Hard modded xbox upgrade hard drive to 2tb

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xman

Re: Hard modded xbox upgrade hard drive to 2tb

Post by xman »

By the way, when you refomat after Slayer's has done the original build for you, you only need to "recluster" the F and G drives. All the rest of the drives you leave exactly as Slayer did. They are all done correctly with Slayers and you are using XbPartitioner to do F and G, not Slayers again for this job. Slayer's custers the F drive at 16k and your G drive at 32k which need to be changed using XbPT to make them both 64k.
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

Well because of xman I looked into the breakdown of the 2tb hard drive very strange numbers and I think I am screwed here these numbers are a total format nothing in them:

C:\ 524mb (524.189.696)
E:\ 5gb (5.116.723.200)
F:\ 129gb (129.403.191.296)
G:\ 862gb (862.505.119.744)
x:\ 786mb (786.300.928)
Y:\ 786mb
z:\ 786mb

It's only showing 1TB and xbpartioner can't be used due to the chip error. Maybe I should just put this hard drive in a soft modded Xbox not hard modded.
xman

Post by xman »

This is what you "should get" after using Slayers but before you use XbPartitioner....

Note how Slayers creates the F drive at 120.5Gb and G drive has the rest which is 1.69Tb.

This is what you should get with a 1Tb HDD..This is using the EvoXDash's filemanager but the size is the same. Again this is before using XbPartitioner so the cluster size of F would work but G definitely wouldn't.

This is what you will get on a 2Tb once it is formatted correctly with twin equal F and G partitions set at 64k clusters...

Note, F and G drives both have 927.7Gb. That is what you have left once you re-clustered at the required 64k.
Also note the sizes of C and E drives. These can not be changed at all so don't try or the machine won't work. These sizes are set in stone.

By the way, stick with this, you will get it. It took me weeks to sort this shit out and it was at a time when no one had done 2Tbs or at least wasn't saying . :lol:
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

xman thanks for the encouragement and I want the 2TB to work, here is the thing I am ready to quit on:

1. This stupid chip is preventing me from do anything.
2. Can't get XBMC to be the default no matter what I do (I did get it once by tricking the xbox but now I can't do again)
3. When I did get XBMC xbpartitioner didn't work with the chip, got an error, so I am afraid partiitoner wont work again if I can get XBMC to work.
4. Slayers 2.7 when I just do a "new refresh install it always adds all Apps and XBMC in F:\ and when I say make XBMC my dash it reformts C:\ and E:\ again but doesn't work goes back to slayers dash.

Maybe I should use another Slayer, this chip is causing all my trobules. I bought this xbox used and no instruction on the chip or CD maybe I need to flash this thing and if I kill it so be it. I know ISOzone has the SmartXX program but the chip needs to be step up the right way and i don't know if the chip is step up right now.

I have soft modded a few xboxs granted with smaller hard drives and never had this kind of trouble, can't get XBMC the dash really??????

Sorry for the rant just want to throw this chip out the window, besides the chip seems to not brick the xbox no matter what mistakes I do is it really worth all this work?
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

xman I posted this over at The ISO Zone to see if there was anything else, someone over there said my bios will not do a custom partition that is why my xbox froze on me when I did try to do xBpartition.

Also he said the 2TB can't work with my bios (which I assume he means the SmartXX chip)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Jerry98vert wrote:xman I posted this over at The ISO Zone to see if there was anything else, someone over there said my bios will not do a custom partition that is why my xbox froze on me when I did try to do xBpartition.

Also he said the 2TB can't work with my bios (which I assume he means the SmartXX chip)
No I meant the bios that's flashed to the chip, you need to update it.

Ind-Bios 5003 or the Ind-Bios 5004, known as iND-BiOS.Beta.Feb-11-05, fixes the shutdown button error & x2 5035 bios support custom partition tables.

If you have an old obsolete bios, it doesn't support the sector 0 partition table, it reverts to the LBA48 hack & that only supports 137Gb on F & the rest on G. (or all on F)

Update:

Read you post near to bottom on page 1.

X2 4983.67 bios, is 6+7 hard coded partition table (LBA48 hack) F takes 137GB G takes the rest. It's not a custom partition table compliant bios, so UnleashX and Evox can format these partitions. (but they use the wrong cluster size :()

X2 5027 (internal beta) was the first x2 bios to support the custom partition table.

Also, NKPatcher supports custom partition tables, so softmodding works with XBPartitioner. (NKP11.u04 well in the source it says it does, also all softmods bar mine & SID5 use NKP11.u04)

So hopefully this solves your issue.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

Rocky5 wrote:
Jerry98vert wrote:xman I posted this over at The ISO Zone to see if there was anything else, someone over there said my bios will not do a custom partition that is why my xbox froze on me when I did try to do xBpartition.

No I meant the bios that's flashed to the chip, you need to update it.

Ind-Bios 5003 or the Ind-Bios 5004, known as iND-BiOS.Beta.Feb-11-05, fixes the shutdown button error & x2 5035 bios support custom partition tables.

If you have an old obsolete bios, it doesn't support the sector 0 partition table, it reverts to the LBA48 hack & that only supports 137Gb on F & the rest on G. (or all on F)

Update:

Read you post near to bottom on page 1.

X2 4983.67 bios, is 6+7 hard coded partition table (LBA48 hack) F takes 137GB G takes the rest. It's not a custom partition table compliant bios, so UnleashX and Evox can format these partitions. (but they use the wrong cluster size :()

X2 5027 (internal beta) was the first x2 bios to support the custom partition table.

Also, NKPatcher supports custom partition tables, so softmodding works with XBPartitioner. (NKP11.u04 well in the source it says it does, also all softmods bar mine & SID5 use NKP11.u04)

So hopefully this solves your issue.
Wow thanks you guys way way smarter then me, yes when I did the XBPartition that is the exact error I got LBA48. So next I need to figure out:

1. I need to figure out how to update my bios
2. And hope I can get XBMC as my default dash

If I can get these 2 things done I am good. But maybe I should do this 2TB on a soft mod vs. a hard mod since I am so stupid with all of this?
xman

Post by xman »

Well I only use M8 bioses myself but I also use Aladdin modchips. I saying that I have used other chips as well it's just that I really can't see the sense of a complex chip solely to boot an M8 bios or any bios for that matter. As for the bioses, I actually use the ones on that very same Slayer's disc you are using. They are not M8+ but rather the original M8, one for the early 1.0-1.5 machines and the other for the 1.6 machines. i find they boot faster than the M8+ and I have no issues at all with them on 1 and 2Tb sata HDDs. Seeing as your chip has positions for multiple bioses, the only thing I actually thought was good about the chips like that, and set it to use another bios like the one I suggested?. I think if it's like an X3 you set the switch on the panel once the machine has booted and re=flash the new position after setting the switch. EvoXDash was the app I use for flashing chips but you need the one that has the "Utilities feature. The one on Slayer 2.7 does not have this. I got my "Full" copy of EvoXDash from Eurasia.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Jerry98vert wrote:Wow thanks you guys way way smarter then me, yes when I did the XBPartition that is the exact error I got LBA48. So next I need to figure out:

1. I need to figure out how to update my bios
2. And hope I can get XBMC as my default dash

If I can get these 2 things done I am good. But maybe I should do this 2TB on a soft mod vs. a hard mod since I am so stupid with all of this?
Here you go, how to update your chip bios.
http://halloween.xavbox.com/english/fla ... artxx.php3

You may also want to get the latest OS for it.
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... pdate-kit/
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

Thanks once again xman and Rocky5, there is no front panel on my xbox it's just a chip inside and it is running X2 as of now. I will check out the web site on how to update the bios and I did see The ISO Zone's SmartXX so I will update and will let you now the results.
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

So I flashed the SmartXX chip updated all the stuff and now all my banks are empty can't get to the dvd drive cant get to the hard drive I did copy the old HDD to the new but anything I do just goes to the SmartXX menu I don't know how to tell the SmartXX bios to find XBMC in E: or boot to C:\ or boot to dvd.

I put in the old hard drive to get into msdash it doesn't even say excalibur 2 anymore it just says Microsoft so I lost that also
no fun