change x3 control panel protect led

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
sixties keith

change x3 control panel protect led

Post by sixties keith »

My x3 xbox with the lcd screen and bank switches has a protect feature when when on is green and off is red. long story short my xbox color scheme is neon blue so this stands out like a sore thumb.

So can the led be changed? from what i see they seem to be led's on the board as apposed to an exposed led which simply could be changed.

Has anyone attempted this before? i don't want to damage anything,, but im going to change the front ring so thought i may as well do it when i have it already apart.

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
asbo

Re: change x3 control panel protect led

Post by asbo »

I've never seen an x3 control panel so I can't be sure, but they're probably SMD LEDs, they sit on the PCB rather than go through holes in it. You can replace SMD components but it is very tricky, you need a steady hand and a keen eye.
If you post a picture we can be sure.
xman

Post by xman »

Yep it is a surface mount LED. Easy to change. Put a real thin screw driver like a jeweler's screw driver under the center of the LED, hit one end where it is soldered with your hot soldering iron and "gently" lift to raise the melted end and then do the same the other end. Just make sure you note which way it is mounted first and re-solder the blue one the same way. ( There are directional). Solder the new one in the wrong way and it won't work. The LED will have a mark to indicate which way it goes like a small line at one end or something. Make sure this mark is the same way as the one you removed and it should be an easy change over. ;)
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

ok thanks guys for the quick reply.

as i thought looking under the button they are indeed surface mounted led's so hopefully wont be really hard to change. Have had a quick look around local shops round here but there's only standard led's on offer around here so i'll have to find them on the internet somewhere.

If i cant find them ill just remove the led's and leave it as that but hopefully i can find a few and giv it a go.

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

You can easily find them on eBay I think.