Solved - Bought a used Xbox with SmartXX LT OPX

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Jerry98vert

Solved - Bought a used Xbox with SmartXX LT OPX

Post by Jerry98vert »

So I just bought a used xbox and I started it up from the power button and Smartxx menu came up so is this some kind of super xbox or something?????
Here are a couple of things I don’t know about:

Hitting power on the xbox comes with this menu:

Original Bios
X2 4983.67 – just goes to XBMC
Free – goes to XBMC
Cromwell 2.40
Linus
Reboot
Shutdown
Config

So what can I do with this I can’t find any “How To”.

Now hitting the eject I get a very odd and old XBMC there are some categories that a so different like Xlink Kai so sort of gaming on line I think also there is a SmartXX portion in XBMC like LCD Type, Mode, Columns, Row and so on. Also XBMC in installed in C:\

Well I want to change to the new XBMC and in UnleashX I renamed in C:\old_xbmc and ftp’d the new XBMC in C:\............well epic fail red message on screen on skin something like that so I, thank god, ftp’d back in and undid and it went back to the original state with of course the old XBMC. So I found this on line to change check it out:

So how to update xbmc?
Well, I mainly followed the online manual. I had a 1.x version installed that booted on C:\evoxdash.xbe and used the xboxmediacenter.xml (which refered to the application folder C:\xbmc).
So I uploaded the new xbmc to F:\Apps\xbmc2
Dropped the included .xbe and .cfg on C:\ and renamed them to xbmc2.xbe/.cfg
Changed the path in the xbmc2.cfg to F:\Apps\xbmc2\default.xbe
Tested them by starting the xbmc2.xbe from my old media centers file manager
When everything started OK I made a backup of the old evoxdash.xbe
And then renamed my new xbmc2.xbe/.cfg to evoxdash.xbe/.cfg
Now the xbox boots to my new media center (and the old installation is still there as a backup...)
Actually it boots to xbmc when pressing the eject button. When pressing the power button the original xbox dash is booted (C:\xboxdash.xbe). This is configurable on the SmartXX chip! (To boot to SmartXX OS just press first power then eject!)

I don’t know if this will work don’t want to brick the xbox or if there is any easier way.

Thanks.
Last edited by Jerry98vert on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidthomas

Re: Bought a used Xbox with SmartXX LT OPX

Post by davidthomas »

How are you sure it is a LT OPX model? There was like 8 different models of the smartxx chip. Did you open it to confirm that it is that chip? There is also 2 model of the LT OPX. The original LT OPX has 1MB flash and the LT OPX SE has a 2MB flash bank.
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

Yes I opened it up and saw the chip as far as which one how can I tell which version?
blighty

Post by blighty »

davidthomas wrote: The original LT OPX has 1MB flash and the LT OPX SE has a 2MB flash bank.
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

Ok I have the 1mb but what does this all mean I can't find much over the internet about what I can do with this and I have a very old XBMC with some SmartXX menus and I don't have the disk for the chip so can I upgrade to the new XBMC without the SmartXX menu parts or what is my options.

thanks
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Jerry98vert wrote:Ok I have the 1mb but what does this all mean I can't find much over the internet about what I can do with this and I have a very old XBMC with some SmartXX menus and I don't have the disk for the chip so can I upgrade to the new XBMC without the SmartXX menu parts or what is my options.
Wow, did you really say all that without drawing breath, or asking a question? :shock:
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

hahahaha no breathing here.
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

I am at my wits end here.

I tried to rename the current XBMC in C:\ to old and put in the new XBMC didn't work.

I noticed there was some extra files in the current XBMC like:
XboxMediaCenter.xml
kai-vectors.xml
FileZilla Server.xml

So I put those files in the new XBMC nope fail.

What about if I try the Splinter CEll route????? I am afraid that 2 XBMC will not work somehow the original in C:\ just can't seem to remove to upgrade.

anybody????? Thanks for any input..
Jerry98vert

Post by Jerry98vert »

Somebody please look at the attached link and help me get my XBMC updated from the old c:\ to the new E:\ .

I don't know which one will work maybe someone here has done this.

thanks.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Installing_XBMC
Jerry98vert

Re: Solved - Bought a used Xbox with SmartXX LT OPX

Post by Jerry98vert »

So I followed the instructions below I downloaded a new default.xbe file renamed to xbmc2.xbe and in notepad created a .cfg file with the extension to f:\apps and renamed both evoxdash.xbe and evoxdash.cfg and it worked.

Well, I mainly followed the online manual. I had a 1.x version installed that booted on C:\evoxdash.xbe and used the xboxmediacenter.xml (which refered to the application folder C:\xbmc).
So I uploaded the new xbmc to F:\Apps\xbmc2
Dropped the included .xbe and .cfg on C:\ and renamed them to xbmc2.xbe/.cfg
Changed the path in the xbmc2.cfg to F:\Apps\xbmc2\default.xbe
Tested them by starting the xbmc2.xbe from my old media centers file manager
When everything started OK I made a backup of the old evoxdash.xbe
And then renamed my new xbmc2.xbe/.cfg to evoxdash.xbe/.cfg
Now the xbox boots to my new media center (and the old installation is still there as a backup...)
Actually it boots to xbmc when pressing the eject button. When pressing the power button the original xbox dash is booted (C:\xboxdash.xbe). This is configurable on the SmartXX chip! (To boot to SmartXX OS just press first power then eject!)