What to do when a XBOX boots up to service screen?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
wchusky

What to do when a XBOX boots up to service screen?

Post by wchusky »

I got a XBOX with the original hard drive (unmodded) thats boots up to the green service screen. What are my options to fix it? I tried to plug in a new 40 GB IDE and it still boots to the service screen whether I set it to MASTER or CS on the jumper.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Blackshadow

Re: What to do when a XBOX boots up to service screen?

Post by Blackshadow »

what was the error number on the service screen with the original hdd (top left i beleave there will be a big number)

also with an unmodded xbox you cant just stick a new hdd in and run it it has to be formatted with the dashboard files installed and unlss you have a modchip/tsop'd motherboard also requires it to be locked via a code from that specific xbox's eeprom(again cant be collected unless you run an exploit of some sort)
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Blackshadow wrote:what was the error number on the service screen with the original hdd (top left i beleave there will be a big number)

also with an unmodded xbox you cant just stick a new hdd in and run it it has to be formatted with the dashboard files installed and unlss you have a modchip/tsop'd motherboard also requires it to be locked via a code from that specific xbox's eeprom(again cant be collected unless you run an exploit of some sort)
From the tone of the OPs mail, I suspect:
- the hard disc has failed (we'll know for sure when she (or he) tells us the error code).
- the OP doesn't have a copy of eeprom.bin, nor an EEPROM reader.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

wchusky wrote:I got a XBOX with the original hard drive (unmodded) thats boots up to the green service screen. What are my options to fix it? I tried to plug in a new 40 GB IDE and it still boots to the service screen whether I set it to MASTER or CS on the jumper.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
On an unmodded console you cant just swap in a replacement hdd and make it work, could be various reasons why its not booting but without giving us the error code we cant assist.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Let's hope it's not a v1.0 with the original kernel oO or we won't get any code.

We can try & limit the error codes.

1 situation could be:
Does the xbox play original games? if the time is set it will load a game, bypassing the dashboard. (Corrupt drive)
If it doesn't boot originals it could be the clock is not set & the dashboard is missing or corrupt.

Also had the xbox been opened before you opened it?

It could also be the clock cap has leaked & damaged the board or been removed & no MS dash is found so error.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

Rocky5 wrote:Let's hope it's not a v1.0 with the original kernel oO or we won't get any code.

We can try & limit the error codes.

1 situation could be:
Does the xbox play original games? if the time is set it will load a game, bypassing the dashboard. (Corrupt drive)
If it doesn't boot originals it could be the clock is not set & the dashboard is missing or corrupt.

Also had the xbox been opened before you opened it?

It could also be the clock cap has leaked & damaged the board or been removed & no MS dash is found so error.

First of all, thank you everybody for the tips so far.

This XBOX was manufactured in 2004, so I am sure it is not V1.0. The big fat error code is 16. I tried to stick a DVD in and it won't boot. It still goes to the service screen with the big fat 16 on the upper left.

Couple of things:

1. I got this XBOX from someone that has no EEPROM backup file.
2. Do I have the use the hot swap method to rebuild the HDD? If so, where to download the latest rescue DVD?
3. I am assuming the HDD is locked, there is no way to avoid the hot swap method correct?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Clock error.

Think this person has softmodded it & arsed it up.

You won't be able to run any game due to this error, it triggered before the kernel checks for a disc.

You can fix it but you will need to hotswap it, either using another Xbox & Chimp or XBox hard drive maker. (XboxHDM)

When the error screen appears this means the Xbox has unlocked the drive.

If you have a spare Xbox use Chimp, so much easier than trying to find a PC that's compatible.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

Rocky5 wrote:Clock error.

Think this person has softmodded it & arsed it up.

You won't be able to run any game due to this error, it triggered before the kernel checks for a disc.

You can fix it but you will need to hotswap it, either using another Xbox & Chimp or XBox hard drive maker. (XboxHDM)

When the error screen appears this means the Xbox has unlocked the drive.

If you have a spare Xbox use Chimp, so much easier than trying to find a PC that's compatible.
Thanks for the tip. I never done this before. Are the following steps correct?

1. Softmod an xbox with original 8 GB drive.
2. Boot up bad HDD on the error 16 XBOX.
3. Boot up softmodded 8 GB XBOX.
4. Hot swap the bad HDD.
5. Clone the HDD to slave.
6. DONT lock the new drive.
7. Try to boot on the error 16 XBOX with the new cloned HDD

Correct?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Yes, there is only one thing the drive must be in slave mode, not sure if you can take jumper out before plugging it into the DVD IDE connector, you can try & also try booting the error 16 drive in slave mode & see if the system unlocks the drive wait for the error screen.

If we can't use Chimp (I forgot about the HDD must be a slave) XboxHDM is your only other option, same steps just you use a disc & a PC (or the XboxHDM USB version)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

Rocky5 wrote:Yes, there is only one thing the drive must be in slave mode, not sure if you can take jumper out before plugging it into the DVD IDE connector, you can try & also try booting the error 16 drive in slave mode & see if the system unlocks the drive wait for the error screen.

If we can't use Chimp (I forgot about the HDD must be a slave) XboxHDM is your only other option, same steps just you use a disc & a PC (or the XboxHDM USB version)
I tried bunch of things tonight and here are the results:

1. Left good softmodded XBOX drive jumper on CS. Booted up bad XBOX, got to error 16, drive is also on CS. Started Chimp, but Chimp wont go further than Gentoox Loader screen. It is stuck there.

2. Tried one again, this time changed jumper on bad HDD while the drive is still plugged in to slave. Started Chimp and got stuck on the Gentoox loader screen.

3. Tried to put good softmodded XBOX to MASTER jumper, tried both 1 and 2 above and got stuck on the Chimp Gentoox screen.

4. Started bad drive on XBOX in SLAVE. This time I got error code 7. Hot swapped it and now Chimp loaded past Gentoox screen but got bunch of I/O errors. It does see the drive but slave security status shows the drive is LOCKED> I assumed this means XBOX won't unlock a HDD if it is in slave mode. I am assuming we can't clone while it is in locked status.

I guess the next thing is the PC method unless anyone got any other ideas.
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

I am able to use CHIMP to read the HDD key and HDD Password in DISPLAY SLAVE drive screen. Is there a way for me to use this info to create a hddkey.txt file and put it in e:\tmp\hddkey.txt since that's one of the locking option for slave drive in Chimp?

I suppose I can unlock the drive in Chimp, clone it, and lock it again with this hddkey.txt file. Now I just need to figure out what format is this hddkey.txt file. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

You have ventured into territory I dont know :lol:

I would have just used XboxHDM, same procedure, error screen & hotswap to PC IDE. (this way the HDD can be left in Master mode) (in reality I would have just used my Tsoped xbox to fix the hdd, or if using my Softmod never had this issue to begin with)

I dont have a HDDKey.txt so I assume it will be similar to the HDDKey.bin

just a txt file with the 32 character key.

example
d9addb3bff98548af74878273abc1bae0ccad5e2000000000000000000000000
or
d9 ad db 3b ff 98 54 8a f7 48 78 27 3a bc 1b ae 0c ca d5 e2 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Note: this may work or may not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also try one more time with the drive in slave mode & before you launch Chimp (LPartx) swap the IDE cables over then press (A) to launch it, thats how its meant to be loaded.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

Rocky5 wrote:You have ventured into territory I dont know :lol:

I would have just used XboxHDM, same procedure, error screen & hotswap to PC IDE. (this way the HDD can be left in Master mode) (in reality I would have just used my Tsoped xbox to fix the hdd, or if using my Softmod never had this issue to begin with)

I dont have a HDDKey.txt so I assume it will be similar to the HDDKey.bin

just a txt file with the 32 character key.

example
d9addb3bff98548af74878273abc1bae0ccad5e2000000000000000000000000
or
d9 ad db 3b ff 98 54 8a f7 48 78 27 3a bc 1b ae 0c ca d5 e2 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Note: this may work or may not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also try one more time with the drive in slave mode & before you launch Chimp (LPartx) swap the IDE cables over then press (A) to launch it, thats how its meant to be loaded.
Dude - Thanks again for some great advice. I do have a hardmodded XBOX (the one I just upgraded to 1 TB). Now, there is no way to clone the drive to 8 GB since my is 1 TB. Can I use Slayer 3.3.7 to build a new HDD that will boot on original XBOX? In other words, what are the steps to rebuild the HDD using a hardmodded XBOX?

Thanks again!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

wchusky wrote:Dude - Thanks again for some great advice. I do have a hardmodded XBOX (the one I just upgraded to 1 TB). Now, there is no way to clone the drive to 8 GB since my is 1 TB. Can I use Slayer 3.3.7 to build a new HDD that will boot on original XBOX? In other words, what are the steps to rebuild the HDD using a hardmodded XBOX?

Thanks again!
Not possible without the EEPROM, all my Xboxs have the HDDKey nulled, well basically they all have the same everything so I can just swap stuff out & everything works, saves & all.

You're going to have to use XboxHDM. Get the USB version & I assume your PC has an IDE port?
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
spinnersp

Post by spinnersp »

wchusky wrote:
1. Left good softmodded XBOX drive jumper on CS. Booted up bad XBOX, got to error 16, drive is also on CS. Started Chimp, but Chimp wont go further than Gentoox Loader screen. It is stuck there.

are you using an original controller,Gentoox needs this
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

spinnersp wrote:
wchusky wrote:

are you using an original controller,Gentoox needs this
Yes I am. The XBOX has everything original except it is softmodded.