Locking an HDD without knowing the password?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
HeckYeah

Locking an HDD without knowing the password?

Post by HeckYeah »

First off, I bought an original xbox and a bunch of games for it, all for only 5 dollars at a yard sale, a while back and the person selling it told me it was softmodded.
When I hooked everything up, I turned it on and got an error code. (forget which number it was, but nothings hooked up right now so I can't go check. Sorry!)
I looked up what the error code meant, and apparently it meant that the HDD/Hard Drive was currently unlocked. So then I looked up how to lock it, and it said I needed some sort of password and program. I have no idea what the password is and how to get it.

Is there a way I can lock the HDD without knowing the password? Is there a way I can get the password?

PS. I have no experience of modding or taking Xboxes/computers apart.
spicemuseum

Re: Locking an HDD without knowing the password?

Post by spicemuseum »

Unlucky :-(
HeckYeah wrote:Is there a way I can lock the HDD without knowing the password? Is there a way I can get the password?
No and yes respectively. It requires you to first obtain the EEPROM contents - which means taking the box apart and using an eeprom data recovery kit.
HeckYeah wrote:PS. I have no experience of modding or taking Xboxes/computers apart.
Unlucky :-(
blighty

Post by blighty »

You could try locking it with xbhdmanager using Team Assembly as the password, there is a good chance that if the hdd was unlocked it would have been done with configmagic
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

You can't relock with the master password, you can only unlock with the master password.....

It's probably worth connecting the hard drive to a PC and using Xplorer360 beta 6 to see if there is a file called eeprom.bin on there anywhere. If there is you can use that and xboxhdm to relock the disk. If not then you need an eeprom reader to get the eeprom contents.
trusty

Post by trusty »

HeckYeah wrote:First off, I bought an original xbox and a bunch of games for it, all for only 5 dollars at a yard sale, a while back and the person selling it told me it was softmodded.
When I hooked everything up, I turned it on and got an error code. (forget which number it was, but nothings hooked up right now so I can't go check. Sorry!)
I looked up what the error code meant, and apparently it meant that the HDD/Hard Drive was currently unlocked. So then I looked up how to lock it, and it said I needed some sort of password and program. I have no idea what the password is and how to get it.

Is there a way I can lock the HDD without knowing the password? Is there a way I can get the password?

PS. I have no experience of modding or taking Xboxes/computers apart.
No need lock the harddisk, just install a mod chip will solve your problem ...