I think I bricked my Xbox?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
zacksika

I think I bricked my Xbox?

Post by zacksika »

I bought an Original Xbox from amazon and it booted to the Xbox Media Center homepage. I thought this was kind of strange because I was expecting the original Xbox dashboard to come-up.
I looked through the files and went to the E: folder and found a folder labeled just XBMC in the folder. I deleted it thinking that it would get rid of the mod and that I could go back to the Original Xbox Dashboard, but instead the console freezes. I turn it off and then back on and it works through the Xbox Intro but then it just goes to a black screen. :shock:

I tried the White and Y button and Dual-Thumb stick presses and it doesn't respond, it just keeps making a repetitious whirring noise until I turn it off.

What do I do?! :oops:

EDIT:
The file was found through the file folder through the GUI, I heard that you cannot get to the file that houses the coding on the GUI because it will break your console but I just don't know what to do. :cry:
Rocky5

Re: I think I bricked my Xbox?

Post by Rocky5 »

So you bought a modded Xbox & removed the dashboard now it's hangs becuase it can't find the dashboard to boot.

You were probably softmodded, since your dashboard was located in E:\XBMC.

Download my extras disc & burn it to a DVD-R & use the Upgrade Old Softmods option located in the advanced features menu, this should fix the boot issues.

also why are you wanting it back to stock?

If you really want to restore to a stock Xbox there is an option on the disc to do so.
But a bit of advice, if you do restore to factory default, via the disc you will need one of the exploitable games to resoftmod your xbox.
(i install the saves when you use the restore to stock feature)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

how can you boot the disc when the softmod is bricked ??? makes no sense disc doesnt boot i tried it
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

He's not getting an xbox error screen so maybe he can boot the disc and rescue his mod .....
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

the xbox is okay you may have bricked the hdd ( I said may because it might be possible to fix), try to find a cheap mod chip and see if you can #1 boot into a disc (i.e slayers 2.7), reinstall xbmc and the stock ms dash or you could #2 just make a new xbox hdd from scratch, you could get yourself a new inexpensive hdd(I found myself a 160gb for $13), use the slayers disc to reformat the hdd and add xbmc, the ms dash, and everthing else you desire to it.
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
zacksika

Post by zacksika »

I recently just got some DVD-R's from the store. I placed the files on the disc, inserted it, it loads for 2 seconds and then it just goes back to having a solid orange light and a black screen.
Are there any other suggestions?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

zacksika wrote:I recently just got some DVD-R's from the store. I placed the files on the disc, inserted it, it loads for 2 seconds and then it just goes back to having a solid orange light and a black screen.
Are there any other suggestions?
Placed what files on the disc?

You burn a ISO file with imgburn to a disc.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
affan101

Post by affan101 »

hello. I've encountered a similar problem. I've bricked my xbox and it boots up the black screen that says to call customer service. however there isn't any code number in the upper left corner. I'm thinking about opening the xbox to take the hdd out and connect it to my computer, where I can reformat it and add xbmc and the ms dash. you mentioned that there is a slayers disc that does the job. can you please explain to me how that works? Also is there any other way to unbrick the xbox?
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

It could just be an older Xbox and that's why there is no error screen ID.

First thing is to find out if you don't already know whether the Xbox is chipped, TSOPed or softmodded. If it is either of the first two the solution should be simple as it will boot any disc and you can easily replace a damaged main dash or install a new one.

If it is/was a softmod then you have a bigger problem.

Try cold booting an original game disc then a burned disc of some sort. Not Slayers, that is principally for chipped machines, try either AID, HeXEn or, of course, Rocky5's XSMT and doing what he suggested over three years ago.

NB. You must burn whatever disc you use to DVD-R unless you are certain of your Xbox's disc drive's media support.

If neither the original game disc or installer cold boot then post in a new thread for more help.