Weird Trusty board problem - help needed

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
CapedCrusader

Weird Trusty board problem - help needed

Post by CapedCrusader »

Hi guys!

Long time no see. I'm trying to go back to the Xbox, but haven't been lucky so far. To cut the story short, I received a "brand new" 1.4 board form Trusty. He's a great guy, made me a new board in return for my old broken one practically at no costs. He also installed my X3 on it, which I had sent him before. The board arrived yesterday, and the problems started. I have written several e-mails to Trusty, updating on my adventures with the board, he hasn't replied yet, so I thought I would paste it here, as any ideas will be helpful to me. It's a story for Sherlock Holmes, but there it goes:

1)

I have received the board - thank you very much!

However - I have a problem - the X3 chip doesn't boot. The xbox boots every time to X2 bios - the flashed one.

This is how it looks:

The diodes on the chip are on.

On the X3 front panel:

- the protect, hd and banks (1-4) lights are on
- the X3 logo light is off
- the lcd screen is off

I also can't boot to the emergency bios (on/off + eject) - boots to the X2 bios anyway.

What can be the case?

2)

Shit, another problem, I will try to explain it step by step:

After all I described previously, I decided to re-solder the pins in the chip socket (thought one of them might get disconnected). I did it, added only a little extra solder.

After I powered on the board again, it switched on instantly after connecting the electric cable, without pushing the power button. It happened twice, I could switch it off only by unplugging the cable form xbox. Then, It stopped powering on, and I noticed a little smoke coming not from the bard, but the area between the x3 panel and the front of the xbox (smelt like burned cable).

Now I can only power on the xbox with the eject button, on/off button doesn't work at all. I can only power it off by unplugging the cable. I tried two different panel, the x3 front panel and the standard one - it's all the same.

The situation with the x3 chip hasn't changed - it still boots to the x2 bios.

Could you give me some advice on what to do with all this? I suspect the bad psu, can it be the case?

3)

Update:

I checked this:

http://diy.sickmods.net/images/pe_trace_10-11.jpg

from this website:

http://diy.sickmods.net/Tutorials/Xbox1 ... t_Pinouts/

and I have no continuity, so looks like the problem is in some broken track.

I will check the tracks, maybe tomorrow, but I don't know if I'm able to fix it, even if I find it.

Still, the issue of non-booting X3 remains.

Should I check the capacitors too?

4)

Ok, another update.

I looked at the tracks, there is some rust. I wiped some of it with my finger, but I'm not sure if it helped, but:

I took all the parts out of the Xbox body (board, psu, panel, hdd and dvd drive), put next to each other on the floor and connected. It started working normally! It means it powers on on off with the power button as it should.

The chip is still not working. It's weird - the diodes on the chip are on, I even placed this chip on different pins and the Xbox frags then, so it detects the chip well, but no way to boot it. The same situation with the Aladdin - i tried (the pinout is the same).

So, what I'm going to do is:

- clean all the rusty tracks with this special substance for motherboards
- buy another 1.0 xbox and replace the psu just in case

But what to do about the chip?

5)

Today I tried again - the problem came back. The board powers on only with the eject button on both panels - the x3 panel and the stock one, and x3 chip not working of course.

I will receive another 1.0 xbox within a few days and try it on the "new" psu.

That's it so far. Any help highly appreciated, as I'm frustrated as hell.

Thanks,
Bart

PS - I tried to boot the X3 on all possible flash bios combinations - same story, boots to the tsop.
professor_jonny

Re: Weird Trusty board problem - help needed

Post by professor_jonny »

it sounds like when you fitted the board back in you pinched one of the power ribbon cables in the front pannel between the shielding or something.

what you need to do is test if the chip works now.

solder d0 to ground pop in the chip and see if it will boot if not try another chip.
CapedCrusader

Re: Weird Trusty board problem - help needed

Post by CapedCrusader »

Thank you! I have sent the board together with the x3 to MrMajst3r, he will have a look and investigate it.