question about more cooling

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
scroeffie

question about more cooling

Post by scroeffie »

i did put a copper shim 0.8mm on the cpu of my boxee box my temps before this where 60c watching a bluray
now when watching a bluray my temps are 30/31c stable thats a big improvement

is this alsow possible for the xbox ? putting a coppershim between the cpu and cooling
asbo

Re: question about more cooling

Post by asbo »

You really only need a shim if there's a gap between your CPU/GPU and your heatsink, which is a design flaw the xbox doesn't have.
The easiest way to improve cooling on an xbox is to remove the nasty bubble gum looking thermal paste and replace it with something better like Arctic Silver, although I imagine anything would be better than the bubble gum stuff!
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

Water cooling is the best option.
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

80mm fan combined with thermal paste replacement offers good performance altough you need to physically mod the case to fit the 80mm fan.

My Xbox sits at 42°C-43°C under heavy system load using good thermal paste and a generic 80mm fan. Maybe temps could be better if you use a high performance 80mm fan. There are expensive fans from reputable brands that provide exceptionnal airflow.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, I set my fan to around 50% in my BIOS. My Xbox is still fairly silent; silent enough to not be disturbed by the fan during a quiet scene in a movie.
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

psyko_chewbacca wrote:80mm fan combined with thermal paste replacement offers good performance altough you need to physically mod the case to fit the 80mm fan.

My Xbox sits at 42°C-43°C under heavy system load using good thermal paste and a generic 80mm fan. Maybe temps could be better if you use a high performance 80mm fan. There are expensive fans from reputable brands that provide exceptionnal airflow.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, I set my fan to around 50% in my BIOS. My Xbox is still fairly silent; silent enough to not be disturbed by the fan during a quiet scene in a movie.
already did the case mod 80mm fan etc thought maybe could me more cooler with copper shims thanks for the info guys
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

xboxprince wrote:Water cooling is the best option.
I't may be the best option but liquid co2 is the most fun method :-)

you could lapp the heat sink as they are just extruded aliminium and not perfectly smooth to start with it helped a lot with the phat xbox 360 it may do the same with the xbox.