Component mod help

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
professor_jonny

Re: Component mod help

Post by professor_jonny »

when I get some spare time from work and stop pushing money in my pit in the garage I will have some spare time and cash and I will hopefully get this all made up to flick off to the masses.

It will basically do what you want with a easy quick solder board.

It works and all it has all been tested you could build it if you want all pcb files and program parts list and installation manual are freely available :-)

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=3644
catch_2030

Post by catch_2030 »

I had actually been looking at that thread as well. Very nice work! Maybe eventually I'll do that, but I have everything I need now minus the switches (if my idea works of course). I wish I would have paid better attention in electronics class now!

EDIT: Okay so I got to thinking and I think I have it figured out (keyword is think). I need 3 SPST ON/OFF switches. One point to one pole and one switch to another. When in the off position, they should not be "linked" correct? This would mean that mode is disabled. Now when I turn the switch to the on position, they should be linked or enabled. I think I got it now.
asbo

Post by asbo »

I think the way I'd do it is cut the connector off a set of xbox A/V cables and install the switches into that. That way you can just unplug the connector module and plug in any set of A/V cables if you needed too, without having to worry about which setting the switches are on.
Alternatively you could have multiple connectors(cut from xbox A/V cables), with the links in place for composite, component etc, and simply switch between them to change modes.
MrWedders

Post by MrWedders »

In my current plaything I've got YPbPr, stereo audio, coax and composite on the console with one switch to toggle Advanced AV (mode 2) and HD (mode 3) - which basically just toggles the composite and YPbPr, coax and stereo audio work in both modes. I've bridged the pins of the second switch in the diagram (pin 11 and 12), and use the switch to pull either pin 9 or pin 13 to ground for Advanced AV or HD. You don't need to touch their respective sister pins 10 and 14, with a multimeter you can see they just go straight to the system ground.

I've actually just resoldered all my connections to the motherboard with shielded wire and mucked something up that I haven't had time to diagnose yet (possibly because I got cocky and tried to pull all the RCA jacks to a common ground too...), but I had it working lovely a couple of weeks ago just with a little bit of snowyness from cruddy wire.

Some photos of the glorious time when it worked can be found in this imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/jtI2o

The solder photo with many wires is only the AV lines, you can see the bare midsection which are the mode selector pins. The solder photo with less wires is my resolder with everything, except with no ground lines as stated previously - AV connections are big thick black wires, you can see the bridge on pins 11 and 12, and the green wires run off to the switch. Apologies it's not that well done, I was rushing it haha, basically pulled most of the previous connections off. Oh, and the photo of the rear was taken right after I finished dremeling the holes and popped all the connectors in to see what it looked like, hence the dust everywhere and general sloppyness. Yes, the blue RCA is wonky in the photo, but isn't anymore.

The silver switch in line with the connectors is the AV mode selector, you can probably see the hookups in some of the shots, but I pull +5v, +3.3v and Ground from the motherboard PSU connector and hook them up to a breakout board, and the common pin of the switch is connected to ground there with a trailing wire, and the other switch pins are pins 9 and 13 on the AV.