X3 LCD woes

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
yadster

X3 LCD woes

Post by yadster »

I have just purchased a non working Xbox from eBay with an xexuter3 modchip and LCD display. After a couple of hours tinkering, cleaning, swapping parts, putting wires in the right place and reflashing the bios with X3_3294 I have got it up and running and booting into XBMC. The only problem is that the LCD display doesn't work correctly. The top row of text is missing the bottom row of pixels and the second row of text only shows two rows of the pixels. The bottom two rows of text are perfect. I have checked all the wires and connections and all seems okay so I can only assume it's the LCD display itself that is at fault. Has anyone else had the same problem and should I look to replace the LCD? Thanks.

asbo

Re: X3 LCD woes

Post by asbo »

I don't know how to fix your problem but if it is the LCD I'm fairly sure they're those cheap 20x4 ones you can get on ebay, under £5 :)
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

My guess is the LCD itself is at fault. Looking at how the non working lines are fainter than the other makes me think that the signal lines for those rows got disconnected.

As asbo suggested, you should get a cheap 20x4 HD44780 LCD module on ebay (cheapest I could find is $6.17USD). That is of course if the LCD isn't a genuine XLCD from Team Xecuter. XLCD is connected via a wire harness that plugs in the white rectangular socket on both the XLCD and the Xecuter3 modchip. These are really hard to come by or replace due to their supporting green PCB being smaller than those cheap HD44780 LCDs and of course the custom connector.

If it's really a XLCD you have in there, your best chances to replace the screen is to find a TC2004B (like so: http://www.vatronix.com/old/showP.asp?i ... =Character). These have a smaller PCB that will make the LCD fit on top of controller ports 3 & 4. Cheap HD44780 are too large and requires you to remove or relocate those controller ports.
clabs

Post by clabs »

Hey buddy - how are you? Good to see that you are back with one of these again :)

I have seen that problem a few times and it may possibly be an easy fix for you.

Unclip the X3CP from the front of the console so you can get to the back of the lcd display. With the consoles turned on, try applying pressure to various areas of the lcd pcb whilst looking at the display. With a bit of luck you will find that when you press in a certain area, the blank bits of the lcd will start working again.

If you look at the rear of the lcd display, you will see that there are 8 little metal tabs that protrude through the pcb and hold the front metal bezel on. You can try adjusting these around the affected area with a small pair of pliers. I know of another user who says that bending the metal tabs down flat onto the small silver coloured squares on the pcb worked for him. You will want to remove the lcd display from the front panel first to make it easier to work on - it is held in with 4 small screws.

If this still does not work then the next step will be to remove the bezel completely and clean the connections between the display glass and the pcb but try what I suggested first.
yadster

Post by yadster »

Thanks for all the replies - it really is appreciated.

@asbo I have had a look on eBay and there's certainly plenty to choose from. Most look like they are too big due to the circuit board and have the wrong connection for hooking up to the X3 modchip.

@psyko_chewbacca It is indeed a proper XLCD and looking at the HD44780 LCDs on eBay they appear to be too big and have the wrong type of connection for attaching to the X3 chip. Thanks for the pointer for the TC2004B LCD, I shall certainly have a look in more detail at one of those. There doesn't appear to be any on eBay UK at the moment though.

@clabs thanks for that useful information. It was as you said and when I took the back of the LCD off the text disappeared. Applying pressure to certain points does indeed fetch the text back but alas when I tightened the back up with some pliers I still wasn't able to get back those missing lines of pixels :(

Thinking what I have spent on Xbox's recently (I have about 5 or 6 in various states that I have picked up from eBay and car boots) I could have bought an Ouya. It wouldn't have been as much fun though :lol:
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

i would reccomend putting a non x3 lcd in that controll panel i tried that and it dosnt come out clean
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

it is not broken i have fixed many in the same state it is that the circuit board does not press down on the lcd proberly and the rubber conductive strip in the middle is loosing connection between the lcd and circuit board.

if you bend the little hooks towards the circuit board it adds pressure and it fixes it.
I have also pulled out the screen from the metal carrier and added a thin sheet of plastic between it and the lcd and re asembeled it.

The conductive mat circuit board and matt should be cleaned with rubbing alch to ensure no oil or greese is effecting things also.
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

wouldn't*
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
yadster

Post by yadster »

Just a quick update. I stripped the LCD again, cleaned using some alcohol rub, tried with plastic behind as well as tightening the clasps as best as I can. Still the same :( I will give it another go in a few weeks but at the minute my on-off-on-off-on house move is causing chaos so fingers crossed when I have moved I will give it another go before admitting defeat. Thanks again to everyone who were so kind as to offer me some help.