Trusty 1.4GHZ/733mhz 128mb ram

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
blighty

Re: Trusty 1.4GHZ/733mhz 128mb ram

Post by blighty »

davidthomas wrote:I am working on the pics right now. Later tonight I hope to get them on here.
is Trusty going to be ok with you doing this? He has only just graced us with his presence on our forums & I would rather he stick around and sell us all more mobo's than have some pics and upset him.

If he's cool with it then fire away as to be fair, i'm sure we would all love to see it.
davidthomas

Post by davidthomas »

I got the go ahead from trusty to post the pics of it! BTW only me and blighty are the only 2 people to have the speed control.
blighty

Post by blighty »

Been testing out Quake 3 Arena with this machine the last few days & I have to say the improvement is massive! I can set everything into the highest graphic mode and it handles it flawlessly! Can't wait to get home from work and bash it some more :D

Thanks again Trusty!
blighty

Post by blighty »

Just did a 80mm fan mod with very odd results indeed, as soon as i powered it back on the temp started going through the roof :shock: I tried cutting some of the slats away behind the fan for better air flow & even that made little difference. as soon as i spun the fan round to blow air in the temps dropped way down.

I'm thinking the fan on the cpu heatsink is causing some turbulence that is disturbing the 80mm fan but i'm just guessing at the moment.

more testing needed ;)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

blighty wrote:Just did a 80mm fan mod with very odd results indeed, as soon as i powered it back on the temp started going through the roof :shock: I tried cutting some of the slats away behind the fan for better air flow & even that made little difference. as soon as i spun the fan round to blow air in the temps dropped way down.

I'm thinking the fan on the cpu heatsink is causing some turbulence that is disturbing the 80mm fan but i'm just guessing at the moment.

more testing needed ;)
blowing air in from the back will reduce the temps more than sucking air in, because the first thing to get hit with cold air is the CPU/GPU.

only downside is you will get more dust in the long run & unless you have cut the sides off the metal shielding, you will get hot air circulating in the case.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
blighty

Post by blighty »

Rocky5 wrote:unless you have cut the sides off the metal shielding, you will get hot air circulating in the case.
I didn't fit the metal shielding in the first place :D

I really don't want a pile of dust rammed into my cpu adaptor so I am going to have to fix the turbulance or put the stock fan back in :|
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

I don't think its turbulence - in some heat transfer applications it is actually actually designed in. Is there anyway the heatsink has been moved/dislodged at all?
blighty

Post by blighty »

Good shout Dan, Checked the heat sink was still seated nicely which it was, so tried dropping the stock fan back in again and temps go back to normal again.

maybe this antec fan is poo and can't move enough air so i moved the fan on the cpu heat sink closer to the exhaust fan and although I don't own an airflow meter ( i'm sure i could make one ;) ) I can tell the flow of air in either direction is noticeably less just with my hand.

makes me even more convinced that i have a turbulence issue, next step to move the cpu heat sink fan further away and re test.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Noctua 80mm fan pushes a lot of air. What I use in my xbox.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

blighty wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:unless you have cut the sides off the metal shielding, you will get hot air circulating in the case.
I didn't fit the metal shielding in the first place :D
I wonder whether this is part of the problem - a secondary role (or effect) of the shield is to limit the sources of air to further toward the front of the box - so it gets drawn over the CPU. If the air is sourced more widely, inc. vents towards the rear of the sides of the box, it won't be flowing over the CPU and cooling it. ...just a theory.
davidthomas

Post by davidthomas »

No disrespect to trusty in no way! But I had to remove the GPU heatsink and put artic silver under it. It looked like he used some type of clear glue or something like that and the heatsink was really scratched up. Once I redid that it dropped a few degrees just like that. I am not sure what he used but I am guessing it was because he cuts the black frame and the clamp will no longer hold the heatsink down very good. So I took another black plastic frame and trimmed it down and was able to keep all 4 sides that go around the heatsink and now the clamp work perfect! I also used arctic silver on the CPU which he had just some simple white paste. That also dropped it a few degrees. I did the tests one at a time.

So the artic silver is highly recommended and also smooth the bottom of the heatsinks if they are not perfectly smooth already. I also find that the newer passive style heatsink gives better results then the 1.0 model that has the fan on it. I change all the 1.0's that I have over to the passive style ones. Some people tell me that they get better results with the 1.0 heatsinks but I find it is the other way around.

Has anyone done any real tests to see which GPU heatsink really does run cooler?