Component mod help

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
kenzo42

Component mod help

Post by kenzo42 »

If I want my xbox to only do the "High Def A/V" with NO optical or coaxial (I just want component), do I still need the switches?

What are the multiple switches for anyways?

spicemuseum

Re: Component mod help

Post by spicemuseum »

kenzo42 wrote:If I want my xbox to only do the "High Def A/V" with NO optical or coaxial (I just want component), do I still need the switches?
No, you just need a component cable.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/KMD-Xbox-Komodo-H ... B002ZFYNII

Many and various threads about component cables in this forum. Have a search.
kenzo42

Post by kenzo42 »

Can you explain what the switches are for?
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

The switches are because you have to select your output. The xbox is unable to auto select like it can with the wires hooked up like normal.

I honestly would just buy the Component cables and be done with it. If you really feel like you have to install Component ports though, have fun with that and good luck.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
kenzo42

Post by kenzo42 »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:The switches are because you have to select your output. The xbox is unable to auto select like it can with the wires hooked up like normal.

I honestly would just buy the Component cables and be done with it. If you really feel like you have to install Component ports though, have fun with that and good luck.
Don't you have to install component ports though to get 720p?

Or are you saying just buy the Microsoft HD AV pack off ebay?

I was trying to avoid buying the Microsoft HD AV pack to save a few bucks.
asbo

Post by asbo »

kenzo42 wrote: Don't you have to install component ports though to get 720p?

Any set of component cables will let you output 720p after enabling it in xbmc, you don't have to solder a thing.
Personally I use these and they work great, although I think others have had issues with ghosting etc on cheap cables, presumably this is because they are running them next to power cables etc as I've had no problems :)
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

kenzo42 wrote:
mrmajikbus45 wrote:The switches are because you have to select your output. The xbox is unable to auto select like it can with the wires hooked up like normal.

Don't you have to install component ports though to get 720p?

If you want to build your own component cable, or physically mod your box with component ports, you've found the right schematic to do that, but most people just buy a component cable and change the config of their box to output 720p. As I and ASBO have pointed out, they're not expensive, but if you're a hobbyist you may want to build your own special cable.

You 'sound' American, so (leap of logic) I expect your box is already NTSC, thus you won't need to go through the extra step of changing the set-up PAL -> NTSC using the Enigmah tool in order to access the hi-def modes.
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

Are the switches like actual switches or are they realays or transistors.
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

xboxprince wrote:Are the switches like actual switches.
In the schematics posted by kenzo? Yes.
xman

Post by xman »

There not switches in the component lead set, it just has a "links" in the lead set so when the lead set is plugged in it automatically makes the link. The links iare there so it can tell the chip what style video to output. No links in the lead set, (or hardwired on the socket or chip), default will output from the chip which is composite. Put links in and component is outputted. It's an excellent setup that Sega originally come up with which enabled lead makers to control the video rather than needing for the owner to adjust anything. There are 2 links for the video and one for the audio. Just bear in mind the links are useless on there own. The video cables need to be in the right place as well. This means simply putting in the links but still keep the composite leads set will not work however, if you move the old leads used in the composite lead set to the places required for the component video and put the links in, you have just converted an old composite lead set to a component set.
kenzo42

Post by kenzo42 »

Great post Xman.

In the "High Def A/V" I want to delete "Coaxial and Optical" (and just use component for video+ red/white for sound). Can the two switches be deleted since I'm assuming they're links? Or are you saying the "2" and "3" pictured are links?

Sorry, I'm still not 100% clear on how to set this up when deleting Coax and Optical.

Thanks!
xman

Post by xman »

Yep, 2 and 3 are links. To make the links just solder a wire between terminals 11 and 12 and another link wire between terminals 13 and 14. These are actually how they are linked in the component lead set but they are inside the connector so you can't actually see them unless you pull apart the connector that plugs in the machine. :D Don't worry about your audio because your red and white sound is present in all modes anyway as stated in the "Audio Notes".
kenzo42

Post by kenzo42 »

I'll just short 11+12, 13+14 with a piece of wire and I should be good.

Thanks XMAN!
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay. I have already got my stock Compositse cable modded for component. Now i would like to get coaxial audio out. I am using this diagram: http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm
I am pretty sure the positive of the Coax cable gets connected to the S/PDIF pin in the diagram. I cannot figure out where the digital audio GND is. Any tips?
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

If you want to build your cable this is the pinout.
The conector is seen from the front with the cable in the back.

(dont forget to solder pin 6 to 18 and pin 7 to 19)
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

That is not what i am asking. I already have a component cable. I would simply like to know how to connect coaxial (DIGITAL) audio using the diagram i listed above.
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
asbo

Post by asbo »

TheGeekoid wrote:I am pretty sure the positive of the Coax cable gets connected to the S/PDIF pin in the diagram.
I agree
TheGeekoid wrote:I cannot figure out where the digital audio GND is.
As far as I know they are all the same and everything on the xbox that is GND is all linked together and the same. Easy way to check is grab a multimeter and measure resistance between ground pins. If you haven't got a multimeter then put one on your birthday or Christmas list, I think I got my first one when I was around 12 :)
xman

Post by xman »

Ground from the coax goes to pin 24...The Plus or + goes to pin 6. Use the diagram from kenzo42. That is the only one you should need. It is complete and correct.
blighty

Post by blighty »

I want to take my pins 21 + 23 and kick them around my driveway!
catch_2030

Post by catch_2030 »

Sorry to bump this thread but this is exactly the thread I was looking for! (basically I'm commenting so I dont forget haha). Anyhow, I am going to be doing this mod for an Xbox I am building for a guy (jacks on the back). However I want him to have the option to use composite output as well in case he ever takes it somewhere and the people there only have a TV with composite or if his HD TV dies and he has to use a free CRT till he has the money, basically as a backup for him.

Now I understand that you need to "jump" point 13 to 14 and point 11 to 12 to have HD AV enabled. To have just standard AV I would need to have 9 and 10 "jumped". My issue is, I need a way to switch when mode 1 only is enabled and a way where only modes 2+3 is enabled. Would taking 3 switches for each mode and making it so each mode can be turned on or off independent of each other work? If so, what type of switches would I need and how would I wire them?

Thanks for any help. I wasnt getting the answers I needed on TIZ and was super happy to see this thread here :)