noisy xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
promannen

noisy xbox

Post by promannen »

Ok so i have the xbox up and running with 1tb harddrive and a new 80mm fan. But i still think the xbox is loud , the harddrive is the loudest part running at 7200 rpm I think, and I have tried to change the harddrive settings in xbmc but I cant tell no different , what can I do to make it more silent? I am thinking about putting in a laptop 2.5 drive @320 gig, they are more silent than big sata drives, but i dont know how to hold it in the console any solutions? Maybe my xbox is just loud , it was a longtime ago I was in this xbox business but i cant recall that the console was this noisy. The xbox is an 1.6 version and have the two heatsinks , so thats not the problem , maybe i just bought an loud harddrive for it.
garet74

Re: noisy xbox

Post by garet74 »

insulate
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Fan speeds can be controlled in Settings > System > General > Fan speed override, although if you do set it lower than the default 20% you should watch your temperatures in System Info screen, especially during video playback.

Hard drive can be controlled in Settings > System > Harddisk > Acoustic Management Level = Quiet, although drive may or may not support it and you may see a slowdown, obviously depending on your model.

Some of the noise may be due to vibrations - you could put some rubber gaskets with the fan screws, although if you do that with the hard drive it may actually increase its temperature slightly as there will be less heat transfered from the HDD to the cage.

The idea of noise insulation is actually interesting, I've been thinking to get some panels / foam / fabric for my desktop, although I never got to it so I don't know how well actually works, e.g. http://quietpc.co.uk/acousticmaterials

Some people I understand put their Xboxes away in a cupboard under the TV (ensure you got proper ventilation) and route the cables around, so its out of sight and not as noisy.
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

i let the fan on automatic setting in xbmc.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
promannen

Post by promannen »

Maybe I should just get an ssd for just this box and buy an other brand harddrive for another xbox. Or the advice to put it under the tv , thanks for the replies.