Is this really necessary ? Xbox Clock Capacitor Removal

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
MRN3

Is this really necessary ? Xbox Clock Capacitor Removal

Post by MRN3 »

Hi,
i just found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdR8Ryn4wE

And would like to ask you, is this really necessary or is this just hypochondriac ?

The Problem is, i got 3 Xboxes, and i would like to not open them again, also one is a Xbox 1.6, so it needs a different way to remove the capacitor.
Also i am not that much into doing stuff like this, i think i would harm the xbox more than it would help.
Rocky5

Re: Is this really necessary ? Xbox Clock Capacitor Removal

Post by Rocky5 »

No it's not mandatory, but it is preferred amongst modders, sine one day it will go bad.

If your hard modded, Tsoped or softmodded (newer softmod) then you don't need to worry about the clock & you can just remove the capacitor before it does burst.

Also Xbox 1.6 you shouldn't need to remove the cap as its a better brand isn't prone to leaking.

It's also an easy process, all you do is wiggle it back & forth untill it falls off.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Rocky5 wrote:It's also an easy process, all you do is wiggle it back & forth untill it falls off.
Rarely is the reason for opening your boxes easier than the opening of the boxes themselves. Worth being thorough, methinks.
xman

Post by xman »

I personally have never had one that required removal and as a result, have never removed one. I have always put that down to all the Australian machines all come from the Chinese factory and maybe, the Chinese cap was better quality. I can't believe I just said that. :shock: but that is what I put it down to.
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

I recommend removing it. I have seen Xboxes with corroded or damaged traces around already leaked clock-cap.
7/10 Xboxes (besides 1.6) which I open have leaking clock-cap.
If you can't solder, just cut off capacitor's legs, then clean motherboard with isopropyl alcohol or gasoline.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

Take a look at the photos asbo posted in this post - taking the cap of is worth doing if you have the top of the xbox off.
I don't know about stock bioses but with a custom bios I can't see a downside to removing the cap.
MRN3

Post by MRN3 »

ok, so i will remove it, the guy in the video pulls out to clean it, but that isnt needed ? I mean, can i just wiggle it back & forth as rocky5 said and thats all ?
No cleaning or something ? Because i dont have anything to clean it up.

Also i got a unmodded xbox which i got in December 2003, so this isnt a 1.6 i guess.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

Not sure about dates of manufacture. I think there is a way you can check via serial number but I think going to system info in xbmc and checking Xbox version is quite reliable.

As for having something to clean the motherboard with, not necessary if the cap hasnt leaked but be careful if you're not soldering it out - I've tried pulling the cap out and ended up splitting it and leaking fluid everywhere. If you have a pair of snips try and get them underneath to cut the legs
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Over the last few years I've opened quite a few xboxes but only seen one (a 1.1version) with a leaking cap - I replaced it with a 2.7v super capacitor from maplin.

I can't confirm this but I've read that if the capacitor from a 1.6v xbox is removed (& not replaced) it won't boot.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yep you just wiggle it until it comes off , its pretty easy .
If there is any leakage I would just use a cotton bud or two to remove it .
tim619

Post by tim619 »

I also removed the clock capacitor from my xbox yesterday it was already leaked. But I'm not sure if it can become more critical for the
xbox if the capacitor has already leaked. I removed mine nevertheles without soldering just pulled it off and the xbox booted fine but was a version 1.1.
Ging3rguy

Post by Ging3rguy »

tim619 wrote:I also removed the clock capacitor from my xbox yesterday it was already leaked. But I'm not sure if it can become more critical for the
xbox if the capacitor has already leaked. I removed mine nevertheles without soldering just pulled it off and the xbox booted fine but was a version 1.1.
You only need a clock capacitor installed to run a 1.6 anything earlier and it is fine to remove. Just clean up the gunk with a cotton bud and some isopropyl fluid (alcohol liquid cleaner) or something similar, just don't rub to hard or you my remove another component :!: :)