Connect XBOX HDD to PC for faster transfers?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
XC-3730C

Connect XBOX HDD to PC for faster transfers?

Post by XC-3730C »

I want to build an old school PC with an IDE slot and XP. Is there any way I can connect my XBOX HDD (it is in a TSOP modded 1.0) directly to my PC and transfer emulators and games instead of using FTP (I use FlashFXP)?
MrMajst3r

Re: Connect XBOX HDD to PC for faster transfers?

Post by MrMajst3r »

Xplorer360, but it will not be faster than FTP.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/syste ... rer360.cfm
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Agreed.

You might have luck using Linux with native FATX drivers but I don't think they are maintained anymore and will likely require a 2.6 kernel.

Other than that, FTP is the fastest way to transfer data onto the HDD.
Maybe using Xbox Neighborhood Network transfer might be an accomodating solution if you don't want to use FTP. It integrates your Xbox as a standard network location in Windows but setting it up is more complicated. It will be a tad slower than FTP overall but might be faster when transfering a lot of very small files (like under 16KB).
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Well could I use Chimp to say, copy from one XBOX HDD that is already set up (in this case, a 500gb SATA with SATA to IDE adapter) to a blank HDD (another 500gb HDD) for use in a TSOP flashed XBOX, thus eliminating the need for a PC?

Or, if I do use a PC, would it be possible/faster to clone from one SATA drive to another (both the same drive size and model, both to be used on a TSOP flashed XBOX)? I assume in this case I would set my PC's BIOSto have SATA behave as IDE drives.

Or is it possible to make an image of an already set up XBOX HDD, and restore that image to another drive?
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Use FTP but use it with a light weight dashboard on the xbox like Avalaunch or DVD2XBOX. I think you'll see a noticeable speed difference.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

It isn't faster...

I've used the file manager in xboxhd2, as included with XboxHDM 2.2a

it is useful for locking tools and setting up the dashboard/config files. also if you want to avoid using DVDs that cost money and become outdated.

doing raw copy from one hdd to the next is faster. use the same approach as you would on pc HDD backup. only problem is it will need to be the same size hdd as the raw copy, as partitioning will lose data (no ability to expand or modify the partitions)
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

fxmech,

What tool do you recommend for doing a raw copy of an xbox HDD? Couldn't I just use Chimp to do that?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

GParted or MiniTool partition manager.

Cloning the drive's RAW data using a PC.

... I know that it works but it has limited uses. Drives need to be the same capacity, and both will need to be unlocked for cloning.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Yea I have two TSOP xbox's, and both will use the exact same model/capacity HDD
psyko_chewbacca

use dd(power user) or clonezilla(easier for novices) under Linux to do it. I think there is a live ISO image of clonezilla that could suit your needs.
EDIT:I don't know if clonezilla requires to "know" the used file system in order to clone. If it's the case, it is very probable that FATX isn't supported. dd will clone regardless.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

If your cloning to a new HDD the same size, use Chimp 2618.

Use the copy byte by byte option. (Or what ever it's called) It will take ages to clone the drive but you will have an exact duplicate.

There is no need for a PC, when cloning a hdd for the xbox.

If your hdd was larger you couldn't use the clone feature, as chimp can't resize partitions. (You would end up with wasted space ie, un-partitioned space.)

A PC is only really required if you're putting a bigger hdd in & you want to keep all your games, since chimp won't do the above, you would need to FTP them all over. You would also use the partition copy function on C & E, instead of the byte by byte option.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Yea I would only copy from one HDD to another when both are the same size. I would sacrifice some speed if that meant that I could eliminate a PC in the process, so looks like I will use Chimp for this purpose.

Now would it be possible to say, use Chimp to copy one HDD from a TSOP'ed HDD to another HDD from a soft modded HDD that is already locked (like just copy the F and G partitions)?
psyko_chewbacca

XC-3730C wrote:Yea I would only copy from one HDD to another when both are the same size. I would sacrifice some speed if that meant that I could eliminate a PC in the process, so looks like I will use Chimp for this purpose.

Now would it be possible to say, use Chimp to copy one HDD from a TSOP'ed HDD to another HDD from a soft modded HDD that is already locked (like just copy the F and G partitions)?
Both HDD have to be unlocked to access data in R/W for Chimp to copy data. Make sure you have the necessary eeprom backup files of your softmodded Xbox to unlock and relock HDD. Softmod requires that the HDD be properly locked to work.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

So if I want to copy from one HDD to another with Chimp, would I unlock with Chimp, copy the partitions I want, then relock the destination drive to work on on a softmodded XBOX using that XBOX's eeprom backup ?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

XC-3730C wrote:So if I want to copy from one HDD to another with Chimp, would I unlock with Chimp, copy the partitions I want, then relock the destination drive to work on on a softmodded XBOX using that XBOX's eeprom backup ?
Moved down two posts, due to confusing posts.
Last edited by Rocky5 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

No I want to copy from an HDD from a TOP XBOX To an HDD that will go into a soft modded XBOX - just the F and G partitions.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Then what was this?
Well could I use Chimp to say, copy from one XBOX HDD that is already set up (in this case, a 500gb SATA with SATA to IDE adapter) to a blank HDD (another 500gb HDD) for use in a TSOP flashed XBOX, thus eliminating the need for a PC?
Wait hold on, you have a 500gb hdd in a softmodded xbox & you want to clone partition F & G from the TSOPED Xbox's hdd?
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Correct. Because F and G partitions hold what I want to copy over from the TSOP HDD to the softmod HDD
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

You can't then, chimp will format a slave drive, so you will lose C & E content on the softmodded Xbox hdd.

You could put a valid MS dashboard on the TSOPED Xbox hdd & resoftmod it when it's cloned?

Or you could buy a cross over cable & use UnleashX to FTP to the other Xbox & transfer it that way.
(Xbox to Xbox)
Last edited by Rocky5 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Oh I thought Chimp could just copy specific partitions...