Where can I get Xbox ram chips?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
fxmech

Re: Where can I get Xbox ram chips?

Post by fxmech »

Geeba wrote:Did they ever make chips that were a larger memory size but the same pinouts? so instead of 16mb each.. say 32mb each?

Anyone ever tried adding larger capacity RAM chips?
No.

@psy_chew
Thanks for clearing it up about the different revisions. I found a lot of old information on RAM regarding different versions compatibility. It is the case then, that all D, F, and M [QC-50] are compatible and interchangeable regardless of Xbox version?

There are many reports of non compatible pairings on the Internet but it is possible those reports were from faulty installations.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Geeba wrote:Did they ever make chips that were a larger memory size but the same pinouts? so instead of 16mb each.. say 32mb each?

I don't think they make chips with more capacity using the same footprint.
fxmech wrote:@psy_chew
Thanks for clearing it up about the different revisions. I found a lot of old information on RAM regarding different versions compatibility. It is the case then, that all D, F, and M [QC-50] are compatible and interchangeable regardless of Xbox version?

There are many reports of non compatible pairings on the Internet but it is possible those reports were from faulty installations.
I guess it must be reports from faulty installation or QC60+ chips.
Installing RAM chips that "can" go faster than the speed it's actually used is not a problem.
For example, in a PC, you can put DDR400 modules on a motherboard that only supports up to DDR333 speeds and already containing DDR333-rated modules without any problem. Both RAM sticks will work the same but the DDR400-rated one will be running at DDR333 speeds.

As I said earlier, I've been installing "F" chips along stock "M" chips on multiple Xbox revisions without any issue. I tested them all using SmartXX MemoryTester(and now mine too!) and Surreal64 CE.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Bu99er it, I'm gonna buy some and give it a go misself.

*** EDIT ***
...and so I did. I'll let you know when they arrive, and my next steps.
Last edited by spicemuseum on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asbo

Post by asbo »

I've heard of people piggybacking RAM chips in other consoles etc, does anyone know if that's possible in the XBOX?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

No, piggybacking isn't possible. The Xbox will only allow addressing of RAM up to 128MB.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Another source for new ram chips is here - http://www.utsource.net/
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

psyko_chewbacca wrote:

I don't think they make chips with more capacity using the same footprint.
Hmmmmm... I'm sure I've seen Samsung items that were 32mb each... I'll take another look.... wish I still had my SMT station :(
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Geeba, 128MB is the maximum. You are probably recalling bits or some other spec on the RAM.

Plus no program would use your RAM should you somehow get it working. It would be a lot of extra work desoldering all the working chips to replace with 8 new ones so even if it were possible almost nobody would get it hence no reason to develop for it.