xbox without DVD and HDD, need some advice

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
blackonwoman

xbox without DVD and HDD, need some advice

Post by blackonwoman »

Hello, I'm new owner of the XBOX 1.6a, sadly without DVD rom (I don't know what happened) and stock HDD seems dead ... With original xbox BIOS it's provides 07 error.

I'm soldered Alladin XT chip (d0 shorted to GND) and it's provided new xbox bios, I believed it's M8, but I'm don't know which version ?

it's look like this but without "microsof7" under X logo

With new xbox bios from Alladin and stock HDD it's provides the same 07 error ...
With another HDD (about 60 gigs not patched for xbox) it's provides no errors but no menu at all, X logo only :cry:
It's normal ? I'm need reflash Alladin BIOS or run something from missing DVD or ?
Please tell me what I missed ?
xman

Re: xbox without DVD and HDD, need some advice

Post by xman »

That screen is as far a the modchip on it's own can take you. The machine is now looking for the DVD and failing the check, because it isn't there. Two choices, get a DVDplayer and then you can use an installer to build the HDD you have or re-flash the modchip with a non DVD bios. At some stage you are going to need a DVDdriver to build the HDD though.
At least you know your chip install and the Xbox is working fine though.
blackonwoman

Post by blackonwoman »

thanks, with non DVD bios I can reinstall HDD without additional apps ? or can I launch apps from USB stick (with xbox controller port mod) ?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

blackonwoman wrote:thanks, with non DVD bios I can reinstall HDD without additional apps ? or can I launch apps from USB stick (with xbox controller port mod) ?
You will need some way of getting the apps onto the hdd, you cant launch any app from usb but you can copy them from usb to hdd BUT you will need a dash that can read FAT32 like XBMC.
I cant see how you can achieve this without a DVD drive temporarily fitted.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
xman

Post by xman »

That is exactly as I thought. You need an app to get the machine to read from the USB. You can't read from a USB without having an app running and that needs to be on the HDD or the DVDrive. I was waiting for someone to respond that builds HDDs on a P.C.. Never done it that way myself. And if you have a HDD built you are still going to fail the DVD check the bios will perform till it is changed. I can't see any way with methods I'm familiar with I'm afraid.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

To make the initial setup/installation it might be worth trying to use a regular PC IDE DVD-ROM drive, powered by a PC PSU.
Otherwise you will have to prepare the HDD on a PC if you don't have any way to boot an install disk.