TSOP Flashing help

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Dawscaus

TSOP Flashing help

Post by Dawscaus »

Hello everybody,

I am drowning in a sea of too much outdated knowlege. There are guides and tutorial out there on how to flash a tsop. What I want to know is what is the fastest, simplest, and best way to flash the xbox bios. I have a version 1.0 box as said by xbmc. Right now it is softmodded and boots to evo-x. I have a 2TB drive that I want to put in it eventually.

I want the most current, fully featured bios available to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MrMajst3r

Re: TSOP Flashing help

Post by MrMajst3r »

Here are clear photos:
http://www.biline.ca/xbox_solder.htm

After soldering, transfer bios file (via FTP) to C:\bios. Then go to Evox utilities and flash your TSOP :)
I recommend X2 5035 if you have 1.0 board. You can also make dual-bios on your 1.0 console.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

At this point, if you've never flashed a bios before, then the easiest thing to do is to find Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc (HeXEn) and use that to flash your TSOP. It will walk you through everything and includes the bios that I would recommend, which is X2 5035. Of course, you'll still have to bridge the TSOP write points.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Just a note to prevent any accidents:
X2 5035 is 512kb, It will only fit on v1.0 and v.1.1 TSOP... and it will brick any other version if flashed on the TSOP (256kb tsop).

iND-BiOS 5003 fit any TSOP (256kb)... and it got more visual features.
In any case... iND-BiOS 5003 and X2 5035 are the best BIOS's to use on a TSOP as they can always be edited from a file on the HDD.
HeXEn is an excellent tool, I also recommend getting it if you are a Xbox mod newb... It will save you time now or later..
You might have to make adjustment to the BIOS config file to boot the location of your choice.
EX: Edit E:\x2config.ini or C:\ind-bios.cfg to boot E:\App\XBMC\default.xbe. (depending on which BIOS you choosed.. and where is your XBMC installation)
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Xphazer wrote:Just a note to prevent any accidents:
X2 5035 is 512kb, It will only fit on v1.0 and v.1.1 TSOP... and it will brick any other version if flashed on the TSOP (256kb tsop).

In any case... iND-BiOS 5003 and X2 5035 are the best BIOS's to use on a TSOP as they can always be edited from a file on the HDD.
HeXEn is an excellent tool, I also recommend getting it if you are a Xbox mod newb... It will save you time now or later..
You might have to make adjustment to the BIOS config file to boot the location of your choice.
EX: Edit E:\x2config.ini or C:\ind-bios.cfg to boot E:\App\XBMC\default.xbe. (depending on which BIOS you choosed.. and where is your XBMC installation)
I'm assuming that the visual features you're referring to are in regards to the flubber animation? I like X2 5035 over iND 5003 whenever I can because the in-game reset for iND 5003 is broken, which causes problems with some emulators.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Xphazer wrote:Just a note to prevent any accidents:

X2_5035 comes in a 1MB size for the 1.0-1.1 and that should be the only bios your using unless you plan to split the TSOP.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

This information is just what I was looking for I will get this done as soon as I can and report back. The hexen utility is there a certain version that I should use? latest?
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

-.X files can be used (ex make the flubber blob a skull... and the X logo another logo (mine have dolphin and f*** box)
-Can use a jpg to replace m$ logo..
-Logos positions
-Logo glow colour (logo light)
..And i forgot some other..

Other thing..
-A/V pack detect skip
-IGR mode (not just on/off)
-Set the MAC address.
(This could be a MAJOR difference in a college campus or for someone with no router and an ISP modem that need reset upon new MAC..
..Otherwise you gotta use config magic to edit the EEPROM)

-"Xecuter Rocks My Xbox" ..... Is an EXCELLENT reason to me for NOT using 5035.......
Cause xecuter is not rocking anything here.... I personally hate the term "Rock on!" or whatever...

IGR is not broken... i use it every week... and unlike other.. you can open the dvd-tray with a button combo and other stuff like that.
The only IGR problem.... is that it interfere with coinops settings to save game states....

-Reset to Game/Reset to Dash (Triggers + Black + Back) OR (Triggers + Back + Start)
-Shutdown (Triggers + Back + White)
-Tray Eject (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad UP)
-Tray Close (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad DOWN)
-Power Cycle (Triggers + Back + X + Black) [hint: hit X before black]

For HeXEn, there is a download link in my signature. :)
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Nextelhalo wrote:X2_5035 comes in a 1MB size for the 1.0-1.1 and that should be the only bios your using unless you plan to split the TSOP.
Why are you saying that like its the ONLY bios that can work lol ?? Any v1.0-v1.5 compatible 256k bios multiplied 4x = 1MB will do. :)

>And i often ear of TSOP splitting these day on the forum... WE CANNOT suggest it, or make all the people want that...
It make the MCPX chip runs a lot hotter.. And many other Bad stuff... TSOP splitting was strongly not recommended by the Xbox Linux dev team. (been there, done that)
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Xphazer wrote:-.X files can be used (ex make the flubber blob a skull... and the X logo another logo (mine have dolphin and f*** box)
-Can use a jpg to replace m$ logo..
-Logos positions
-Logo glow colour (logo light)
..And i forgot some other..

Other thing..
-A/V pack detect skip
-IGR mode (not just on/off)
-Set the MAC address.
(This could be a MAJOR difference in a college campus or for someone with no router and an ISP modem that need reset upon new MAC..
..Otherwise you gotta use config magic to edit the EEPROM)

-"Xecuter Rocks My Xbox" ..... Is an EXCELLENT reason to me for NOT using 5035.......
Cause xecuter is not rocking anything here.... I personally hate the term "Rock on!" or whatever...

IGR is not broken... i use it every week... and unlike other.. you can open the dvd-tray with a button combo and other stuff like that.
The only IGR problem.... is that it interfere with coinops settings to save game states....

-Reset to Game/Reset to Dash (Triggers + Black + Back) OR (Triggers + Back + Start)
-Shutdown (Triggers + Back + White)
-Tray Eject (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad UP)
-Tray Close (Triggers + Right Thumb + Dpad DOWN)
-Power Cycle (Triggers + Back + X + Black) [hint: hit X before black]

For HeXEn, there is a download link in my signature. :)
The CoinOps interference is exactly what I meant. I used to use iND 5003 exclusively until I ran into that problem, and if that was fixed, then I would definitely switch back. X2 5035 skips A/V pack detection as well. I never understood the need to use a remote to eject the tray (whether it's a controller or remote control) considering I would still need to walk up to the Xbox/player/etc to do whatever I needed to do with the tray open. A shutdown combo would be nice for X2 5035, although I IR modded my Xbox so I use the remote control to turn it on and off.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Xphazer wrote:And i often ear of TSOP splitting these day on the forum... WE CANNOT suggest it, or make all the people want that...
It make the MCPX chip runs a lot hotter.. And many other Bad stuff... TSOP splitting was strongly not recommended by the Xbox Linux dev team. (been there, done that)
Here's the gory details for those interested:
http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name= ... le&sid=183
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

OK so I have done the deed. I soldered the points and used hexen to flash the bios on two boxes. one of the boxes I used the Ind 5003 and the other one I used the X2 5035. I now want to install a 2TB hdd what should be my next move?
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

I'm pretty sure that HeXEn will prepare a new hard drive for you as well. Just install the hard drive and boot up with HeXEn.
xman

Post by xman »

Dawscaus wrote:OK so I have done the deed. I soldered the points and used hexen to flash the bios on two boxes. one of the boxes I used the Ind 5003 and the other one I used the X2 5035. I now want to install a 2TB hdd what should be my next move?
Put in your 2TB with your adapter and see if you can boot Slayer's. I say Slayer's because Heimdall said some time ago Hexan couldn't be used for building 1 or 2TB satas. I'm not sure on how your Ind bios will perform at this task as the bios needs to read from the C drive if I'm correct and a lot of issues with big arsed satas is related to the HDD coming on line slow. As for your x2 bios, I again wish you luck, I know I could never get an X3 modchip with Executer bioses to work with sata HDDs bigger than 1TB. I always use M8 bioses myself but I'm quite interested in seeing if you can get the other bioses working satisfactorily. Satisfactorily I would deem as being booting without a hitch 19 out of 20 bootups and the only true way you will see this is by having about 200Gb in both your F and G drive when I have judged is about the amount a 2TB requires before it starts running as you would expect with boot times of about 10-12 seconds consistently.
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

OK I got it up and running. On the IND 5003 bios. Boot time is quite a bit slower but I have a G and F partition of 950 GB. I used the HeXen disk and it worked great. What can I do with my new found power? What does this bios let me do? can some one point me in the right direction so that I can get full use of its potential.

Right now I have the following drives

C 325 MB
E 4.7 GB
F 950 GB
G 950 GB
Q 4.7 GB

I know there is no real right or wrong answer but I would like peoples opinion on where I should put things and what I should install.

I currently have all the apps stored on the E drive
I ripped halo 2 to the F drive
I put coinops 4 on the G drive - it is not setup. I have never installed it before. I just got it from Underground gamer, unzipped it and FTP'ed it over

Please feel free to post suggestions and links so that I can become knowlegeable at this.
xman

Post by xman »

YOU HAVE CHECKED YOUR CLUSTER SIZES?. I say this because I always end up with F and G at 927Gb a piece. Fill F or G to over 500Gb and see if you start loosing directories. Looking in filemanger you will notice files with 0 file sizes or if you select something like a movie and it won't start are what you are looking fore to indicate cluster sizes set incorrectly. As you fill the HDD up, you will see faster boot times. The Sammy HDDs are usually good for 10-12 second boot times.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Dawscaus wrote:OK I got it up and running. On the IND 5003 bios. Boot time is quite a bit slower.
This is because the bios reads the config file off the hdd you can inject the config file to the bios and flash it to the chip/tsop if you wish to speed it up but it is olny a few seconds at best.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

I haven't found the config file bioses to be much slower than the older bioses, maybe a few seconds longer at most. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the slowdown you're experiencing is caused by using a large hard drive.