LCD for Xecuter 3

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
nidge

LCD for Xecuter 3

Post by nidge »

I don't know if anyone has posted about this before, but are there any LCD displays that can be used with an Xecuter 3 mod chip. Or does only the official one work?
http://www.theoriginalxboxshoppe.weebly.com
http://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/Computers-and-Consoles

Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 500gb sata hard disk, 1ghz CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p, blue LED's.
Crystal Xbox v1.4, Xecuter 3, 320gb sata hard disk, stock CPU, 128mb RAM, HD component 720p.
xboxprince

Re: LCD for Xecuter 3

Post by xboxprince »

nidge wrote:I don't know if anyone has posted about this before, but are there any LCD displays that can be used with an Xecuter 3 mod chip. Or does only the official one work?
Yes you can hard wire an hd44780 LCD screen to the modchip, it's the same one that is used for the arduino and the X3. Look it up on eBay they are like ,6 bucks.
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

Yep as stated, I wanted to do this myself but when I saw the amount of soldering required in this interesting guide I quickly gave that up!

Combined with the 'official' cable, the XLCD was virtually plug'n'play. The other advantage was the small size - it could be custom fit above controller ports 3 & 4. The 20x04 HD44780 screens I came across on eBay had a pretty large circuit board behind the screen
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

I looked at the same tutorial and I chose the second option for installation, as for the LCD screen they can be cut down to size, just make sure you get the ones where the tracers are only on the back of the screen and the top.
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

I have 2 X3LCD panels still wrapped up that im going to sell if your interested as I'm not getting much time to do owt with em :-(
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

nayparm wrote:I have 2 X3LCD panels still wrapped up that im going to sell if your interested as I'm not getting much time to do owt with em :-(
Since you said you have two could I buy one and he could get the other, because I have a control panel but it Dosnt have the screen :(.
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

Sure mate, we have started pm's anyway ;)
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

nayparm wrote:Sure mate, we have started pm's anyway ;)
Oh hahaha im dumb srry!!
xman

Post by xman »

Get the file out I say. This one was actually a "snap in" fit. I found the 4 X 20 white back-light with blue letters the best combo. These displays have a nice edge for mounting and a pinheader with cable so you only need to solder the chip end of the wires. The display was $11 to buy.
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

xman wrote:Image

Get the file out I say. This one was actually a "snap in" fit. I found the 4 X 20 white back-light with blue letters the best combo. These displays have a nice edge for mounting and a pinheader with cable so you only need to solder the chip end of the wires. The display was $11 to buy.
I already have the control panel though, it just dosnt have a screen so um trying to find one to fit into it.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

TC2004B from Vatronix fits above controller ports 3&4.

Check my mod log : http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... re-modders

I even explained how I managed to easily solder all the wires to the pads on the X3 modchip itself. It's somewhere in the linked thread.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

psyko_chewbacca, I had seen your post over on Assembler and was impressed by your modding skills! When I was looking at doing this your thread was the only one I came across where a non-Xecuter lcd was sourced that could fit over ports 3&4.

I tried emailing the sales support on a couple of different chinese websites but didnt get any response - I'm guessing they're interested in bulk orders. Can I ask where you brought your Vatronix LCD?
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

dan.h wrote:psyko_chewbacca, I had seen your post over on Assembler and was impressed by your modding skills! When I was looking at doing this your thread was the only one I came across where a non-Xecuter lcd was sourced that could fit over ports 3&4.

I tried emailing the sales support on a couple of different chinese websites but didnt get any response - I'm guessing they're interested in bulk orders. Can I ask where you brought your Vatronix LCD?

http://www.buyincoins.com/item/13100.html
psyko_chewbacca

dan.h wrote:psyko_chewbacca, I had seen your post over on Assembler and was impressed by your modding skills! When I was looking at doing this your thread was the only one I came across where a non-Xecuter lcd was sourced that could fit over ports 3&4.

You should head over to Alibaba and look for reseller. Some of them might be willing to sell you a small quantity for a reasonable price. I got 3 "sample" units for a moderate price a few years ago.

You just need to contact a potential reseller and ask for a quote on the number of unit you want. Most of them will accept Paypal or any standard platform to exchange money internationnaly and will ship using your preffered courrier service although most of them won't be really enclined to send their item by China Post. Better ask for at least Honk Kong Post or DHL/FedEx/UPS.

EDIT: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/4 ... 42558.html you should contact them to ask if they have any other color available.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

Cheers the for links guys, psyko_chewbacca, the 38mm height on the lcd you posted up sounds doable, I'll check alibaba out although I think that is the supplier on that page is one I had previously contacted. Thanks anyway!
psyko_chewbacca

Go ahead and contact them via Alibaba. It's a platform for global merchandise trading. I think you need to pay to post your merchandise there so they'd be dumb to ignore a business occasion if you can write a message that will draw their attention. ;)

I do have a spare unit I'd be willing to sell or trade if you are unsucessful in closing with them. It's a green backlighted unit.