Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
spicemuseum

Re: Service code 06. Everyone LOVES this error. Gahhhh!

Post by spicemuseum »

Irondrgntp wrote:
spicemuseum wrote:
Irondrgntp wrote:... and I have my XboxHDM ready to go. So what do I do next?
Have you got a PC with an IDE port on the motherboard? That's what you need to use XBOXHDM.
Yes sir. I have replied with updates to my endeavors......

I do have and IDE cable/port and have been using it.
As you can see I have attempted to 'unlock/rebuild/re-lock'.... but instead of going through the entire process in time.. the Xbox shuts off soon before I can do all three. In this case, I suppose the power cycle messes up the entire process. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to keep the box from timing out and shutting down *after all it's just sitting on the service error screen why wouldnt it time out*
AND THEN maybe it will properly unlock and lock after rebuild is complete...

PS: In the lock/unlock screen of XboxHDM it shows the security lock, hdd lock ... enable/disabled blahhhh etc..... WHAT exactly am I suppose to look for?
Okay cool. Don't worry about your locked disc, in fact I suggest you chuck it away - it's confusing matters.

If you have your eeprom.bin file recovered from your motherboard, you can put that in the eeprom folder of XBOXHDM and use it to lock a new disc after you've built it. This will lock it to the motherboard from which the eeprom.bin file was recovered.

So the process is:
- Add eeprom.bin to your XBOXHDM, and build it into an iso (blow it to a CD/DVD or copy onto a USB stick)
- Attach new HDD to your PC.
- Boot the PC with XBOXHDM iso you just made
- choose the option to build new HDD (and watch it get built)
- reboot PC back into XBOXHDM and choose the option to lock the HDD
- switch off PC, remove HDD and put it back into XBOX
- switch on XBOX and enjoy fruit of labour.
Irondrgntp

Post by Irondrgntp »

psyko_chewbacca wrote:
Irondrgntp wrote:I compared the serial number on the bottom sticker of the XBOX to the backup TXT file which was created FROM the eeprom.bin file that I attempted to use. I guess this is why it didn't work.
What are you saying here? The serial in the eeprom TXT file doesn't match the serial on your Xbox's case?

Yes, I mean the eeprom must have been the 'fake' one generated by the softmod years ago.
BUT SOMEONE please explain why .. if the eeprom file was incorrect... how was it allowing me to allegedly UNLOCK LOCK and actually REBUILD......???? NOT saying it was properly done or actually happened even though the commands were "SUCCESFUL." thank you all.
Probably that's because your HDD was locked with the HDD key/password contained in this eeprom.bin dump file; which is not the same that is currently stored in the eeprom chip on your Xbox motherboard. With the eeprom.bin file, XboxHDM can play with this HDD just fine since both the locked HDD and the eeprom.bin contain a matching key/password.

What I also don't understand is that you seem to be powering your HDD from the Xbox itself while using XboxHDM. This technique is only useful if your Xbox can already succesfully unlock your HDD; which is not your case. Hotswapping is only useful to let the Xbox unlock the HDD and then access its content using XboxHDM. If your Xbox cannot unlock the HDD in the first place, what's the point? In short, hotswap only if your Xbox can successfully boot to a working state. In your case it's useless. Power the HDD straight from your computer.

Hmm, I almost fully understand the concept. So, you mean a hotswap would be for say, a forced error by disconnecting the IDE DVD cable -- unlocks -- and then what ever else like ... building, exploring, or locking (assuming you have the correct eeprom. Obviously I have no real eeprom backup so this would not apply....

So, assuming you don't have the eeprom.bin file matching your Xbox motheboard, you'll need to either get a modchip or extract the content of the eeprom chip using an eeprom reader. Once done, use XboxHDM with the eeprom.bin file you found (that seem to be able to unlock/lock/rebuild your HDD right now) and unlock your HDD. After the drive is sucessfully unlocked (XboxHDM should be able to tell you the lock state of your HDD, if not put it back in your Xbox and you should get an error code 07 instead), lock your HDD using XboxHDM with the freshly dumped eeprom.bin file from your eeprom reader. The Xbox should then be able to unlock the drive by itself.
I just ordered an eeprom reader, rather than taking the chances of screwing up and wasting money and materials. When I receive the reader, I'm going to do exactly what you said and use the NEW, real eeprom bin file to lock the HDD to the Mobo AFTER I rebuild it (first unlocking with OLD eeprom.bin..... is this all correct and making sense?

SPICEMUSEUM>>>

""""" Okay cool. Don't worry about your locked disc, in fact I suggest you chuck it away - it's confusing matters.

If you have your eeprom.bin file recovered from your motherboard, you can put that in the eeprom folder of XBOXHDM and use it to lock a new disc after you've built it. This will lock it to the motherboard from which the eeprom.bin file was recovered. """"""

Now you're saying to use a NEW HDD.... one question though. Wouldn't the new HDD be locked and then I wouldn't be able to UNLOCK it before I rebuild? UNLESS you mean a NON-XBOX HDD?????

Thank you all...
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

If it helps understanding, replace my term "new disc" with "any sufficiently large hard disc which is not locked".
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Irondrgntp wrote:Hmm, I almost fully understand the concept. So, you mean a hotswap would be for say, a forced error by disconnecting the IDE DVD cable -- unlocks -- and then what ever else like ... building, exploring, or locking (assuming you have the correct eeprom. Obviously I have no real eeprom backup so this would not apply....
People uses a hotswap method to install a softmod using XboxHDM when they don't have access to a retail game with an exploitable game save. What you need to know is that the Xbox unlocks the HDD(using the key/password stored in the eeprom) on console startup and the HDD locks itself down on loss of power(configurable setting in HDD's firmware).

Basically, you take your unmodded Xbox and bring it close to your computer(or the other way around :P). Open the top case and boot your Xbox. We're assuming the Xbox is unmodded and boots just fine to the dashboard. So once the xbox is fully booted, your Xbox HDD will now be in an unlocked state. The trick is to detach the IDE cable but not the power cable. Your HDD is still powered (from the Xbox console) and still is in an unlocked state. You then plug it to your computer and fire XboxHDM like you would with an already unlocked HDD. Once your modifications are made, you just power off your computer and your Xbox. Your HDD relocks itself and will be ready to boot your softmod on your Xbox. However, if your Xbox console isn't able to unlock the HDD in the first place, like yours, doing this technique will bring nothing because you would plug your computer's IDE cable into a still locked HDD. On top of that, since the Xbox wasn't able to unlock the HDD, it will throw an error code 06 and shut itself down after a timeout period.

I thought you knew what hotswapping was since you described a similar manipulation from your part a few posts back.

Anyway as I said, power your Xbox HDD only from your computer when using XboxHDM; hotswapping will do no good in your situation.

I just ordered an eeprom reader, rather than taking the chances of screwing up and wasting money and materials. When I receive the reader, I'm going to do exactly what you said and use the NEW, real eeprom bin file to lock the HDD to the Mobo AFTER I rebuild it (first unlocking with OLD eeprom.bin..... is this all correct and making sense?
Good, I hope you know how to properly desolder SOIC8 chips. Once you extract the data, you'll be able to create a XboxHDM iso with it along with the necessary files to put on the C:\ and E:\ drive and build a new HDD. While you wait for your eeprom reader, take the time to try and find a bigger HDD, IDE preferably. You can also use a SATA<->IDE adapter along with a new SATA HDD but there is a chance you might run into trouble as compatibility of such adapter coupled with specific HDD models are something erratic. Check the forums to spot a working combination.

I personnally would have bought a modchip since it must be around the same price as an eeprom reader. Your problem would have been solved and in a much easier fashion since you wouldn't need to build your HDD with XboxHDM. Desoldering and soldering the eeprom chip is more work than installing a modchip IMO.
Irondrgntp

Post by Irondrgntp »

Very good info, thank you!

I did not know I would be desoldering or soldering at all :(
I figured I could use the "fake" eeprom to unlock the hdd since it matches on the hdd and then rebuild and lock with new, working eeprom that matches Mobo......

I can't use my hdd I have now at all?? :(
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Its not a necessity to remove/desolder the eeprom chip to be able to get a reading off it - there's a few tutorials around the web showing both methods.
Is your reader like this one off ebay ?
Irondrgntp

Post by Irondrgntp »

Albatross wrote:Its not a necessity to remove/desolder the eeprom chip to be able to get a reading off it - there's a few tutorials around the web showing both methods.
Is your reader like this one off ebay ?
Yes that is the same exact one! I ordered that specific one from eBay too. I just want to know if I could unlock with fake eeprom then rebuild over with new real eeprom an lock with it too on this hdd.
Irondrgntp

Post by Irondrgntp »

Bump. No additions to the latest response?
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

If you bought such EEPROM reader then no, you don't need to desolder the EEPROM chip.

Just lock your already unlocked HDD with the key extracted from the chip using XboxHDM.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Irondrgntp wrote:[url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xbox-EEPROM-R ... 0b7bc6d04/[/url] ... is the same exact one!
Right. Now when you use it to recover the EEPROM data, don't be surprised if you have to try many, many times with Ponyprog read / X80X switch-on before you get it to read the data. Timing is everything. Be persistent, it'll do it eventually.