NEW PROJECT, I have many questions.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
TheGeekoid

NEW PROJECT, I have many questions.

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay first off what is the best dashboard to use for an already-softmodded 1.6 box. I would prefer like an EvoX version that has HD video support and has many menu options (kind of like advanced Evox or something) And also i have a v1.6 Xbox with the stock black case, component out modded video cable, stock Samsung DVD drive that works fine (i dropped it once :oops: and it still reads fine but the tray opening and closing is weird) has a Stock hard drive, and is in perfect working order. I would like to know what mods i should perform on it (case, software, and hardware) and i dont mind it being bulky. None of this slimbox stuff i want a big beast that does well for my needs. Would like to know what modchip to get (under $20 preferably) and i already have a maxtor drive i can use for it (dam thing just doesnt lock though) If i need to redo a softmod/ burn a disc im okay with that/ am okay-ish with soldering. What should I do?? (I have It HD enabled via component mod already and confirmed it works right)
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
Geeba

Re: NEW PROJECT, I have many questions.

Post by Geeba »

Best dash is XBMC4XBOX ! :D

Hardware upgrades for me has always been...

A dam good clean, cases through the dishwasher, mainboard antistatic foam cleaner and dry, 80mm ball bearing fan, akasa silver thermal paste, 7200RPM HDD ether IDE or SATA and a 80 strand IDE cable, the 7200rpm drive is a lot faster, better access times and usually newer drives are quieter.

I'm kinda tempted to try a cheap SSD, but just not had free time/cash recently.... :(

Personally I tend to softmod my boxes.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Well the way I am is i like to have either EVOX or UnleashX as the main dash, and then have XBMC as an application. XBMC doesnt have all of the tools i would like to have handy. I have a Maxtor 250 GB HDD at 7200 RPM. Only problem is its a Quick View version and wont lock. I therefore need a modchip. I would like a PC case thats bigger (for other hardware goodies i might eventually put in there) but the current one works. As for the fan i have the stock fan set at 40% (via Krayzies Extras) and its quiet enoguh ans keeps the box cool. I cut some holes in the HDD tray for better airflow. Cut out the fan RF sheild for better airflow. I have the HeXEn dashboards loaded on it but they dont have many options. What is the most recent version of EvoX and can i have a link to it?
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

Get an Aladdin! 12$ and does the job well. That, or maybe wait for psyko_chewbacca to finish his WIP modchip (awesome stuff, btw). I don't think it would be under 20$ though.

Oh, BTW with a 1.6 you'll have to do the LPC rebuild. Nothing complicated really.

Xlink Kai: DavPow
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Ive never heard of having to do that... Im not soldering on the motherboard ive already fucked up an xbox tsop flashing with a sharp. This is the only one i have left. Soldering ONLY to the LPC port okay
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

You'll never get a modchip to work in that case, unless you find one of these for cheap:

http://www.dynatron.org/howto/XBOX/hack ... o/1.6.html
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

I can try that. Im very weary to do this to my last board
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

You dont have to use an lpc rebuild pcb, you can solder the wires to the pin header legs.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

So i have a question regarding Rocky5s softmod kit. I downloaded both the official kit and the extras kit. What do i need to update the softmod currently on my 1.6 box? I dont need the game exploits do I? I can just burn the .iso in the extras kit right?
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

bigkidoz wrote:You dont have to use an lpc rebuild pcb, you can solder the wires to the pin header legs.
Yeah I know that, but he said he didn't want to solder on the motherboard except for the LPC. A rebuild board makes it easier to solder.