8164B adapter help

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
davidthomas

8164B adapter help

Post by davidthomas »

I have one of the original 8164B adapters and I cant find the install instructions. Does anyone still have them. I found some for a build one yourself with the same Atmel chip but none for this exact board. PLEASE HELP!

I got it from another member from a different site. If anyone else needs it let me know!
Rocky5

Re: 8164B adapter help

Post by Rocky5 »

Here is the solder points for on the drive board.

I will try & find the pinout a for the adapter.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
davidthomas

Post by davidthomas »

I found that already but I needed to know what the solder points were on the adapter itself. But lucky for me I happen to find someone that had it. I was close to working out all the solder points already when I got it. But it is good to know that I was right already. It is such a great adapter and fits like a dream!

The solderless version sucks because it sticks out so far in the rear. It hooks to the molex connector and then a ribbon cable runs inside to another board and that has 5 new ribbon cables that reroute all the ribbon cables inside to make the adapter work.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

davidthomas wrote:I found that already but I needed to know what the solder points were on the adapter itself. But lucky for me I happen to find someone that had it. I was close to working out all the solder points already when I got it. But it is good to know that I was right already. It is such a great adapter and fits like a dream!

The solderless version sucks because it sticks out so far in the rear. It hooks to the molex connector and then a ribbon cable runs inside to another board and that has 5 new ribbon cables that reroute all the ribbon cables inside to make the adapter work.
I use the solderless version, works great. I originally made my own one with the ATtiny, but got the solderless version for a cleaner look & I couldn't find the one you have.

When all fitted the solderless version fits inside the xbox no problem, since the dvd drive is shorter.

Maybe you can do a pinout for people that get one of these.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
davidthomas

Post by davidthomas »

Well you are in luck then! But I would say you should act fast on this! This is the place I got the last 2 that I have and they only have 2 of these adapters left now and there will be no more after them. I have the solderless version also but I did not like how far it stuck out the rear since it attaches to the molex connector. If you look at the MCBX case I have I used the solderless adapter on it and I removed the wires and solder it directly to the molex connector. That made it only stick out about half of what it was before.

http://www.modsupplier.com/catalog/xbox ... p-188.html

Here is the adapter pinout also.

UPDATE! I finished the installation and updated the firmware. It works perfect without the mod in the diagram below. But I would still like to see if it would be a benefit in anyway to do the mod.

Last edited by davidthomas on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
davidthomas

Post by davidthomas »

Ok now I have run into 1 last small detail and I wanted to see what you guys think about this before I wire it up. Basicly the diagram says to cut the trace between pin 1 and pin 8 on the microcontroller which is a 3.3 volt. Then to hook pin 1 up to the LDOUT pad. This way pin 1 on the microcontroller is no longer getting the 3.3 volts but will be hooked to the LDOUT now. Well if you look at the diagram below it was supposed to be hooked to the LDOUT in the first place.

Does anyone know why they did not hook it to LDOUT to start with and decided to supply it with 3.3 volts instead? This did not come with the manual. This is something that I got in another set of instructions with the DIY adapter. So now I am not sure if I should leave the adapter as it was made or to do the mod that is in the diagram.

viclau

Post by viclau »

Does anyone know where to get a solderless 8164 adapter? I am terrible on soldering. Thanks.

Vic
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

viclau wrote:Does anyone know where to get a solderless 8164 adapter? I am terrible on soldering. Thanks.

Vic
Where I got mine.

http://www.discoazul.co.uk/xbox-dvd-adapter.html
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

Sadly no one sales the old red boards.
steeve_madison

Post by steeve_madison »

anyone got the fuse bit setting for the attiny13 , i have a drive that i need to mod
but i'm not sure for the fuse bit
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

steeve_madison wrote:anyone got the fuse bit setting for the attiny13 , i have a drive that i need to mod
but i'm not sure for the fuse bit
You got the source code for that chip? I never looked for it but is it widely available?