Aladdin installed, where to go from here?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Gumby

Aladdin installed, where to go from here?

Post by Gumby »

Hi all

I'm new here but I"m not to XBMC :)

Just got my first Xbox a couple of weeks ago (yeah I know I'm a late bloomer). Today I took the plunge and I did my first ever modchip installation with the Aladdin XT Plus 2 on a 1.6 Xbox. I think it's working because it displays"Evox" text in the corner.

I'm not sure where to go from here...

I want to play backups, upgrade the harddrive to larger capacity (I read you can utilize a 2TB, maybe more? and check out the popular recommended apps for a chipped Xbox. Pretty sure I need transfer the games FTP but not sure how to go about that with formats, locations, etc.

Do I need to change the dashboard? I think I understand what that is. I believe it's the interface to configure settings, launch games, etc.

I've read about Stock, Evox and UnleashX with I think are all optional dashboards I can use?

Do I need to download the Slayer Evox 2.7 autoinstaller and burn an ISO according to this tutorial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0xhsLdYh9k

Sorry for the all the questions!!

-Gumby
fxmech

Re: Aladdin installed, where to go from here?

Post by fxmech »

Try the latest HeXEn shambles mod update. It is a bootable disc. Search google. Or try another boot disc, up to you.

The general idea is boot from the DVD.

Optionally flash a different bios. Personally, I lean toward ind-bios. It supports very large drives and is customizable by a text file unlike evox.

Next just install your apps/dashboard. Should anything go wrong, boot from the disc and try again.
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

fxmech wrote:Try the latest HeXEn shambles mod update. It is a bootable disc. Search google. Or try another boot disc, up to you.

The general idea is boot from the DVD.

Optionally flash a different bios. Personally, I lean toward ind-bios. It supports very large drives and is customizable by a text file unlike evox.

Next just install your apps/dashboard. Should anything go wrong, boot from the disc and try again.
thanks for the reply fxmech. I used the 3.3 Evox boot disc and managed to boot into an outdated version of XBMC.

I'll try the the HeXen ISO with the TK Aug 2014 update.

How do I install the BIOS? I'll try ND-BiOS 5003.

What dashboard do you recommend?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

UnleashX or XBMC.

You can always switch things around later as well.

Reason I recommend HeXEn is the BIOS flashing tools. It is pretty safe you wont mess things up.

To be clear, all your Xbox has is a stock HDD and an unmodded MS dash?
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

fxmech wrote:
To be clear, all your Xbox has is a stock HDD and an unmodded MS dash?
Yes, a stock HDD (appears to be a western digital brand) which is 8GB I think. When I used the Slayer Evo X 3.3 installer boot disc it displays a couple of partitions like C: 4,000 something D : 3,0000 something and F : 0 and E : 0

How does the partition system work? Which partition should hold my media?

When I boot the Xbox it goes directly XMBC (the stock blue theme version, forget the name but it's older). Does this mean I no longer have "an unmodded MS dash"?

This is this the ISO I used to get to where I am now : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2-vvjj ... Qv_o8gl-gw

It has menu options to revert back to stock, will that return to stock HDD with an unmodified MS dash? do I need to do that before using the Hexen disc?

I definitely want to upgrade the HDD to something larger. Do you know the capacity it can handle? jez posted a link to a cheap adapter, will that work?

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 725#p25725

Thanks for the interest and help! This is amazing to see the Xbox scene still kickin. Must be lots of potential in this little box, hmm.

- Gumby
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

No need to revert to stock. But it can help if you mess things up.

Usually XBMC runs from E/Apps/XBMC, and most people I assume put most things on their F or G drives.

After doing it a few ways I now stick to F-only setup for drives up to 1TB. I have stick with 2TB drives lately though. Those are F&G obviously.

MSdash is likely unaltered (on C drive). Check. But it doesnt really matter. MS dash isn't good for much if anything.

I think the major reason to leave it is in the case your chip fails you will have a working (stock) dash. Then you can launch a softmod or re-chip it from a working state.

The reason I asked is because trouble often arises for people booting to a softmodded dash from a chip. When it's your first time learning about how to set dash paths and orienting yourself to the filesystem it can be very difficult. Make a backup of your E:/ind-bios.cfg ... Then you can try editing and applying your own custom bios settings for boot paths, colors, etc etc
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Gumby,

Check your PM box