Evolution X To UnleashX

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
plauge

Evolution X To UnleashX

Post by plauge »

Hi all

Could anybody help me in simpletons terms in switching my dashboard from evo to unleashx
psyko_chewbacca

Re: Evolution X To UnleashX

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Well, on the Xbox, booting to a dashboard involves the BIOS launching an executable in a pre-determined path. This path is statically coded in the bios itself and so normally you can only change it by flashing your BIOS (unless you have a live-configurable BIOS that takes it's configuration from a file on the HDD).

What I'm telling you is that you need to find the correct executable file that is being launched by your BIOS and replace it with your new dashboard executable. Most BIOSes come with at least 3 default search path. Each team had it's preference but the most common one was E:\evoxdash.xbe. I'd start to look there and then move to other drives. Maybe you've got a C:\evoxdash.xbe.

If none of the 2 exist, start by checking for any executable (.xbe file) sitting in the root of either C:\, E:\, F:\, G:\ (it's possible that you don't have F:\ and/or G:\ drive if you still have your stock HDD). Do not touch C:\xboxdash.xbe as it is the stock MS dashboard, you want to keep this. Evolution-X dash use a support file called config.ini so the xbe you are looking for will be in the same directory as the config.ini file. The config.ini file can only be in the same directory as the Evox XBE so don't delete any xbe that isn't in the same directory of a config.ini file.

Once you have located the targe xbe, rename your unleashX xbe to the exact same name as the xbe from the evolution-X you want to replace. Then, via FTP, delete Evolution-X dashboard files:
-.xbe file
-config.ini
-media folder (not sure if it's the right one, you might want to wait for someone else to give you confirmation)

Via FTP, copy all the files from UnleashX (should contain at least the xbe, a xml file and some other files/folders) in the same location where your EvolutionX files were.

You must not reboot your Xbox between the time you delete EvoX and copy UnleashX over.

Once the transfer is over, power cycle your Xbox and you should boot to UnleashX.

If something doesn't work right, you can always burn either Auto-Installer Deluxe, Slayer's Evox or Hexen image to a DVD and boot from it. You'll have FTP access to fix the problem.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Jeez, you made that entirely too hard. Here's an easy way... FTP the UnleashX folder into E:\Apps.
Download and burn as an image either Slayer's 2.98 or HeXeN. Use it's default dash tool to have it point at the UnleashX. Call it a day.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

psyko_chewbacca wrote:...burn either Auto-Installer Deluxe, Slayer's Evox or Hexen image to a DVD and boot from it.
...is the right answer.
blighty

Post by blighty »

so much easyer to download an unleashx.xbe using linksboks rename it to evoxdash.xbe and replace the one that is on either C or E drive.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Of course that's correct if your BIOS has E:\evoxdash.xbe or C:\evoxdash.xbe in its boot sequence.

But it for some reason OP's BIOS, or softmod, doesn't take any of those 2 paths into account, OP will still boot his Xbox to EvoX and he'll be one sad fellow...
blighty

Post by blighty »

Anyway! why are you not asking us how to make Xbmc4xbox the default dash? Lol
plauge

Post by plauge »

blighty wrote:Anyway! why are you not asking us how to make Xbmc4xbox the default dash? Lol
I might do yet, anything other then evoX, just not the look im after :D

Thanks for all the replies guys
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I use unleash x because i tend to break XBMC now and again. And the FTP is faster in Unleash than XBMC. The file browser can open a text editor for modifying text files. Hence my broken XBMC from time to time!

I do set up most other people with XBMC, since they really don't use a lot of the things I want with Unleash.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

plauge wrote:
blighty wrote:Anyway! why are you not asking us how to make Xbmc4xbox the default dash? Lol
I might do yet, anything other then evoX
Indeed :-)

...in which case HExEn is probably your answer, it'll automate the dashboard switch for both softmods and TSOP-flash/modchips.
plauge

Post by plauge »

Managed to do it via hexen very easily so thanks for the heads up, i ended up back with evoX though lol :D

When i softmodded my xbox and it installed evo x as my dash it must of been a very old version as it looked pretty terrible to be fair, didnt look so bad with a updated version, will still try xbmc in the next few nights

Thanks for all the replies