Lock hardmodded hard drive for softmodded Xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
b0043

Lock hardmodded hard drive for softmodded Xbox

Post by b0043 »

Hi there.

This is my first post and hopefully you all can help me.

I have several xboxes with different versions of modding. I have decided to try and get them up and running.

My first query is that I have a hard drive which I had fitted into a hard modded box fitted with a xenium ice chip. This chip is now faulty. I want to know if I can put this hard drive into a softmodded Xbox and still have the games and apps etc which were on the chipped box. I get an error 05 which I have read means that the drive is unlocked. Is it merely a case of locking the drive with aid or some other software and I will be good to go.

I don't anticipate it will be that easy, but I would appreciate any suggestions or advice you all can give.
professor_jonny

Re: Lock hardmodded hard drive for softmodded Xbox

Post by professor_jonny »

do you have a backup of the eeprom from the softmodded xbox ?

if not do you have the original hdd for the softmodded xbox?
b0043

Post by b0043 »

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I found a CD with an eeprom on it, but I'm not sure it is for the Xbox I have. I have only modded three or four xboxes so I have a one in four chance it is the right one. Will I brick it if its not the right one or will it just not work?

The softmodded Xbox still has the original HDD inside
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

b0043 wrote:My first query is that I have a hard drive which I had fitted into a hard modded box fitted with a xenium ice chip. This chip is now faulty. I want to know if I can put this hard drive into a softmodded Xbox and still have the games and apps etc which were on the chipped box.
Possibly.

First thing you should do is recover the EEPROM (eeprom.bin) from your softmodded box - assuming the softmod is working, it will either already be dumped in a folder called backup (or similar) on the soft mod's hard drive, ready for you FTP off it, otr you can use an installation disc (AID/HeXEn/Slayer's/Frosty's, I prefer HeXEn) to get it dumped onto the hard drive or a memory card. When you've done that, let us know, we'll move from there.
blighty

Post by blighty »

Tsop flash the xbox with the dodgy chip ;)
b0043

Post by b0043 »

blighty wrote:Tsop flash the xbox with the dodgy chip ;)
Not done tsop before. Is it simply a case of soldering the points on the main board and the unlocked hard drive will work straight off the bat?
ellowmatetyler

Post by ellowmatetyler »

You could just go into about xbox in unleash x if that's your dash and write your hdd key down. Then use a computer to lock the hdd with that key. I've never tried it but it might work
Using Tapatalk
blighty

Post by blighty »

b0043 wrote:
blighty wrote:Tsop flash the xbox with the dodgy chip ;)
Not done tsop before. Is it simply a case of soldering the points on the main board and the unlocked hard drive will work straight off the bat?
not exactly, once soldered you have to flash the tsop with either evoloutionx dashboard or with gentoox loader or raincoat etc,

after that yes it should do, i'd say very likely it will boot straight up, small chance you may need to make a boot disk.

there's a few things worth making sure you understand, bios size , xbox version, and partition table ( does your drive have a g drive or one big f drive? )

if you don't have a plenty full supply of xbox's then do a little reading up first.
b0043

Post by b0043 »

spicemuseum wrote:
b0043 wrote:My first query is that I have a hard drive which I had fitted into a hard modded box fitted with a xenium ice chip. This chip is now faulty. I want to know if I can put this hard drive into a softmodded Xbox and still have the games and apps etc which were on the chipped box.
Possibly.

First thing you should do is recover the EEPROM (eeprom.bin) from your softmodded box - assuming the softmod is working, it will either already be dumped in a folder called backup (or similar) on the soft mod's hard drive, ready for you FTP off it, otr you can use an installation disc (AID/HeXEn/Slayer's/Frosty's, I prefer HeXEn) to get it dumped onto the hard drive or a memory card. When you've done that, let us know, we'll move from there.
OK, I have recovered the eeprom from the soft modded box. I have managed to get it into the existing unlocked drive with my games etc on it.

New problem is with locking the bugger. I tried to lock it with xboxhdm 1.9 on an old computer. However, the primary ide socket on that one doesn't work and 1.9 won't allow me to choose secondary master/slave where my HDD and my CD drive is :-( I then discovered xboxhdm 2.2, and created a lovely bootable USB drive which works on my newer PC which does not have built in ide socket, but not on my old one despite me choosing USB as the default boot method. I just get disk failure :-( .

I've done a lot of reading and just can't find an obvious explanation into what I'm doing wrong.

I also attempted a tsop on one of my other boxes and made an arse of it, so I am down to two now ;-)

Any suggestions welcome
blighty

Post by blighty »

If your 2 xbox's are the same model you could flash the eeprom so that they both require the same hdd password but you will not be able to use these two xbox's on the same network as they would both have the same mac address.

I've done that a few times over the years.
b0043

Post by b0043 »

blighty wrote:If your 2 xbox's are the same model you could flash the eeprom so that they both require the same hdd password but you will not be able to use these two xbox's on the same network as they would both have the same mac address.

I've done that a few times over the years.
Blighty

Both my remaining xboxes are 1.0's. I have the password for my softmodded 8gb and one for my 160gb which used to be in my now duff hardmodded box. I have a 200gb drive which I don't think I have a password for and a stock 8gb taken from my other duff hard modded machine that the 200 used to be in.

I wouldn't anticipate them being on the same network as they would be standalone wouldn't they?

Would this method lock my drives with my games on them or would I need to start from scratch again?

A link or a step by step would be appreciated, as I have been at it the last couple of days with little joy.

Thanks again.
blighty

Post by blighty »

Sorry mate dumb reply on my behalf, your trying to use the hdd from a hard modded drive on a softmoded xbox, sure you may be able to lock the hdd with a eeprom swap however this would involve unlocking any drives that was previously tied to the old eeprom so you can still boot them which kinda revolves around having a hard mod,

curious to know why your tsop flash failed also as imho this is the best thing you can do with any xbox with a flashable bios every xbox that passes through my hands gets the tsop lick if it can. it's worth killing a few if thats what it takes to learn how to do it :)

don't give up m8, were in the world are you cos i would sort it for you if i can get my hands on it, it's a lot easyer when I can see it & set about it with my mallet n such ;)

Also what model was the one that is now broken?
b0043

Post by b0043 »

Blighty

I took a break from xbox today as my lack of soldering skills on what looked a relatively easy task were harshly exposed yesterday.

Too much heat put paid to a solder pad methinks! :oops:

That Xbox was also a 1.0. Not sure how I ended up with three mind you!

I am located in the north east of Scotland, and I am determined to get these larger hard drives functioning even though it might mean creating from scratch.
(Hope not!)

I don't have access to a functioning hardmodded box any more.

I thought about the chimp method too, but none of the controllers I have found in the house so far do the job. Might require a trip to cash converters to get a genuine one if that's the way I end up going.

I know I can softmod the other stock Xbox I have too, but it would be nice to get those bigger drives working and not to have to transfer all the games again, or even worse lose them altogether.

As before, any advice welcome.
blighty

Post by blighty »

If you struggling with soldering why not try using this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255229

[Edit] After reading the reviews of that Halfords stuff Maybe try something more like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/circuitworks- ... -tip-n74aa or http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/electrically- ... aint-n36ba

I lost my temperature controlled iron a while ago and only have a cheap £9.99 one myself but i have found that getting it up to temperature enough to melt the solder then switching it off and doing my soldering seems to work great - I can slide the solder from one pad straight to the next without messing about with tiny bits of wire and tweezers.

don't give up buddy :)
Koitsu

Post by Koitsu »

Is the hardmodded 160gb locked? If it isn't, you can make a bootable disc with xboxhdm. It will lock your hdd to the softmod with all your stuff, provided that the disc you make with xboxhdm has the eeprom from your softmodded xbox. Actually, though you'd still need to make the bootable disc, I think you can just type in the HDD Key from your hddinfo.txt file in your softmod's backup folder, but of course, it's long as hell, and just waiting for input typos.

If the hdd is locked, then you'd need the HDDLockDisablePassword from the hddinfo.txt file from the hardmodded xbox, or you could also make another bootable disc for that xbox, with the eeprom from that xbox.

The tutorial.txt from the hboxhdm folder explained it well enough even for me, so if you have the required eeprom backup(s), this can be done this way. if your pc can't use the Primary Master IDE...can you use a friend's pc...?
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

Use DOS locking tools. It doesnt care primary or slave etc. Just have your HDD key and type it in