Trusty xbox heatsink replacement

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xboxprince

Trusty xbox heatsink replacement

Post by xboxprince »

I have a trusty 1.4ghz xbox and i want to replace the heat sink but i dont know what to replace it with any ideas?
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
fxmech

Re: Trusty xbox heatsink replacement

Post by fxmech »

I recall trusty saying the heatsink being custom - are you looking to replace it or change it to a different design?

PS. Why?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

fxmech wrote:I recall trusty saying the heatsink being custom
It is - it's a slab of finned aluminium hacksawed, bent and drilled to fit. I'm also curious why you'd want to replace it.
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

fxmech wrote:I recall trusty saying the heat sink being custom - are you looking to replace it or change it to a different design?

PS. Why?
yes looking to replace it because i took it off because i was buying a water cooling kit and to get an idea off what kit i need to purchase i had to take off the heat sink, then i dropped one of the screws and spring and i cant find it :( so i need a replacement.
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Screw is replaceable.

Spring? Probably at the right hardware store. :)
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

fxmech wrote:Screw is replaceable.

Spring? Probably at the right hardware store. :)
ehh i dont feel like leaving, i dont really like it like that, and i dont have my liscence yet so i have to go on my parents time(not trying to waste money on bus fare)
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

cable ties work wonders on heat sinks
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

xboxprince wrote:ehh i dont feel like leaving, i dont really like it like that, and i dont have my liscence yet so i have to go on my parents time(not trying to waste money on bus fare)
Bummer having to rely on your parents. Still, independence has its price - and benefits. :-)
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

spicemuseum wrote:
xboxprince wrote:ehh i dont feel like leaving, i dont really like it like that, and i dont have my liscence yet so i have to go on my parents time(not trying to waste money on bus fare)
Bummer having to rely on your parents. Still, independence has its price - and benefits. :-)
yeah, im ready get out and explore, but ill be out of the house in a few years or so.
chunk1982

Post by chunk1982 »

No idea if it would work as I don't have a trusty box but would the spring out of a biro pen work??

Paul
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

xboxprince wrote:yeah, im ready get out and explore, but ill be out of the house in a few years or so.
Parents are sometimes useful. For example helping to find missing springs and bolts! :P
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

I think this is an interesting topic. I recently acquired a Trusty motherboard and I was looking for some heatsink to run it cooler; preferably somthing all copper!

Do the mounting holes around the CPU follow a standard pattern used in PC for mounting heatsinks?
Dynatron has lots of different coolers, some of them for 1U servers which would probably nicely fit.
The R13 or even A48G look like promising candidates, except for the mounting itself. Maybe a custom set of brackets could be made...
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

psyko_chewbacca wrote:Do the mounting holes around the CPU follow a standard pattern used in PC for mounting heatsinks?
Bespoke for the XBOX's cpu/gpu plastic mounting brackets so far as I know (but that's not definitive info, simply I've never come across the pattern on PC MoBos, someone else may be ready with a more convincing answer - such as the name/id for the pattern).

BTW, a link to pictures supplied by 'local' Trusty owners...
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... rusty#p105
ellowmatetyler

Post by ellowmatetyler »

If you want to liquid cool it they do make universal blocks. They have arms on them were the screws go to hold it down that move so you can line them up to the holes. I have one on my 7870 tahiti Le. Works great
Using Tapatalk
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

the xbox does not have any standard pattern for mounting like a pc you will have to adapt any thing to fit on the xbox.

the trusty heat sink is secured by 2 screws in oposing corners of the heatsink and it not the most stable but it works, if it was not for the springs it would not self level.

the factory heat sink was secured to a plastic frame that was attached to the motherboard using those two points and another point on the other side of the gpu.

i did look at making up stainless plate to sit over the 3 mounting holes and would have 8 studs sticking up in each corner of the cpu and gpu so you could adapt something standard.

the cooling is not the best as it is on my console i think it sits in the mid to high 60's and an upgrade has been on the cards for me for some time.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

professor_jonny wrote:the cooling is not the best as it is on my console i think it sits in the mid to high 60's and an upgrade has been on the cards for me for some time.
:shock: Mid/high 60s Celcius...? At idle, or after a hard work-out? If idle, that's not typical, suggests something wrong with the fan(s), heatsink(s) or mounting/bonding to the CPU/GPU.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Mine's around 50-55 C when running pmBlobs screensaver.
I had just cleaned the CPU/Heatsink and changed thermal paste but I ran it with the console opened, no modified HDD tray or case top. Probably the stock exhaust fan wasn't helping at all.

Surely closing up the console properly would provide a better airflow and cool it some more.

EDIT: Measured holes around CPU and dimensions center to center are aprox. 50mmx62mm. I don't remember trusty's heatsink dimension except it had 25mm height(heatsink + fan). Dynatron A1 or A2 would probably fit in the same space (but without a fan on top) if you drill holes like on trusty's heatsink.