UnleashX unresponsive after SATA HDD format

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Gumby

UnleashX unresponsive after SATA HDD format

Post by Gumby »

Hello :

I'm trying to increase the storage capacity on 1.6 Xbox with the Aladdin modchip

I've successfully changed the HDD to a 500GB IDE drive on another Xbox but IDE plays nice so that makes sense it would go smoothly.

From my research it seems like SATA drives are a hassle with hit or miss results. Here is what I have tried so far.

Changed BIOS from M8 Plus (1.6) to ---> M8+ v1.6 137 HeXen

Using this adapter : [HDE SATA to PATA/IDE Hard Drive Interface Adapter] http://www.amazon.com/HDE-SATA-Drive-In ... B002Y2NI4M

The review from Georgyo07 "Georgyo07" says it works..
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-SATA-Drive-In ... geNumber=2

Using the jumper in various combinations on both the adapter and hard drive. Slave , Cable Select, Master, and no jumper at all. With the IDE hard drives I had put the jumper in the "Cable Select" position because I was getting a red and green flashing light without a jumper.

Everything looks like it's working when I initially boot up. UnleashX detects a new hard drive and asks me if I want to format and I say yes using both triggers and start and it walks me through the process. It asks if I have F: drive and since I'm using a 500GB drive I say yes to do that.

After it completes and I hold both triggers and start which should return me to the menu it starts UnleashX new hard drive detected process again.

Except the second time around that I go through the process it seems to lock up or become unresponsive when I press both triggers and start at the "UnleashX has finished preparing your new hard drive"

at this screen :

Any ideas? Is my adapter compatible?

The only thing I have not tried yet is using a 80 IDE connector instead of the stock 40 pin

I get the same results with 2 different hard drives I have used (1TB Hitachi and 500GB Samsung)
bigkidoz

Re: UnleashX unresponsive after SATA HDD format

Post by bigkidoz »

I had similar problems with a sata adapter a few months ago and posted about it, turned out 1 of a pair of adapters i got cheap on ebay was faulty and was freezing at this same stage in the process, i had spares of other types so was able get it set up in the end.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.