Softmod Tool: Need testers.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Rocky5

Softmod Tool: Need testers.

Post by Rocky5 »

I have tested it on the following & it works flawlessly.
One V1.1 & two v1.6

Released:
http://theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/to ... -disc-v11/

2014 Softmod kit

This softmod was originally made for my personal use, but it turned into something more & I thought I would release it to the public.

It was designed with security & simplicity in mind & I think that has been achieved, its extremely simple to softmod your Xbox & extremely difficult to break it.

So new users cant go wrong, in changing dashboards & features, with the help of read me sections in all menus.

Main Features:
  1. Supports all Xbox versions.
  2. Supports all currently exploitable games.
  3. Obviously runs unsigned code.
  4. Doesn't require a certain Microsoft Dashboard version.
  5. User friendly interface & installation.
  6. Read Me sections on all menus.
  7. Mandatory ShadowC partition.
  8. Increased ShadowC partition size. (485mb)
  9. Small footprint. *
  10. Virtual DVD drive enabled. **
  11. Forced progressive video. ie, 480p
  12. Repair missing dashboards, right from the Xbox.
  13. Extremely difficult to break the softmod.
NKPatcher Settings:
  1. Dashboard Settings. - Move, Backup & restore your dashboards.
  2. Change your fan speed. ***
  3. Change your LED colour. ***
  4. Change kernel fonts for compatibility.
  5. Change partition variations.
  6. Change video modes.
  7. Enable/disable virtual EEPROM.
2014 Softmod Kit Extras Disc:
  1. Install one of two Microsoft dashboards. ****
  2. Install alternative dashboards. *****
  3. Upgrade Older Softmods or restore to a fresh copy of my 2014 Softmod.
  4. Restore your Xbox to an un-softmodded state.

Note: 7-zip is required to extract 2014 Softmod Kit Extras Disc.zip

* info:
  1. * this allows the 485mb ShadowC partition
  1. ** load ISO files from the HDD
  1. *** not to be mistaken with the dashboard controls
  1. **** Official 5960 or my hacked 4920 version
  1. ***** EvolutionX, XBMC 3.3.3 Stable, XBMC 3.5 Beta4, XBMC4Kids & UnleashX
Extra info:
  1. You can also use the "2014 Softmod Kit Extras Disc" to upgrade my 2014 Softmod, if I ever need to release an update. (burn the new ISO & run the upgrade old softmods option)
    The latter requires no FTP access or knowledge on how to update softmods.
    I would suggest if ever updating your softmod via this method, that you backup your dashboard first using the NKPatcher Settings > Dashboards > Settings option.
Note:
  1. This softmod is not compatible with the HeXen disc or any of the other discs, if you want to change your dashboard you will need to FTP it over or use the 2014 Softmod Kit Extras Disc, this disc has been made specifically for this softmod.
Credits:
  1. I would like to thank the following, without there contributions to the Xbox scene we would not have what we have today.
  1. Original NKPatcher:
    1. Rmenhal without this guy we wouldn't have NKP or the advanced fonts we use today.
  1. NKPatcher Unofficial Edits:
    1. Xman954 & kingroach added some cracking features to NKPatcher.
  1. PBLoader - Metoo Edition:
    1. Team Phoenix, ldotsfan, & Rmenhal
  1. Team-HQ & Team Phoenix:
    1. For the original idea of using the BFM Bios to bypass the Shadow C Protection.
  1. EvolutionX Team:
    1. M8+ bios
  1. UnleashX:
    1. James for such an amazing dashboard, without his work on UnleashX there would be no Softmod installers as we know it.
  1. SPPV:
    1. For uploading the NKP11.u04 Source.
      http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic ... u04#p46574
  1. MS Source leak:
    1. & without this person we wouldn't have the bios files or NKPatchers we have today.

Preview videos. (these videos are of the old RC build, not the current final build)
Image Image Image
Last edited by Rocky5 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
davidthomas

Re: Need testers.

Post by davidthomas »

Pm sent. I will give it a go! I have lots of versions of the xbox.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

davidthomas wrote:Pm sent. I will give it a go! I have lots of versions of the xbox.
Sent you may want to redownload the Test Softmod Package.rar I updated it today.

I also added a video showing it working.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
miigotu

Post by miigotu »

After attempting to use this here is what I have found:

Configuration:
xbox 1.6 completely stock
Splinter Cell NTSC

First, a few suggestions.
1. Saves should be distributed in zip format, and inside a "UDATA" folder in the zip. ie: "UDATA//5553000c/8D5BCE250B35/*". This allows people using Action Replay to drag and drop the zip on the gui and add it to the memory card and AR PC Database. Also, zip is natively supported in Windows and requires no third party software, so maybe the entire thing should be zip as well.

2. MSDash_Disc.ISO should probably be given in a separate download, as many people might not need it and can save bandwidth.

3. Add some sort of checksum or file hash values for the archives, to verify proper downloads.

Finally, after trying multiple times with both Xplorer360 and Action Replay software, re-extracting, and even downloading a second time... I cant get my xbox to allow transferring the Softmod Save from the memory card to the Hard drive. Getting the saves onto the memory card were no big issue, transferring the Splinter Cell save to HDD was fine, but the Softmod Save fails between 33% and 50% every time.

Edit: Forgot to add I did verify there were enough blocks free on the HDD, and even deleted every save on it so I have around 50000 blocks free. Also Dash is version 5960.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

miigotu wrote:First, a few suggestions.
1. Saves should be distributed in zip format, and inside a "UDATA" folder in the zip. ie: "UDATA//5553000c/8D5BCE250B35/*". This allows people using Action Replay to drag and drop the zip on the gui and add it to the memory card and AR PC Database. Also, zip is natively supported in Windows and requires no third party software, so maybe the entire thing should be zip as well.
I can do that, I used rar because it give smaller sizes.
miigotu wrote:2. MSDash_Disc.ISO should probably be given in a separate download, as many people might not need it and can save bandwidth.
This will be separate, but for testing purposes I included it in the one file.
miigotu wrote:3. Add some sort of checksum or file hash values for the archives, to verify proper downloads.
I could do that but it wouldn't extract if was not downloaded correctly. But guess I could add an MD5 Hash for the download.
miigotu wrote:Finally, after trying multiple times with both Xplorer360 and Action Replay software, re-extracting, and even downloading a second time... I cant get my xbox to allow transferring the Softmod Save from the memory card to the Hard drive. Getting the saves onto the memory card were no big issue, transferring the Splinter Cell save to HDD was fine, but the Softmod Save fails between 33% and 50% every time.

Edit: Forgot to add I did verify there were enough blocks free on the HDD, and even deleted every save on it so I have around 50000 blocks free. Also Dash is version 5960.
I have not had this issue, transferring to & from the Memory card works fine for me, though my memory card is 16mb in size the softmod kit is actually smaller than 7mbs total.

What I will do is fix up the zips & move the Disc to its own download & you can try again.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
miigotu

Post by miigotu »

Rocky5 wrote: This will be separate, but for testing purposes I included it in the one file.
Thx, a smaller DL is easier to test a bunch of times faster.
Rocky5 wrote: I could do that but it wouldn't extract if was not downloaded correctly. But guess I could add an MD5 Hash for the download.
Correct, Zip and Rar both hash files and error check for you, if I remember correctly some older versions of windows tools that supported Rar had some fail error checking and would still extract under some circumstances.
Rocky5 wrote: I have not had this issue, transferring to & from the Memory card works fine for me, though my memory card is 16mb in size the softmod kit is actually smaller than 7mbs total.

What I will do is fix up the zips & move the Disc to its own download & you can try again.
I have discovered that the xbox controller that was in the closet with that xbox has a short in the cable which was causing the copy from MemCard->HDD :evil:
Sorry if I caused you any grief.

Now I have one thing that I noticed.
Other->MS Dashboard option fails, and is set in Config.xml to c:/xboxdash.xbe, although the only place I found xboxdash.xbe is in Files.rar->xboxdash.rar under the softmod save.
I suggest extracting it somewhere and pointing Config.xml to it, or backing up the users original xboxdash.xbe into the backup folder and pointing Config.xml to it there.
That path is also under Other->Settings->AutoLaunch->DVD Player
I'm not sure if there is even a reason to have the MS Dash accessible anyways, this dash manages saves, and it seems like all system settings. If so maybe it can just be removed from Confix.xml altogether?

Overall the softmod process works extremely smooth. I love that it forces EEPROM backup. Once MS Dash works, the savegame rars changed to zips with UDATA folders, and separate the iso from the softmod, you have an extremely polished release.

Any chance you plan on including anything else like xbmc4xbox?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

miigotu wrote:I have discovered that the xbox controller that was in the closet with that xbox has a short in the cable which was causing the copy from MemCard->HDD :evil:
Sorry if I caused you any grief.

Now I have one thing that I noticed.
Other->MS Dashboard option fails, and is set in Config.xml to c:/xboxdash.xbe, although the only place I found xboxdash.xbe is in Files.rar->xboxdash.rar under the softmod save.
I suggest extracting it somewhere and pointing Config.xml to it, or backing up the users original xboxdash.xbe into the backup folder and pointing Config.xml to it there.
That path is also under Other->Settings->AutoLaunch->DVD Player
I'm not sure if there is even a reason to have the MS Dash accessible anyways, this dash manages saves, and it seems like all system settings. If so maybe it can just be removed from Confix.xml altogether?

Overall the softmod process works extremely smooth. I love that it forces EEPROM backup. Once MS Dash works, the savegame rars changed to zips with UDATA folders, and separate the iso from the softmod, you have an extremely polished release.

Any chance you plan on including anything else like xbmc4xbox?
I have fixed that, by default its not there until you install one of the MS Dashboards from the Extras Disc.

I'm currently just testing the disc iso right now, it's working great so far, fixed most issues & added stuff. So have to zip it up & upload it to dropbox & were good to go.

& thank you for the praise.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
weinerschnitzel

Post by weinerschnitzel »

You shared interest in ISO support and force 480p. Are you planning on implementing these?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

weinerschnitzel wrote:You shared interest in ISO support and force 480p. Are you planning on implementing these?
There part of NKPatcher so yes, force progressive is disabled by default, but it's easy to enable.

OK, I'm now finished doing the 2014 Softmod< I have tested it as much as I can do on 3 Xboxs v1.1 & 2 v1.6 xbox & everything works great.

But I'm askin for a few more testers to test out the release build, as a lot has changed since the release candidate & the videos above :shock: if everything goes swimmingly then I will release it to the public.

I have tested the softmod package with 007 & splinter cell, I do not own MechAssault so even if someone could test that for me, that would be great.

Give me a PM if you're interested.

There are two files, the main softmod package just under 5mb & the extras disc which is 119mb compressed, the disc is used to install MS dashboards, Alternative dashboards (XBMC 3.3.3 & Beta 4, EvolutionX), upgrade older softmods to my new one & restore the xbox to stock state. (the last 2 are for advanced users)

OK here is an Open RC If you want to try it you can, just let me know how you got on.

2014 Softmod Kit
2014 Softmod kit Extras Disc

If people test this & report back I will upload it like I stated above.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
xbmcstedt

Post by xbmcstedt »

I have a few boxes in need of a refresh but I don't think I'll have time for testing for a few days. I'll give this a look over and see what I can do.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

xbmcstedt wrote:I have a few boxes in need of a refresh but I don't think I'll have time for testing for a few days. I'll give this a look over and see what I can do.
Thank you.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
cifa

Post by cifa »

wow! looks great. i have downloaded but doubt I will get an the opportunity to test any-time soon.
Seems great work - if I test I will feedback ;)

cheers
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

You may want to consider giving cred to Team-HQ and Team Phoneix for the Shadow C unmount and also consider moving to the back door method for unmount as the PBL only works via disc and some may need to unmount via HDD. Or consider using SC Security which covers both methods so people arent left out in the cold. Both methods are only a few KB so wont push your filesize beyond a 8MB mem card, the other thing check your XTras PMs I sent you the exe for 11.05u so you can enable HD outa the gate and will still work fine for SD users.
weinerschnitzel wrote:You shared interest in ISO support and force 480p. Are you planning on implementing these?
That was for TSOP/Chip when I was asking what people want in a mod. Softmod has had it for eons. Hard is a little harder no pun intended. SRC is very scarce so its a waiting game until anybody could add it to a BIOS
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

SPPV wrote:You may want to consider giving cred to Team-HQ and Team Phoneix for the Shadow C unmount
I use PBL - The Metoo Edition, I cannot solely credit Team Phoenix, since its a unofficial release & was based off there v1.3 source I dont know who made the Metoo Edition (unless it was Metoo) & the M8+ bios is from the EvolutionX team. M8+ came with the metoo edition, so not sure why I need to credit Team-HQ for the C unmount?, you however will be credited for giving the public the NKP11.u04 source.
SPPV wrote:also consider moving to the back door method for unmount as the PBL only works via disc and some may need to unmount via HDD. Or consider using SC Security which covers both methods so people arent left out in the cold. Both methods are only a few KB so wont push your filesize beyond a 8MB mem card.
What back door? I did use NKPatcher to disable the shadowc partition, but if 480p video mode was forced NKPatcher refused to load over itself & you would get a black screen crash. So I had no choice but to go to PBL I even looked into the disc image utility source (shadowCmaker) as I did not originally want to use PBL since it adds bulk, also I don't get what you mean PBL only works from disc? I don't unload the ShadowC via disc, it's all done on the HDD using PBL.

Also this softmod is not made to have its ShadowC unmounted & I dont give the end user a choice to have it unmounted or the tools to do so.
(Advanced users can use the NKpatcher Config.bin route, if they want to change it drastically)

Note:
I can access it when needed but the end user can't from the Xbox, so if they break this softmod they have deliberately went out of there way to do so. (there are only two ways of breaking this softmod, via a disc that disables the VC or via FTP when in NKPatcher Settings & deleting files out of C:\)

Edit:
I added a Credits.txt to the download above & to post 1, crediting the folk I think need it.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

I said credit Team-Hq and Phoneix because they were the ones who came up with using PBL to bypass the Shadow C until that point a secondary mod had to be installed (UXE) to bypass the shadow c which was very cumbersome. It was first introduced on SID4 and XMAN followed that line when he added the back door to 11.04. As for the Metoo edition that was Team Phoneix, ldotsfan and Rmenhal that made it
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

SPPV wrote:I said credit Team-Hq and Phoneix because they were the ones who came up with using PBL to bypass the Shadow C until that point a secondary mod had to be installed (UXE) to bypass the shadow c which was very cumbersome. It was first introduced on SID4
OK, you know what, I thought about it & I will credit your team, for the original idea.
I have something's in my softmod no one else does & if people used these, I wouldn't mind a mention.
So no hard feeling.
SPPV wrote:XMAN followed that line when he added the back door to 11.04.
I assume your talking about the ShadowC_off.bin file? if so, this is of no use to me as it would require UnleashX for it to function cleanly. (copying files, rebooting & then cleaning files up)
SPPV wrote: As for the Metoo edition that was Team Phoneix, ldotsfan and Rmenhal that made it
Thank you, I will update the Credits.txt
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

While I was a member of Team-HQ the PBL shadowC unmount was before my time lol I joined during SID5. As for the backdoor its not shadowc_off.bin as you want to keep things locked down all I will say is look into V drive and Recovery Partition.bin. And I will also say as you want things to be secure dont use runtime configs in any of your releases thats one of the easiest ways to co-opt a softmod. I only glanced at your files didnt do an in depth look or an install so you may have already realized what Im talking about with runtime. The only other thing I can suggest to you to help you keep your mod secure is consider moving the true boot partition from R to V so XBMC cant bypass it
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

SPPV wrote:While I was a member of Team-HQ the PBL shadowC unmount was before my time lol I joined during SID5. As for the backdoor its not shadowc_off.bin as you want to keep things locked down all I will say is look into V drive and Recovery Partition.bin. And I will also say as you want things to be secure dont use runtime configs in any of your releases thats one of the easiest ways to co-opt a softmod. I only glanced at your files didnt do an in depth look or an install so you may have already realized what Im talking about with runtime. The only other thing I can suggest to you to help you keep your mod secure is consider moving the true boot partition from R to V so XBMC cant bypass it
Ah I dont allow users to load runtime configs, I did allow for them to load the override config.bin but I changed that to be the same as the rest.

Also V Drive & Recovery Partition.bin I cant find anything about these or anything in the NKP11.u04 source.

I do however get an error compiling the source if (even the original download has this issue, my edits haven't affected it) )%define CD_DVD_ALWAYS_ROE is enabled, disable it no error. Not sure if this error will affect anything since I haven't come across any issues.

Error: nkpatcher.asm:1615: warning: (CHECK_SPACE:2) LDR1 space overrun with kernel 3944!
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

You have to create V drive on partition 1. The recovery partition.bin is in XDK. To comply with XS rule of nothing XDK being hosted they didnt include it but the code to utilize it is in NKP
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

SPPV wrote:You have to create V drive on partition 1. The recovery partition.bin is in XDK. To comply with XS rule of nothing XDK being hosted they didnt include it but the code to utilize it is in NKP
OK I can't work out how to get this working.

I have tried everything & nothing changes. ie, made NKPatcher look for the C drive in E (error 21), made NKpatcher look for C in C but loaded from E (worked but no change) even created a folder call V drive in E:\ (again didn't work)

as for the recover partition.bin I cannot find anything in the XDK about this, even looked in the recovery disc. (So I just used yours for testing)

I even downloaded Babylon2 & softmodded my test box & nothing on that either, XBMC can still see the R partition & there is no V drive or recover partition.bin installed. (its located on the root of the disc)

So I haven't a clue on who you get it working & I have been through the NKP source & cannot find anything that would suggest it loads a bin from C or looks for an image or specific folder on E.

So as of right now I have reverted to using a folder called "Dont touch anything in here" thats created in C:\ so if a user ventures into R:\ they will see this & if they break it its there own fault.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5