Softmodded Xbox Questions

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
TheGeekoid

Softmodded Xbox Questions

Post by TheGeekoid »

As you may know I recently botched my Xbox in a TSOP flash incident. However I still have a perfectly fine Softmodded Xbox with a 1.6 revision board. First off, I want to install a new hard drive in it. I have a maxtor 250 gig ide hard drive that locks. However chimp does not want to lock it though it can read the drive fine. Also, how do I go about soldering usb ports, an HDMI out, and a controller receiver chip onto the board? Any suggestions welcome!
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
garet74

Re: Softmodded Xbox Questions

Post by garet74 »

for the usb ports you must take the wire of the controller port and make the usb ports in parallel..if you want you can solder the wire that is better,for component , not hdmi,you have to open the connector of the cable that you plug in the console ,desolder it and solder in a component cable..after that you have just to bridge 4 pin to enable component output and for the controller the same of the usb ports,you take the four wire,yellow is not used and connect the adapter ,if you have any question ask.bye
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay that answers the question about the video and usb ports. I have looked around and cannot find any info related to the Chimp issue. Whenever i try to boot chimp off of the hard drive it freezes at "Starting Linux" and does nothing else. The only way i get chimp to work is if i use etherboot (from my laptop) or booting off AID v4.53. And THEN the issue is locking the drive. It is a Maxtor 250GB IDE HDD at 7200RPM (a decently wide data bus dont remember specific numbers) and ive confirmed it supports locking (chimp even says its lockable) Chimp is able to read the hard drive and gather all of the info about it (ex. Brand, Model #, Serial # etc.) When i go to lock it i choose from motherboard and prompts me what it will lock the drive with, and it says select yes to lock. Only issue is controllers have no "yes" button (i pressed buttons and nothing happened except for B bringing me back a page) and when i connect a keyboard via my female USB to male XBOX adapter and type yes STILL nothing happens. I also noticed that if i try to lock the slave drive (i made sure the Maxtor was set to slave at all times) with the GentooX loader used to boot chimp, it errors out and freezes. At this point I have no clue whats wrong or why it wont work. If you have any suggestions (or this had already been discussed) please let me know. Thanks!
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Look in the guides section, i just re uploaded my usb conversion guide that was on the old site.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Anything about the hard drive though?????? Ive looked around and cant find any info in it.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Are you using the latest version of chimp ?, anything else wont work with a V1.6 console.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Thats an excellent question because i have no clue what the latest version is of Chimp is in the first place. :lol:
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

TheGeekoid wrote:Thats an excellent question because i have no clue what the latest version is of Chimp is in the first place. :lol:
I think its 2618 or there abouts.
garet74

Post by garet74 »

i'm sorry i don't know nothing about chimp,consider to install a modchip that it's the best solution and solve your hard drive problem forever
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Well that number looks familliar. I got my chimp off of theisozone and thats the version i got. Someone directed me to a eurasia site with an aladdin XT chip for 12 bucks but i would like an xecuter3/xenium (that supports LCD displays) to use with XBMC. I am trying to mod this thing and am very frustrated with my dad who thinks it is a piece of crap (OBVIOUSLY wrong) and doesnt want me to spend much money on it. All in all im between a rock and a hard place...
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay so about the video mod, I have a composite A/V video cable laying around (yellow, red, white) and i heard that the cable is the same as a component cable ( Y Pr Pb) and i was wondering if i could get away with doing the component mod and still get full 720p output. I found the diagram for the A/V out pins on these forums. Is it possible?
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Well im crabby.... I looked up my model number drive and i found that it was lockable. I also later found out that that the QuickView versions (wich i have) is unlockable. So in other words it was the drive all along..
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

TheGeekoid wrote:Okay so about the video mod, I have a composite A/V video cable laying around (yellow, red, white) and i heard that the cable is the same as a component cable ( Y Pr Pb) and i was wondering if i could get away with doing the component mod and still get full 720p output. I found the diagram for the A/V out pins on these forums. Is it possible?

Do you mean to open up the plug and solder component leads to it ? For under a tenner just buy component leads, or get one of the component> HDMI converters .
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

No i mean its a plain Composite Cable (NOT the xbox connector, i bought it at BigLots for 5 bucks) and i was wondering if i would still get full 720p playback if i used it as a component cable (all cables being used for video instead of one for video and two for audio)
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Well good news. A composite cable works marvelously as a component cable. Im getting wonderful output results. What i did was open the original xbox composite cable it came with, soldered in the other composite cable for component Y Pr Pb pins on the proprietary connector. I ran wires out of the connector for the Mode Select. The only issue is the default composite doesnt work/is very garbled even if i have the mode select for it. Well at least component out works properly. :D :D :D :D