Softmod Gone after..NFS most wanted dash update.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
sealeysonic

Softmod Gone after..NFS most wanted dash update.

Post by sealeysonic »

Hi all...i have a 1.6 xbox that i was playing Need For Speed Most Wanted.....I clicked on "xbox live" in the game by accident...it did a dash update as the network cable was plugged in...."do not switch off the xbox" so i did not turn it off.....after a reboot i first got error code 21...then after a hard reset/power off all i get is the stock MS dash...ok i thought i`ll just "soft mod" it again....useing splinter cell etc....but after loading the game and loading the Linux profile...the xbox flashes a white screen then reboots to dash(or game if its left in)....never came across this before....Its my 3rd spare xbox so no harm done.

Plus in the new MS dash theres loads of Audio tracks i did nor know was there.
mrmajikbus45

Re: Softmod Gone after..NFS most wanted dash update.

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Use Hexen or Slayer's 2.98 to access a file manager. If the data's still there, the softmod is probably still intact. Please screenshot a picture of your E:\ directory when you run the file manager from either dash. From there, we can help more.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

I have Slayers 2.98 but without a softmod the xbox wont read the disk.
blighty

Post by blighty »

sounds to me like the dvd is not reading the disc rather than anything else, I think the reason your screen goes dodgy when you try run the save game exploit is because your machine is already exploited.

try another disc or disc drive or if that doesnt work you and you have the eeprom stashed on your pc somewhere you can always build a hdd from scratch with Xbox Hard Drive Manager v1.9 r

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/download-file-857.html
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

blighty wrote:sounds to me like the dvd is not reading the disc rather than anything else, I think the reason your screen goes dodgy when you try run the save game exploit is because your machine is already exploited.

try another disc or disc drive or if that doesnt work you and you have the eeprom stashed on your pc somewhere you can always build a hdd from scratch with Xbox Hard Drive Manager v1.9 r

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/download-file-857.html
I have the Stock 8gb hd somewhere.
blighty

Post by blighty »

you should be able to pop that back in get a new copy of your eeprom and re build your softmoded larger drive with xhdm. failing that theres always the mod chip route.
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

sounds like a plan....the 8gb hd has chimp on it...so im thinking i can clone the HD back to normal.... :D
blighty

Post by blighty »

Do you know what? i have no clue how to use chimp, however i have a feeling cloning involves losing data on your big hdd.
not sure if that is going to be a problem.

Im sure there is a way to just fix the bad softmod or bad ms dash files using xhdm and lose nothing but it does require the eeprom to gain access, have a look for that 8gb
sealeysonic

Post by sealeysonic »

blighty wrote:Do you know what? i have no clue how to use chimp, however i have a feeling cloning involves losing data on your big hdd.
not sure if that is going to be a problem.

Im sure there is a way to just fix the bad softmod or bad ms dash files using xhdm and lose nothing but it does require the eeprom to gain access, have a look for that 8gb
Well...ive used chimp a few times...the guide on here is great....if im right the Basic setup on the stock HD will repair the soft mod...and mabe leave the other partions alone....if not then thats fine as there was not much on there anyway as ive only had the xbox 2 weeks.....it cost me £1.60 on ebay.
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

Your C drive has been wiped and replaced with a 5960 dash (aka back to stock) but you do have options
1)Since you have Splinter Cell, boot the XBOX delete the old SC and Installer saves and copy over new ones and remod
2)You can unplug the DVD and hotswap and rebuild using XBOXHDM
3)If you can find the old stock HDD and have a PC with a 2.5 floppy drive you can dump the eeprom from it to floppy and use it to access the problem HDD (you can also use XBOXHDM to copy the C drive from the stock HDD to the problem HDD essentially remoding it)

And since NFS was able to access the real C and overwrite Im assuming your using SIDxxx based mod and would suggest switching to either Babylon or Ndure to avoid such a future occurence