone knows these answers, thoughts?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

fxmech,

I now have an Xbox with x3 and X3CP. Transfer rates from my Windows 7 PC running FlashFXP (I don't like FileZilla's interface) to my Xbox running UnleashX is about 10-11mbps, which is better than I used to get. But I am still getting the issue of setting up a large transfer overnight, and the system shuts off.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hmm I just had that issue as well but using filezilla , I put it down to overheating maybe switching it off but it could be software related as I was using Unleash X as well .
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

If FileZilla had a better UI, I would use it. FlashFXP has always worked for me because I like it's interface. I feel the layout easy to read, and though not 100% accurate, the time remaining for the queue is a major positive.

The shut down issue has happened on different Xbox's, different dashboards (XBMC, Avalaunch, UnleasX, dvd2xbox), different fan speeds, etc.

I normally transfer a chunk of data at a time when I am am able to, but when I set up an overnight transfer, or when I am not physically there to monitor it, the shutdown issue happens.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

XC-3730C wrote:fxmech,

I now have an Xbox with x3 and X3CP. Transfer rates from my Windows 7 PC running FlashFXP (I don't like FileZilla's interface) to my Xbox running UnleashX is about 10-11mbps, which is better than I used to get. But I am still getting the issue of setting up a large transfer overnight, and the system shuts off.
What dash was running? Does the transfer complete?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Well last time it happened, UnleashX, and the transfer didn't complete

*edit*

Now that I have an xbox with Xecuter 3 and X3CP + LCD, I can now monitor the temerature of the GPU and CPU, and ai am starting to believe the system is overheating. I already cleaned off the heat sinks and reapplied thermal paste to the GPU and CPU, but temperatures are 120°F for the GPU, and 118°F for the CPU, which seems high. I run the fan at 100%, which helps a little bit, but I need to get one of those 2000rpm 80mm fans at some point.

I also noticed two of the caps between the CPU and PSU connectors are swollen (can these be replaced?), as well as the clock cap. My system's board is a v1.2
I am thinking of doing the hard drive caddy mod, as well as modding the RF shielding behind the fan.